Parade Of Domes 2005

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
robotland

Parade Of Domes 2005

Post by robotland » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 am

I think we dome enthusiasts need to gather on-playa for a survey of BRC's finer architecture....Perhaps in the later part of the week when folks have had time to get their structures up and prettified.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

BadDawg

Post by BadDawg » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Sound like a good idea, that way rookies like me can see what I did
wrong and can get ideas for the following year.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:51 pm

I love this idea, it's kinda like what the Earth Guardians do as they setup tours of the best playa friendly systems for showering, grey water reclamation, etc. so others can get ideas for themselves. I'd also like to learn from the builders the pitfalls they encountered, what they used to flatten the strut ends, etc to make it easier.

I can't build a dome this year but there's always next. And I hope this Parade of Domes idea gets off the ground. It's a great idea.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 am

Very good idea indeed!
I am SO there!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:42 pm

I guess the next step would be to collate a list of Showdomes for the Parade....It's early, and much can change before August, but anyone who KNOWS they're bringing and building a geostructure and knows where it'll be, speak up and be counted!
I'll start.....

Planet Steve (Robotland)
"The Snowman", a three-domed structure, in Hushville. Domes 18', 11' and 6', stacked, total height (with beacon tower) approx. 32 feet.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:43 am

Be sure to have some scouting too. Not all cool domes are eplayan in origen.

(What a concept, walk into a camp and ask "Do you wanna be on a dometour on Wedensday?)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:15 am

We could make up brochures and some signs saying "Parade of Domes" like they do around Minneapolis every year (except theirs really say Parade of Homes)

I vote for Robotland to be the Dome tour guide!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:36 am

Well, who can do the most boring archtectural speak?
This little beauty brings to mind the late Prairie School. Note the way the flaps quiver in the 40 mph wind.
Well it's not me, because that exausted my imagination.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

LostMachine

Post by LostMachine » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:25 pm

I think this is a wonderful Idea. I think it should include all unique shade structures, not just domes.

Last year, on the last day I saw a structure built entirely of hyperbolic paraboloids.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HyperbolicParaboloid.html

Had I know earlier in the week I would have loved to have talked to the creator. I met him briefly but he was with some cutie and I didn’t want to intrude too much.

Another group that I did get to talk to made their dome out of a tessellated cube. It looked wonderful but it didn’t survive the wind : (

What if we put together a structure registry, a place where people could register their unique shade structure? Then have a camp where anyone throughout the week can look at what is out there. It might be possible to include pictures with the address of each structure.

Has anyone ever done a count of geodesic domes at Burning Man? There is no doubt in my mind the Black Rock desert has the highest concentration of domes world wide, but how many are there? Maybe the same group or theme camp could do a census?

I’m too busy this summer to put together a theme camp but if someone else wanted to, I’d love to help. I even have a domain name I’m not using that would fit:

www.Orbb.org

Any thoughts?
www.LostMachine.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:37 am

I think a Dome Camp'd be fun....A whole town of interconnected domes, with tubes between.

I was curious about the number of domes at BM, too- I started counting all of the domes in Brad Templeton's cool panoramic shots, and ended up losing my place.

Kudos on the architectural blather, Crypto!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

XS

Playa Arch-i-tectural Conservancy

Post by XS » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm totally down with the Playa Arch-i-tectural Conservancy! As principal Arch-itect of our camp, I would love to share designs and participate in any playa dome tour. This year i'm planning a design with double domes and an extended half pipe shade area that will resemble cock'n'balls from above, bird's eye view. You probably won't notice from the ground unless you're very clever of course.

Check out some of last year's arch-i-tectural ideas:

http://losangeles.tribe.net/template/pu ... ws&r=10025

See ya soon kids!
Too much is never enough.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:24 am

I'm actually waiting for the go-sign from MAKE magazine- I'm pitching them the notion of writing an article about building conduit geodesics and variations. Should know in a week or so.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Danger

Post by Danger » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:31 pm

I'll be there with my 20' dome. Don't know where yet though.

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Iron Rose will be there with a 24' 3v - not conduit, but heavy steel tubing and, if all goes well, a fitted cover, with a little extra somethin'somethin'.
Probably around 4:30/5 and a few blocks back.

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:24 am

Ferrous Flower, you will be my neighbor or near-to....I'll be in Hushville with The Snowman, somewhere near Ego and 4-5 o'clock.
Robotland's Alter Ego

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:03 am

We'll be back with our 16 foot PVC, parachute dome. We'll be camped with Hushville as well!
"To travel, to experience and learn - that is to live"

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:55 pm

Well, it would seem that 4:30/5 and a few blocks back is a Domeliscious neighborhood! I'll have to pop over to visit.

Should we maybe start a neighborhood dome association? Develop CC&R's?
(mmmmph! ...runs away! runs away!...)

