Building Materials... Any thoughts?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Svensen

Building Materials... Any thoughts?

Post by Svensen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:56 pm

So I'm planning on building a 15 x 15 mughal tent and I'm not sure what I should use. I think a wood frame is obvious, but I can't figure out what kind of fabric to use. I've looked all over for some realtively inexpensive bulk fabric and all I can find for a decent price is muslin.

So I'm just curious if anyone has something that they've used and would reccomend, or maybe even just a good place to look

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:10 am

Is there an outdoor sign company near you? They get rid of billboard stock for cheap, if you ask nicely....
Canvas dropcloths are another readymade solution- NOT canvas TARPS, unless you want to throw down BIG bucks.
Good 'ol silver tarps, decorated with Krylon Fusion paint. (Regular stuff flakes off!)
Parachute- But CUT VENTS!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Svensen

Post by Svensen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:55 am

Nice, I can't believe I didn't think of the dropcloth thing!

I tried parachutes last year and for what I'm planning there would be a lot of cutting involved. The ones I used last year had a lot of seams all over and made getting any kind of stright cut really hard.

Thanks a lot though! you may have already saved my harebrained scheme
Leading the alpaca revolution for several hours now

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:34 am

I've avoided using canvas up to now, since whatever I use has to withstand Michigan weather....Pretty much stuck with silver tarps or plastic of some variety. I think I'll use some canvas this year, though. And truck-mesh studded with old CDs.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:38 am

I'm just throwing my voice in here to ensure that this forum stays 99% pure Michigan :-)

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:58 am

Power On, Mitten Bruthuh! (*raises hand, points to base of thumb in time-honored "Michigan Location Salute"*)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Svensen

Post by Svensen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:16 pm

heh, how did this turn into the Michigan thread?

Are there a lot of burners from MI?

And about the tarps... don't they get all loud and crackly in the wind?

and while I'm asking all these questions... why does it hurt when I pee?
Leading the alpaca revolution for several hours now

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:41 pm

I was raised in Michigan, know the approved mitten salute...and have also never used a cotton tarp for a structure at burningman (but love the silver ones). What is the point? That is for others wiser than I to merit - DJ

Uriah

Post by Uriah » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:36 pm

What about cheap bed sheets from thrift stores? I'm contemplating using them.

LostMachine

Post by LostMachine » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:15 am

Uriah wrote:What about cheap bed sheets from thrift stores? I'm contemplating using them.
That is what we used last year. You don’t even have to go to a thrift store. We told a hotel that we needed them for our church group, they filled a friend's hearse to capacity for us. (we never told them *what* church)

Anyway, they work great, they don’t make noise, they block the sun really well and they look good. I think the key is to use small panels with the edges folded over several times and sewn. This prevents shear forces from ripping them apart.

The downside is they take a long time to make and they won’t help much in the rain.

www.LostMachine.com

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:52 pm

Are there a lot of burners from MI?
Of course there are.
Michigan is a great place to be From.
We never lose our maps.
I came from there too, once.
(holds up hand) Was born here (points to center of hand), lived here for a while (points to base of hand), then moved up to here (points to fingertips), then back down here (moves to palm-near-the-thumb) then to over here (center of palm) and then WAAAAAaay out out to here (bends other arm till roughly shaped like California and points to elbow)...

Good thing I don't live in Nevada.

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:55 pm

LostMachine wrote: We told a hotel that we needed them for our church group, they filled a friend's hearse to capacity for us. (we never told them *what* church)
Brilliant.
How did you choose which hotel to ask?

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:07 am

mamagrrl wrote:Good thing I don't live in Nevada.
It's FLORIDA that's hard to bring out in the wrong company!
Robotland's Alter Ego

LostMachine

Post by LostMachine » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:39 pm

mamagrrl wrote:
Brilliant.
How did you choose which hotel to ask?
I don't know the name of it now. It was a big one in Portland it had about 500 rooms. Just make some phone calls, you'll come up with plenty.
www.LostMachine.com

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon May 02, 2005 8:46 am

Just started on the shade cover for the Snowman's observation deck....Heavy truck mesh-tarps cut into pentagons and covered with CDs....I discovered that enlarging an opening in the mesh with a pointed tool and then fastening the CD on with two washers (one on each side, and larger than the center hole of course) and a 3/16" pop rivet holds very well. The pop rivet technique also works well on the seams. Held to the frame with zipstrips.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”