Advice? Building a Raised Plywood Deck for My Pirate Ship (as you do)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Jordancc

Advice? Building a Raised Plywood Deck for My Pirate Ship (as you do)

Post by Jordancc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:18 pm

So I've built a 26' wooden pirate galleon for my camp and want to add a raised deck to the inside back of the ship. The deck will be 8' square and 6' off the ground. I have a general idea of how I'd do this to code in Defaultlandia, but would love advice about how other folks have built theirs for the playa.
Rough plan currently:
2 sheets 3/4 CDX for the flooring
4x4 post legs
2x6 rim joists
some 2x4s for bracing between the posts (in an X)

So each 4x8 plywood sheet will be sitting on a 4x8' rectangle made from 2x6s (the rim joists), and then I'll bolt the 2 frames together to make ax 8x8 square.
Qs:
*3/4" ACX plywood - OK with occasional weather, or do I need Marine ply / PT deck boards? Only sitting outside 2 weeks of the year.
*Do I need additional joists? I would with deck boards, haven't used plywood before. 3/4 is pretty rigid . . .
*Do I need to use Simpson strong ties to attach the posts to the joists, or can I bolt the post right onto the joist? The latter is preferable because I need to be able to remove the posts each year for storage, and I don't want to be screwing and unscrewing into the same stretch of wood repeatedly. Bolts would be better for longevity, and the Simpson ties have small holes for nails. Maaaybe I could drill out the holes to take bolts, but have no idea if that would be a PITA or not . . .
*Do I need to attach the bottom of the posts to the playa somehow? The deck will be bolted to the ship, so that will provide some rigidity.
Thanks!
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Advice? Building a Raised Plywood Deck for My Pirate Ship (as you do)

Post by Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm

8 x 4 sheet of ply needs joists 16" on center for the full 8' span. 2 x 6 is fine for 45" length. You do need joist hangers.

You can use bolts just fine, have big-ass washers and realize that friction needs to hold the thing up, not the shear strength of the bolt.

Use OSB ply floorboards. Warps much less in the low humidity. 3/4 is fine.

If you secure the posts to the playa via rebar or t-posts, using cross bracing should be sufficient.

If your posts are not anchored, you need shear walls in each dimension otherwise folks can sway the thing into a collapse.

I'd cut a couple sheets of ply lengthwise into 8 x 2 and use it for shear prevention.

Jordancc

Post by Jordancc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Awesome advice, Token! Re; Shear walls - I am bolting the posts to the ship (U shaped deck post ties with flanges on either side), which is plenty heavy. I'm thinking that will act as shear walls, but if not, Should the ply shear walls you suggested be placed near the top, center or bottom of the posts?
Thanks again.
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Jordancc wrote:Awesome advice, Token! Re; Shear walls - I am bolting the posts to the ship (U shaped deck post ties with flanges on either side), which is plenty heavy. I'm thinking that will act as shear walls, but if not, Should the ply shear walls you suggested be placed near the top, center or bottom of the posts?
Thanks again.
Top.

But since you are bolting to a larger rigid structure, not a big deal then.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”