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:43 am

I just got the okay from Media Mecca to do my article....and they're curious about the Parade of Domes as well- I think I'd better start working on what a good day and time to meet up might be....Suggestions, anyone? I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday, and neither sooner or later due to late arrivals/long assembly times on the early side and Fun Level Escalation on the later side. Perhaps a mid-late-morning gathering....How about 10AMish (not 10 Amish) at the Snowman in Hushville, on Wednesday? (Possibly a repeat on Thursday?)
Given the density of geodesics around that neighborhood, we might not have to walk much!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

kampkalamazoo

UPDATE

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:08 am

UPDATE on the P.O.D.- I have submitted it to the WhoWhatWhen as Wednesday, August 31st from 10 to noon. I might add Thursday as well. If you wish to participate, post your location here as soon as you know it or can guess. If you can, make a Parade of Domes sign and compose a humorous blurb about your structure. (Good copy might get used in my article!)
Robotland's Alter Ego

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:22 am

Sounds good, K-Kazoo! Wait...aren't you ME?

Parade of Domes HQ will be at the Snowman, in Hushville. I'll guess 4:30 and Ego, for now....we oughta know within 60 days or so. The Snowman is a stack of three domes- Shiny aluminized fabric on top, black mesh with CDs in the middle, and silver tarps on the bottom. A large stepped ramp/luge slide protrudes from the side. A silver Element will be parked nearby.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:30 am

I misread words all the time ... for some reason I read "a silver elephant will be parked nearby."

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:52 am

AntiM wrote:I misread words all the time ... for some reason I read "a silver elephant will be parked nearby."
It's Burning Man....maybe there WILL be!

(My Element's name, by the way, is Babar. I won't have time for this year, but I've considered making stuffed-fabric add-on ears, tusks and trunk to transform him...)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

XS

Parade of Domes

Post by XS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:37 pm

We'll be targeting 4:00 and Hysteria, if the land grab goes well on Monday.

Isn't it interesting most of the parade of domes camps are located somewhere around 4, 4:30, 5:00. Yo! The Eastside of the clock rocks!

Look for Camp Double Dome. Two 20' PVC/Parachute domes.

Are we there yet?
Too much is never enough.

robotland

Re: Parade of Domes

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:12 am

XS wrote:Isn't it interesting most of the parade of domes camps are located somewhere around 4, 4:30, 5:00. Yo! The Eastside of the clock rocks!
It means more content for the P.O.D. without lots of walking! Now watch- everybody else'll be at 10:00 and Hysteria.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Elemental666

Post by Elemental666 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:14 pm

I have no idea where we will be on the playa, but I'm bringing my 24' 3V wiff me... who should I track down and where on the playa to let the POD peeps know?

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:30 am

As earlier stated:
robotland wrote: Parade of Domes HQ will be at the Snowman, in Hushville. I'll guess 4:30 and Ego, for now....we oughta know within 60 days or so. The Snowman is a stack of three domes- Shiny aluminized fabric on top, black mesh with CDs in the middle, and silver tarps on the bottom. A large stepped ramp/luge slide protrudes from the side. A silver Element will be parked nearby.
I WILL try to make some P.O.D. signs for people to affix to their creations, and hopefully some sort of indicator for the HQ....I'll try to be right on the Town Round in the center of Hushville, but just look for the tallest structure. I don't think I'll have much competition there....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

POD Update #B

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:19 am

I've been thinking about taking votes during the POD for awards, possibly in multiple categories....Any suggestions about how to do this quasi-fairly, and on what the categories should be? So far I've come up with:

Best In Show (just an all-around kickass structure)

Innovative Materials Award (best/cleverest use of materials)

The Frank LLoyd Wrong Trophy (weirdest/most slipshod/worst concept...I don't want to be mean-spirited, though!)

I might just take the "summer camp" approach, and try to make sure that EVERY structure gets an award....Throw me some suggestions!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:32 am

Maybe the Frank Lloyd Wrong trophy should go to the structure with the most disturbing decor.

And the Guggenheimlich to the one with the most nauseous art.

The Cranky Neighbor award to the one with the most kickass audio setup.

An LNT award.

The Weekender award for the one with the most creature comforts (or some other title for the award. some people might not have a sense of humor about that. Of course, if they're that self-righteous, fuck 'em.)

That's all I've got for right now.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Thinly-veiled excuse to bump this thread. Sorry.

Post by robotland » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:37 am

Hey Domies! Don't forget to participate in the Parade of Domes 2005! The Core Event is Wednesday the 31st at 10AM, starting in Hushville, but those who are cool with it can show off their structures all week! (Like you wouldn't ANYWAY?)
Probably around the two-week countdown point I'll put out a call for all participants to locate themselves, so I can try to make signs for y'all.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 am

This is going in the on line schedule and the What Where When Why Whomever? aint it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”