** First Aid **

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

** First Aid **

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

First Aid is an essential part of any packing list. :)

Yes, there are 6 fantastic Medical Stations at Burning Man . . . but do you really want to walk a few blocks for a humble alcohol wipe and a bandaid? Wouldn't you like to save the day for yourself (or someone else) when--for minor ailments--it's not so difficult at all? . . . You bet your sweet, honey-baked ham you would.

Here's what Burning Man officially recommends that the Radically Self-Reliant include in their kits:

Packaged in an airtight container (Ziploc, Rubbermaid, etc): . . . . (I recommend a new Tackle box! -- Savannah)

A box of assorted sizes of adhesive bandages, aka “Band-aids”
    1 roll adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
    Moleskin
    1” and 2” Coban or similar self-adhesive bandage wrap (works better than “Band-aids” and tape in the dust!)
    Antibiotic ointment
    Antiseptic wipe packets
    Aloe vera gel for minor burns and sunburn
    Benadryl for minor allergic reactions, itching and a sleep aid too
    Antacid (such as Maalox)
    Anti-diarrheal medication (such as Immodium)
    Laxative (such as Ex-Lax)
    Saline eye wash solution
    Breathing barrier (with one-way valve) ⟵ for mouth to mouth…let’s try to avoid this
    Instant cold compress or zip lock bags to put ice in
    Non-latex gloves (size: large)
    Hydrocortisone ointment
    Bandage scissors or Medic shears
    1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
    1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
    One box sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
    One box sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
    Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
    Triangular bandages
    Tweezers
    Chapstick
    Sunscreen
    Vinegar (to mix 1:4 with water for Playa Foot prevention).
Make a small kit out of the above supplies to have in your pack, along with your map and water bottle. (Have this in a small zip-lock, or just stuff it all into one of the exam gloves.)

Moleskin
    Antiseptic wipes
    Adhesive bandages
    Antibiotic cream
    Sunscreen and lip balm with SPF
    I pair exam gloves

Optional items for a camp-sized first aid kit

Finger cots- these are great for keeping the dirt and grime out of wounds. Use them in conjunction with a dressing.

Alcohol wipes- use these to remove grease from around a wound before applying Benzoin. You can also use them to sanitize things.

Tincture of Benzoin- this comes in individually wrapped packages. They are swabs that you wipe on the skin around a wound (after cleaning said wound) to help the bandages stick.

Steri-strips- these are better than butterfly bandages for keeping wounds closed; use in conjunction with the Benzoin mentioned above.

Magnifying glass- to look for slivers and little tiny things.

Afrin- for nose bleeds

Any further questions can be addressed to 911@burningman.org.

Source, plus additional info about Playa Health & Safety, and the first edition of the ESD Playa First Aid Manual:
Source: https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... t-aid-kit/

Additional notes:

Other nice items I personally bring for myself (or a neighbor): ibuprofen and aspirin, Liquid Bandage (for cuticles), Solarcaine, Pedialyte powder, and tampons (even if I don't think I'm going to need them, 'cause stress can do funny things).

Keep all pills in original bottles! Don't take Tylenol for hangovers. And skip the medical marijuana--it's still illegal on federal land.

If you or someone you know (or encounter) requires medical assistance beyond what you or your
camp can provide, you may contact an Emergency Services Department volunteer or a Black Rock Ranger, or visit one of our
six Medical Stations. Stations are located at 5:15 and Esplanade, and behind the 3:00 and 9:00 Plazas. We also have satellite stations behind the 4:30 and 7:30 Plazas on H, and between the Temple and the Man. All are easily identified by a large, lit red cross. Trained emergency medical personnel are on duty 24 hours a day.

For additional insight into how other ePlayans make first aid kits, visit this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42867&start=30

*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Re: ** First Aid **

Postby misfit » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 am

your awesome Savannah, thanks.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 pm

misfit wrote:your awesome Savannah, thanks.

Aww, thank you! :D

See you in the dust . . .

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:29 pm

Ditto :)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Skuzzy61 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Nice Savannah.

I also recommend Neosporin for infections/cuts. It is awesome. A little goes a long way and it is water based so you will not have splotches of Playa stuck all over you.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Skuzzy61 wrote:Nice Savannah.

I also recommend Neosporin for infections/cuts. It is awesome. A little goes a long way and it is water based so you will not have splotches of Playa stuck all over you.

