Anyone built a RMax-type structure on a utility trailer

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
GrizzlyMtn
Burning Since: 2016

Anyone built a RMax-type structure on a utility trailer

Postby GrizzlyMtn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi,
I'm taking a golf cart to BM next year (Yes, I'm handicapped.) on a flatbed utility trailer behind my minivan. It occurred to me after I get the cart off I'd have a 5x8 platform to camp on. Has anyone ever used a flatbed as a "hexayurt" base?

Obviously, yes, custom made, blah blah blah. But has it been tried and already failed?

Thanks,
Grizz

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Anyone built a RMax-type structure on a utility trailer

Postby BBadger » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm

There was some talk about making a hexyurt "RV" of some sort like that, but I don't think it was actually made.

It sounds like a utility trailer would work fine for that as long as you can level it up and seal the bottom with something like some carpet. There might be more noise transmitted through the trailer frame too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 pm

You should google search Figjam's "playa pod"

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Since your hauling your golf cart to the event on that a figjam playa pod type might not be what you want.

Yes, build a smaller yurt onto the trailer, I think it's the 6ft stretch that will fit just right on your trailer. It's not big but there's room for a cot, small table and couple of stacking bins.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

Some points to consider:
  • Great if the playa turns to swamp/mud.
  • You'll need to secure the yurt to the flatbed, same as securing a yurt to the playa.
  • Building a yurt on the playa, you have full access around the yurt for installing the roof, etc.. It may be awkward to assemble the yurt on the flatbed. But perhaps you could build it sitting on the playa, then have it lifted onto the flatbed then secured down.
  • You'll need to go up a ramp or steps to the level of your yurt to get in and out.
  • Access through one of the angled stretched six yurt end panels might be awkward (a potential risk of falling off the flatbed?). But there are variations of them that have near standup entrances, so you could likely mod one to have the door face in an optimum direction for easiest/safest access.
  • Structures sitting on the playa get some cooling from the ground (hence a rug on that ground rolled out at night to insulate against cold). A yurt on the flatbed would be surrounded by heat.
  • The rest of the flatbed in sun would be gaining heat. And would be conducting it to the floor of your yurt?
  • So some type of insulation for the floor.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 am

I'd do a figjam playa pod type thing.
Build it tall enough to get the cart inside and have a big door at the rear.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:50 am

BBadger wrote:There was some talk about making a hexyurt "RV" of some sort like that, but I don't think it was actually made.

It sounds like a utility trailer would work fine for that as long as you can level it up and seal the bottom with something like some carpet. There might be more noise transmitted through the trailer frame too.

Someone did actually make one. I'm too lazy to look it up, was in DIY on Reddit probably. They used foam panels and tape, and then painted everything with several coats of rubberized sealant. Then strapped it down with a lot of ratchet straps, and drove it around. Somehow it did not disintegrate.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:11 am

Part of how hy’s work is the playa floor.

The floor of a hy is a massive heat-sink. Stays mighty cool when shielded by all that shiny stuff.

You would no longer have that property if you raised it.

But, otoh, you could plumb a swamp cooler in the floor and vent at the apex - might be fun to play with.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”