Best shade structure from walmart

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Abbey2412
Burning Since: 2016

Best shade structure from walmart

Postby Abbey2412 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 am

Hi lovely burner friends,

I am coming from the UK and need to source a shade structure from Walmart (or other stores) in Reno.
I have a tent, tarpaulin and rebar already, but need to work out what is the best way to hold up the Tarp and create shade above the tent.

Please could you help me with recommendations for what i could use? Would a gazebo work for example if secured down well?

Thank you xxxxx

Tel
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Best shade structure from walmart

Postby Tel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 am

Costco carport?

Monkey hut?

Either of those will work - although you may struggle to get a carport if flying into reno. I'm flying in and have pre-ordered all the stuff to build a monkey hut. We had a test run (with smaller parts) here to make sure we understood how it went together, and it's totally doable to source and build in a few hours.

Honestly though, perhaps this is something that could have been better planned for more than 3 days before the start of the event!

Abbey2412

Postby Abbey2412 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:54 am

Thank you very much for your help, the reason this is so last minute is because I only found out i could attend on Saturday 19th!!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 am

Seriously..... camp next to a shady neighbor.

We're pretty friendly. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:25 pm

It going to be pretty rough finding what you need at that time. I don't even know if Walmart or other stores in that area will even have the products. Maybe a monkeyhut-type thing would work, but you need to be able to transport it too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 pm

Abbey2412 wrote:Thank you very much for your help, the reason this is so last minute is because I only found out i could attend on Saturday 19th!!

Now I am time confused, the 19th was that not last Saturday
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Abbey2412

Postby Abbey2412 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Yeah exactly..... 6 days to plan ::C:c

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

You're not the first.

See these for ideas. Hope the links still work.

Canoe wrote:
skyway34 wrote:OK, so I'm looking at shade structures. ... I'm really looking to buy something that requires a minimum of setup. Just needs to be enough for one person for four days.

angled tarp, two poles
viewtopic.php?t=40542
only use two guy-lines per pole

noah tarp (uses two poles)
suspended
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=70367&hilit=shade#p1038033
(note the two guy-lines per pole and per anchor point!!!)

or corner down
viewtopic.php?t=40542#p870689

Or just tent it and setup on the North side of something big for its shade, or
accept that with usual temperatures, by nine (maybe ten) you'll be abandoning your tent to avoid baking in the sun.

You can order things online and ship them to a UPS Store in Reno, accepting packages from any shipper.
Usual fee for the UPS Store is $5 a package. You don't have to register for anything.
Make sure their hours match when you'll be wanting to get your package(s). The Keystone UPS Store will likely be near something you're hitting for supplies (Save Mart grocery there). My favourite is the North McCarren due to low traffic. (my god, I have a favourite UPS Store...).
Example using NM.
Your Name
10580 NORTH MCCARRAN BLVD, STE 115
RENO, NV 89503
(775) 746-3988
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 pm

And the first and robust example is photo missing.

Looking for it.

I think this is it.

BUT, per pole: use two guylines going to the top of the pole, so the top of the pole can't blow around with the wind. 45 to under 90 degrees apart.
Won't really matter,... unless the wind blows. You don't know if the weather will be a walk in the park or not. Winds often at 25 mph, 40 mph isn't uncommon, and winds can exceed 75 mph.

simpleshade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Do make sure the ends of your rebar are covered. Someone trips and lands on an exposed end and there are horrible tearing injuries.

Tennis balls are cheap and available at the dollar store.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”