Staking/securing a rounded carport

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
jadeddog

Staking/securing a rounded carport

Postby jadeddog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Here is the carport that I bought: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shelt ... p.html#srp

I have seen lots of posts regarding securing a "squared off" carport, where you have access to the vertical struts that attach to the legs of the carport. However, as you can see in the link and pictures, with the carport I bought (got it for super good deal) this won't be possible.

I will have 1/2" x 14" lag bolts on each of the 10 legs (shown as blue dots in the linked picture below). I will then obviously do a guy-line in the front/back opening (shown by the red line, in the picture linked below), but I'm wondering if that is enough? Ideally I would have some guy-lines from the sides of the carport as well, but I don't see how that would be possible really. All I can think of doing is doing ratchet straps in a X formation on the inside of the carport, but I've seen other stating that this isn't that great of a system.

Thoughts? Has anybody setup these "rounded-top" carports before?

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Re: Staking/securing a rounded carport

Postby Papa Bear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:54 pm

What you need is solid anchoring in multiple directions and at the feet. Whether or not that happens inside vs. outside the carport really doesn't matter all that much.

In my experience, the in-ine Xs (along with cross-bracing at the ends) works just fine on Costco-style carports, so I see no reason the same approach wouldn't work with yours.

Where did you read that it wasn't a good approach?

jadeddog

Postby jadeddog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Papa Bear wrote:What you need is solid anchoring in multiple directions and at the feet. Whether or not that happens inside vs. outside the carport really doesn't matter all that much.

In my experience, the in-ine Xs (along with cross-bracing at the ends) works just fine on Costco-style carports, so I see no reason the same approach wouldn't work with yours.

Where did you read that it wasn't a good approach?

on eplaya a few places, although i don't have a URL i can link to at the moment

so you don' think i need "external" guy-lines on the sides of the carport? you think that having the X tie downs on the inside (going straight down, to the adjacent leg, on the same side) would be adequate? what i'm failing to see is how a cross-wind would be handled.... i wouldn't have "lateral" force on the sides, only "downward" force on the horizontal bracing

I've added some green lines to the original picture i made to hopefully clarify what i'm talking about as far as the "inside X pattern" tie-downs

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:26 pm

There is one misconception about wind: it does not push that hard, it mainly sucks.

The overall shape of the carport creates an accelerated flow and low pressure above the structure.

I can not see a clear enough image of the carport to make out if the "X tie downs" are structural enough to keep the thing down.

Just go for some length of mule tape and enough spare lag screws. If not required for the carport perhaps for a real kite :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

jadeddog

Postby jadeddog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:There is one misconception about wind: it does not push that hard, it mainly sucks.

The overall shape of the carport creates an accelerated flow and low pressure above the structure.

I can not see a clear enough image of the carport to make out if the "X tie downs" are structural enough to keep the thing down.

Just go for some length of mule tape and enough spare lag screws. If not required for the carport perhaps for a real kite :D

Yeah, the picture isn't the greatest. The idea would be attach a ratchet/tie-down to the horizontal brace that attaches to the leg, right above the joint where the leg meets the horizontal brace. Then run the ratchet/tie-down to a 14" lag bolt on the the second leg over. I have included a (badly done MS paint) picture that shows what I'm talking about. This is a cross section of the carport, as seen from the side. There are 5 cross braces, and then the horizontal brace. The red lines are the guy-lines coming out from the front and back of the carport. The green lines are the X tie-downs on the inside of the carport. The blue dots are the lags driven into the leg "feet" that have holes to accommodate, and are attached to the legs. Hopefully this helps.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:45 pm

If I interpret that diagram right, all of your ancho bracing is happening in one plane. You do want to get some going perpendicular to that as well.

An X across the back would be a good start, and you could put anchor points on either side a couple of feet inside each of the front corners, still leaving you room to walk between them.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Your drawings are good enough, it is the tarp reinforcement and seems I don't recognise.

Thinking about it is the best you can do to be prepared

How about a night glow X line attached on every available place like a spiderweb on the inside of the carport. And spreading any force over the web to the rebar / leg screws
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 pm

There is allot of overthinking in this thread.

Just do the X cross braces to strong anchors on the inside corners and you are done.

The darn thing will be rigid in all dimensions if you follow instructions fully when building, so your job is to prevent it from lifting and flying away.

Going cross-plane or that line at the ends going straight out and decapitating you every time you gotta piss ... not needed.

KISS is good.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”