Dome Workshop Project

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
rajski vrtlar
Burning Since: 2020

Dome Workshop Project

Post by rajski vrtlar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:24 am

Hey people. This project will need some time cause im still kid, and my english is bad. I have just 8 years of school. :roll:
I have 18 years and couple thousands of dollars for project. And im so intrested in domes. They will be my home.
I like BM but its lil pricey. Im not sure i will go, and if i go i need to fly, so my domes will not see the desert. But i will post a lot of pics/vids here.

First i need to consider where i can put the tools. I cant make noise in my home.
I have some candidates for work space (old house) but i dont want my thousand dollars pressing setup to rust :roll: so conditions need to be checkd.
I plan to use non galvanised pipes for my domes, they are cheap and not harmfull, but they are dirty, oily and black, need to be cleaned and painted.
For now im most intrested in 2v and 3v. I was thinking about building 4/5/6v domes before i read some Grey Coyote posts. But i dont even need that big domes, I was just opsessed. I actualy like tiny homes :)
I also want to earth shelter my domes in a way that not much weight is put on a dome. And hopefully make them undestructable.

Thing i dont like is sewing cover, i just dont wanna do that. Estetics is not important to me, and in case i need it, shrink wrap will do the job.
I have 33.7mm pipe on mind (outside diameter), wall thickness is 1.5mm, but i have a lot of pipes to choose. :)

So what you have to say about my ideas, and about domes at all.. Sorry for my english, and i have load on my mind so, excuse my disorder or whatever it is... :)

rajski vrtlar

Re: Dome Workshop Project

Post by rajski vrtlar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm

I see that this forum is closed. Sorry for that, im new at theese forum things, didnt expected that. Sorry, what to do now, dont know how to delete this..

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 pm

:D
Hi!
I don't know about "forum closed". Seems I am able to reply just fine. But you are an unusual poster here, since you do not plan to use your dome at Burning Man.

So, I have a suggestion: Now that you are learning to navigate these online forums, I think you should be able to find a forum about domes. All about domes only, I mean.
Good luck!

rajski vrtlar

Post by rajski vrtlar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I cant find it. Do you mean on this forum, or to google it.
Thanks.
Last edited by rajski vrtlar on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Google it.

Agaton
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm

I think Elliot means this sort of thing.

http://geo-dome.co.uk/forum/
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

rajski vrtlar

Post by rajski vrtlar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Got it.
Can someone move this to open discussion forum, or to trash.
My mistake.

Agaton
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Don't worry, rajski. I doubt you have offended anyone.
There are several Moderators here, and if this thread needs moving, they will see to it. No worries.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm Sarge. I founded Sextant. We like domes. You have some very good steel there ;)

An excellent resource is www.domerama.com

I recommend the 3V 5/9 Kruschke
Sarge

rajski vrtlar

Post by rajski vrtlar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 am

I like your work. Wached all your videos on domes. Hope i dont need to forge my pipes :D
Domerama calc. all day. Nothing but flat base. Thanks to Kruschke. 8)
I have idea, to avoid unnecessary engeneering.
Maybe i can just use pressing setup for slightly bigger pipe - 1 1/4
I was so frustrated about how much to flatten, and what diammeter hole to drill in pressing plates, and how much to grip in a vice while putting angles. Dont know how to calculate those things.
So this will give me more space for mistake, so even if im not so accurate in this zone, my pipes will fit perfect. :coffee:
I dont like overlaping on connections.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am

My advice is:

1) Do your best to get accurate hole-to-hole spacing.

2) Add approximately 1/16 of an inch or 1.5 mm over the actual size of the bolt when you define the size of your hole. You do need some clearance, but you also want to avoid a cascade of tolerances due to gravity that will make your final struts difficult to line up if your holes are too big.
Sarge

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”