Carport replacement poles

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Carport replacement poles

Postby Joeln » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 pm

I'd swear I saw a post on here with a supplier for replacement poles for the Costco carports.
I've just about beaten google to death with terms like "replacement spare costco site:eplaya.burningman.org"
Does anybody remember where one can buy replacement leg poles for my carport?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Sham

Re: Carport replacement poles

Postby Sham » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I did a simple Google search and lots of sites came up. I'm not sure of exact sizes of the poles, but I know various companies sell them. I think the entire carport is just over $200 now, so it may be cheaper to buy an entire carport and use parts as needed.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 am

On your carport is a tag that lists the contact information of the manufacturer, where you can buy replacement parts I believe. There are also FB groups for carports (at least in Utah; maybe you could set one up in your home town if not).

I have a non-Costco carport and have also gotten additional parts.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Kingcanopy dot com. http://www.kingcanopy.com/content/repla ... -parts.asp
Not an endorsement or ad, simply a reply to the question. They sell poles and connectors for various size kits.
If they have the diameter but not the length you need, the poles are easy to cut down with a hack saw or pipe cutter tool.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Those work for King Canopy brand carports (and I've purchased spare parts for mine through there) but they're incompatible with Costco Carports in that they don't have those spring-loaded snaps on the end to hold the poles in place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:17 pm

That's probably OK, Costco carports didn't have those spring buttons until recent years. If you get the right diameter poles you can just drill a hole through them and the carport corner joint pieces and use pins like the older Costco carports did.

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Aha... you can also drill and add your own button-clip-locky-thingy for cheap and easy.
Search for "Snap Button Clip" for the push-button part to insert in the tube.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

asr9754 wrote:Aha... you can also drill and add your own button-clip-locky-thingy for cheap and easy.
Search for "Snap Button Clip" for the push-button part to insert in the tube.

Huh... I might just have to add some to my carport tubes. It would beat having to ratchet-strap the things together just to keep them from disconnecting.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't think I'd count on those spring buttons to hold up in serious wind.
I've had Costco 10x20s with those get blown apart in my back yard.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:39 pm

In my case it's not in an upright "house" configuration, but rather a clamshell type setup. This would just make it so I can use the ratchets just for cross-bracing, not for keeping the pipes from popping out of their joints. Even so, I don't know if I'd even need the snaps given how the cross bracing holds the pipes in place. It'd probably just make it more convenient during setup.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:29 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:I don't think I'd count on those spring buttons to hold up in serious wind.
I've had Costco 10x20s with those get blown apart in my back yard.

My 10' x 20' carport was put through the test this year when a huge downburst/dust devil/mini-tornado hit us at 9:30 & Esplanade. The only thing that saved it was the fact that I securely attached it to the Playa with cargo straps & 24" rebar (I know, I know.....Lag bolts would have been better). It lifted but didn't take flight like one of our other carports did. Some of my poles bent slightly but the springy snaps never failed.

It was all we could do to hold out other carports down when it hit. That is easily the worst wind I have ever encountered on Playa. For some reason our 3rd carport (held together with screws & not spring snaps) was not secured to the ground & it got mangled. While the spring snaps seem flimsy they sure held up when properly secured.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 pm

A guy at Jazz cafe told us about a small funnel cloud that touched down nearby and took some carports into the air. Nobody got hurt as far as he knew, but many things were severely wrecked.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Bbadger, I tie my clam shell with para cord as I'm assembling it. This keeps it together till I can attach the tarp. Nothing can 'pop out' and fall apart. I leve the cord in place. Canopy King has no little buttons.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm

I was doing something similar with the ratchets (and some mule tape in the previous years), but it'd be nice to just pop them into place put the tarp up, and then in the shade fix the ratchets just for cross bracing. I may just stick with paracord/ratchets anyway, to avoid needing to drill the pipes for a minor convenience at the beginning and end of the event.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 am

Bbadger, I have one section of carport in the back yard that used to come to the burn. Every joint and tube is drilled with eye bolts screwed in the holes. Very sturdy and very handy. The problem is that each joint needs to be labeled or color coded. All of my haphazard drilling made each joined spot different. I've heard this from other people too.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am

We need a Clamshell Club.

DSCF8315 - Copy.JPG

But yes, find the tag for the carport on the cover, and order replacement legs direct from the manufacturer. Surprisingly inexpensive, but shipping will be the killer.

Larry even fixed a Z Shade easy up canopy, one of the expensive ones, after it blew over the hedge from the neighbor's yard. Neighbor didn't want it back, so we scored a very expensive canopy for $35 in parts/S&H.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 am

I would certainly not substitute the clip buttons for ratchets! the clips are just a convenience to help the thing stay together during setup. Still need ratchets and stakes/rebar/anchor bolts!

Another thought: depending on the diameter of your poles, HomeDespot may have the right size in the chain-link fence post or EMT conduit departments.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 pm

I'll be needing 2 more legs to expand my clamshell. Its made up entirely of the longer poles. They may be at HDepo. If not I'll make it work.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 am

Ratty wrote:Bbadger, I have one section of carport in the back yard that used to come to the burn. Every joint and tube is drilled with eye bolts screwed in the holes. Very sturdy and very handy. The problem is that each joint needs to be labeled or color coded. All of my haphazard drilling made each joined spot different. I've heard this from other people too.

Ack, that could be a real pain to get right or I'd have to mark things nicely.

A friend mentioned that, at least on the Costco carports, the easiest method to get the pole connections right is to assemble it once and then spray-paint the joints and poles in the same color. Then you just match the colors up.

It wouldn't work quite as well with distinct sets of holes on each tube though, unless you had quite a few different colors or distinct markings.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:29 am

Free spray paint is available through our county 'hazardous waste' dept. Drop off your paint or garden chemicals. Pick up someone else's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”