Thank you, yes--It's on the list under "antibiotic ointment"! :D

I have some in my main kit, and some in my Bag of Wandering's kit. I hate that feeling when I've cut myself and have been able to clean and bandage but not moisturize & coddle the wound with the extra antibiotic. For me, a percentage of Neosporin's benefit is psychological. :lol:

lucky420 wrote:

Ditto :)

<3

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Skuzzy61 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

I saw the generic "antibiotic" and wanted to cast my vote for one particular one.

Cannot have cats and not have Neosporin around. :) Best stuff there is for those pesky little love scratches.

Damn fine list Savannah. That could be a snapshot from our medicine cabinet in the RV. :D
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Skuzzy61 wrote:I saw the generic "antibiotic" and wanted to cast my vote for one particular one.

Cannot have cats and not have Neosporin around. :) Best stuff there is for those pesky little love scratches.

Damn fine list Savannah. That could be a snapshot from our medicine cabinet in the RV. :D

I cannot take credit for it, I just went looking for the info . . . it's directly from the Burning Man website, with only some thoughts, links and notes added. My personal list is in the link to another First Aid thread. (It's not too different.)

I grew up with cats . . . I too, have those Neosporin memories. :lol:

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 am

The great thing about having a fantastic playa first aid kit is that it doesn't cease being a fantastic first aid kit when you get home . .

I was leapfrogging around my dainty apartment and put a foot down too close to a trash bag I had impatiently chosen to take out while I was in the middle of unpacking. As it happens, I'd cracked a glass on my departure day, put it in a thick Grocery Outlet style reuseable plastic bag and then put that in the trash, and somehow the glass had gone from cracked to broken. As I attempted to step past the bag, a centimeter of glass poked through and raked my ankle but good. It hurt, but my first reaction was to laugh, as a few minutes prior I'd pinched my upper arm on a laundry basket whose handles keep falling off (YES, I NEED TO REPLACE IT, GOSH) . . . . and I knew the basket would leave a bruise (and it did). So I was feeling very hapless in general, and it was kinda funny to get a second stupid injury in 5 minutes.

Then I realized, "Oh, my ankle's bleeding, isn't it? That blood drip looks wide."

So I sat down and applied pressure for a few minutes, then pulled my kit from under the sink. Took a quick peek at the wound. Yep, that's gross. It would need stitches.

The stars of the show would turn out to be:

* Alcohol wipe
* STERI-STRIPS . . . 4 strips going one way, 4 going another, in a nice "X" (held my skin closed perfectly!)
* Neosporin
* Gauze square, applied atop
* Coban self-adhesive bandage, wrapped in two directions (checked above & below the site for circulation)

When it was done, I was actually quite pleased with my handiwork--it would've been sufficient in the wilderness, even if I had to hike out a little gingerly. I took my time getting dressed and hopped a bus to the hospital for 5 stitches (Oh God, it took almost 4 hours because I was absolutely fine compared to everyone else). The nurses at the ER were very complimentary of my work. :D And the resident who stitched me numbed it up nicely, and I didn't feel a thing.

global village idiot

Postby global village idiot » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 pm

There are two kinds of "Combat Lifesavers" in the Army - those who go to the class because they have to, and those who go because they want to. I was in the latter category, which means that I was always the one folks went to when they didn't feel good but didn't want the hassle of going to sick call. I kept a HUGE aid bag (larger than the one we were expected to have) and could usually treat most things that put a Soldier off his feed, and I'd be quick about it, whereas going to sick call always took hours.

Being a Combat Lifesaver (CLS), you seldom have to actually do anything medical - you're there for emergencies only, and in combat you're supposed to do your original job before you do anything medical ("fire superiority is the best tactical medicine"). About the only time when you're somewhere BECAUSE you're the CLS is on a rifle range.

I used to love being the CLS at the rifle range, largely because you can just sit there all day doing nothing but reading and minding your own business (NO ONE messes with the CLS), but when "business" comes your way, it's almost always some tiny thing the Soldier should be prepared for him- or herself.

I'd always make a big deal out of folks who come to me for bandaids, especially if they were Senior Noncommissioned Officers (Sergeants) or Officers - people who can afford their own bandaids and ought to know better. I'd gather all the junior enlisted Soldiers in the area around to do "hip-pocket training" on how to put a bandaid on an owie-boo-boo. They'd also get a sucker (I kept a ziploc baggie of them in my aid bag) for being such a brave patient. And while you could tell they were embarrassed and fuming over the spectacle I'd make of them, there wasn't a thing they could do about it because it was "training" (complete with sign-in roster). The junior enlisted Soldiers loved it because they got to watch me embarrass a Senior NCO or Officer.

I'll be bringing the "big Kahuna" aid bag to next year's event.

gvi

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”