Hexayurt Repairs - Any experience to share?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
rmax
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Church of Insubordination

Hexayurt Repairs - Any experience to share?

Post by rmax » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Hello lovelies,

Our camp's two hexayurts have served us well for 4 years, but they are in need of some TLC. Our bidirectional filament tape is losing its integrity. We're planning to remove it and replace it. Wondering about a few things:
* What's the best way to remove the old glue? Alcohol? Acetone? (It's in Gerlach so we can't test the various options before we go out in June to do the work.) No point in attaching new tape to old glue.
* What do you think about using roof sealant tape? https://www.walmart.com/ip/EternaBond-R ... 3=&veh=sem I only recently discovered this stuff and it seemed like it'd be ideal, though can't find anyone online who has tried it.

Thank you for your help!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Hexayurt Repairs - Any experience to share?

Post by Popeye » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 am

Never used it but they push the great "elongation factor" which mean it stretches. Fiberglass tape is used on hexayurts because it doesn't stretch.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

rmax

Post by rmax » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

That's a good point. Thanks.

We're considering the vinyl with rubber cement approach we've read/seen about and figured the roofing tape is pretty much that but with some of the work done. Hoping to improve in what we did before - something less susceptible to UV/heat damage that the fiberglass filament tape.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:54 pm

The old tape should be pretty crispy nd any glue left in should be able to whisk or brush off, at least mine always was. I would then wipe down with a water/vinegar solution. I found the tape harder to stick to dust build up.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Mistress Amanita
Camp Name: Silicon Village

Post by Mistress Amanita » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

First, where on the yurt will you use this tape? Is it to reinforce the edges? Is it to create roof joints or wall joints? Can you find it in 6" widths?

This tape is great for its purpose. I'm not sure how well it tolerates mechanical stress (tugging) and heat at the same time.

For mechanical stress testing, the thing is that the glue is tenacious... I mean REALLY tenacious. So, you might want to do a test run on spare pieces, or a window, if you have one.

Next, for heat stress testing, if you have a heat gun, or just the sun, if it's strong, heat it up, read the surface temperature with an infrared temp reader, to simulate Playa temps (should be able to borrow one... or, they're cheap to buy these days), and check out it's behavior. At non-Playa temps, it'll be elastic, but not too much. The big issue at higher temperature is, "Will the glue start to flow?". If so, the tape will soften up considerably and start to pull away from the surface, leaving the a sticky - REALLY sticky - semi-liquid mess behind. Ackkk!!!

Love to hear what you find out if you go this route. My own yurt joints are deteriorating rapidly. I'm storing it exposed to the weather this winter (in Cali, so not so bad!), to get a picture of how the original tape does in moisture. Right now, the answer is that it does very poorly. In fact, moisture just destroys the bond in one or two rainfalls.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 pm

MA is spot on!

Build a small model from scrap cardboard or some such, set it out in the sun, see how it ages.

Good call on the testing MA!

rmax

Post by rmax » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks MA. I will definitely do some testing before I risk my Burn on a hexayurt
experiment. I appreciate the details on how to go about it.

I know this tape is used a lot on RVs so it's meant to be somewhat flexible and exposed - but BRC is definitely an extreme environment so not going to assume.

I was thinking I'd use it to replace all the permanent connections and then try a Velcro alternative on the ones that come apart a la the vinyl/rubber cement/Velcro method I've seen on Playa.

The sealant comes in 4" and 5" widths which should do the trick.

Nick Z
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Nick Z » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 am

Hi rmax

Do you have any results on the roofing tape experiment?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:37 am

Popeye wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 am
Never used it but they push the great "elongation factor" which mean it stretches. Fiberglass tape is used on hexayurts because it doesn't stretch.
omg
I hadn't seen this thread.
That EternaBond tape is a sealing tape, not a structural tape. It's a nice bulky 20mils of
100% solids formulation of synthetic resins, thermoplastics and non-curing rubber (non butyl) with a built-in primer. It is bonded to a low density polyethylene (LDPE) backing.
It lists its adhesion as 135 oz. /in width, which is really good. It does not list a tensile strength, so that is going to be effectively limited to that of the LDPE backing. This is not a good sign, as the tape joining panels of a hexayurt is providing structural strength by holding the panels together in the wind.

The bi-filament tape has an adhesion of 91 oz. /in width, with a tensile strength of 220 lbs. /in width.
3" wide that's a tensile strength of 660 lbs and adhesion of 17 lbs per inch of contact.
4" wide that's 880 lbs and 22 lbs.
6" wide that's 1320 lbs and 34 lbs.

For more info on bi-filament tape and hexayurt wind loads, take a look at
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=65276
before you check the specifications of a tape you're considering substituting with.
Unless you're counting on a walk-in-the-park year, I wouldn't go near a tape that didn't have similar or better tensile and adhesion strengths. Or you can join the many who've substituted with a less strong tape or one that couldn't perform in the temperature ranges, and ended up providing entertainment for those watching their hexahurt blow apart and take off across BRC. Happy MOOPing. And collecting personal items.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”