Coming from UK need tent suggestions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
NathanPalmerCo
Burning Since: 2021

Coming from UK need tent suggestions

Post by NathanPalmerCo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm

I am a burner virgin and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for solo burner tents who are flying in from the UK? It can't be too heavy and has to fit in a large travel backpack. Or if anyone has advice on bringing a bigger tent such as the sibley 300 standard which is what I have my eyes on, https://www.canvascamp.com/en/sibley-300-standard. Also should I buy some sort of reflective 'net' to throw on top? If yes where can I purchase in the UK? And also any other tips on keeping dust down as much as possible. TY!

berzins
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Re: Coming from UK need tent suggestions

Post by berzins » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Canvas tents are the best choice. Last year I camped with a Kodiak, and it was AMAZING. Yes, You NEED a shade structure like a carport.

Sorry for not being able to give tips on local vendors - I am from Brazil.
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

NathanPalmerCo

Post by NathanPalmerCo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:58 pm

It's just space in my bag for something like a carport, so I was thinking a relfective netting usd for greenhouses. I have looked at kodiak but they don't sell them here :( but I will try to look further like on ebay and such.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:41 pm

My understanding is that there is a large price difference between tents in the UK and US with US being a lot cheaper. Buying over here eliminates the excess baggage charges.
I think the most important thing to look for in a tent is the amount of mesh. Most readily available dome type tents have a lot of mesh which will let your tent fill with dust. Many buy these and glue or sew covers over the mesh. More expensive 4 season or winter mountain tents don't have any mesh.
Don't try to live a week at BM in a 1 or 2 man tent.
You can order a tent and have it delivered to a UPS store near where will be in the US.

Let us know a little more about yourself, What part fo the UK are you from? What brings you to BM? Where will you be while here?
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:12 pm

I've told this story before, but I will repeat for you.

My first year 16 years ago was going to be my only year attending. I bought a very cheap tent for $40. If it lasted the week I would have been very happy. It packed easily in my suitcase. It held up perfect with heavier stakes to hold it down. I used that cheap tent for 10 years until I started using a trailer. I still have that first tent and loan it out to anyone who needs it. I put a few small patches on it, but it still works well.

You don't really have to have a top of the line tent if space and weight are a concern. Pack wisely. As far as shade, I never brought any, but rather put my tent next to a large vehicle that provided me shade in the mornings. That was just me. I'm NOT telling you not to pack shade, but I didn't have the room, so I made things work.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Your first year is about survival. That is your packing list.

I lived in a backpacking tent on a Thermarest in a sleeping bag with all my thermal layers on for several years. I brought all my food, water, outfits, and survivor stuff and stored it in the corner of my tiny tent less than 4 feet x 8 feet.

Tent is to sleep, focus on all the other experiences.

But you are flying in which is a high budget approach in the top percent. You can consider the various aluminized sun-reflecting festival tents available. They may be be able to be delivered to and then you can ship them out from a Reno or SF hotel or USA package service. Reflective festival tents should be easy to look up.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:20 pm

One year I used a variety of umbrellas. No big deal. There's always a shady place to catch a nap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

NathanPalmerCo

Re: Coming from UK need tent suggestions/who am I

Post by NathanPalmerCo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:22 am

I am not 100% sure how to use this site so i think this is how I reply to people anyway, this is to popeye. I am from Wales which is the western part of the UK, very cold and wet here :D. I have been interested in BM for a while what attracts me is the sense of community and the art pieces and the different culture. Where will I be when I am there? Not too sure yet I am going solo so I'll try to find some nice neighbours to set up next to. With buying over there it's getting it back here is the problem then I'd rather keep it than get rid of it I don't have the money to keep buying tents, so I will find a lightweight 4 man tent and diy up the mesh :)

NathanPalmerCo

Post by NathanPalmerCo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 am

I am not flying into black rock city I am flying to Reno then bus in just to clarify. Umbrellas could work it's just getting it there and back still I don't want to wait around for things to sell or go because I can't take them before I go back home.

NathanPalmerCo

Post by NathanPalmerCo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 am

Popeye wrote:My understanding is that there is a large price difference between tents in the UK and US with US being a lot cheaper. Buying over here eliminates the excess baggage charges.
I think the most important thing to look for in a tent is the amount of mesh. Most readily available dome type tents have a lot of mesh which will let your tent fill with dust. Many buy these and glue or sew covers over the mesh. More expensive 4 season or winter mountain tents don't have any mesh.
Don't try to live a week at BM in a 1 or 2 man tent.
You can order a tent and have it delivered to a UPS store near where will be in the US.

Let us know a little more about yourself, What part fo the UK are you from? What brings you to BM? Where will you be while here?
I am not 100% sure how to use this site so i think this is how I reply to people anyway, this is to popeye. I am from Wales which is the western part of the UK, very cold and wet here :D. I have been interested in BM for a while what attracts me is the sense of community and the art pieces and the different culture. Where will I be when I am there? Not too sure yet I am going solo so I'll try to find some nice neighbours to set up next to. With buying over there it's getting it back here is the problem then I'd rather keep it than get rid of it I don't have the money to keep buying tents, so I will find a lightweight 4 man tent and diy up the mesh :)

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm

NathanPalmerCo wrote:I am not 100% sure how to use this site so i think this is how I reply to people anyway, this is to popeye. I am from Wales which is the western part of the UK, very cold and wet here :D. I have been interested in BM for a while what attracts me is the sense of community and the art pieces and the different culture. Where will I be when I am there? Not too sure yet I am going solo so I'll try to find some nice neighbours to set up next to. With buying over there it's getting it back here is the problem then I'd rather keep it than get rid of it I don't have the money to keep buying tents, so I will find a lightweight 4 man tent and diy up the mesh :)
You might consider joining your local burner group in the UK. You'll make some good connections and possibly find people you could camp with (who will understand your accent). 8)
https://regionals.burningman.org/

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Sham ^ has links in his signature that you should read, 2 or 3 times. Eplaya has a wealth of searchable information. Since people on her get tired of answering the same question over and over some of the more recent answers may be a little short. I suggest you start at the beginning of the thread and read through it. Don't be afraid to check back and ask about what is unclear.

Now that we know that you are coming through Reno on the bus I can make some suggestions.
I arrive a few day early to pick up suplies and start to get used to the heat. Google Barbie Death Camp Reno Hotel deal. (Thanks again Doc)
You can buy water to pick up on Playa if you take the bus. Be careful what collapsable water jugs you buy.
Hoverlandia is the "official" camp for the bus. You don't have to stay there.
You will want a bike. You can rent one from various places, take one as a perk for donations, or buy one and take it on the bus. Check out http://www.elliotsbikes.org/bicycle-services.html Walmart probably has the cheapest bikes, both quality and cost. If you get one at WalMart grease it yourself and check the tire pressure. I've seen it over 100 pounds. Buy an extra tube.
Certain Burner Express stops at Keystone for food for an hour or so. There will be 10,000 burners there with you, I like to pick up what I can early and locate everything else.This is walking distance to the Sands and there are two thrift shops within walking distance also. For plates, cooking pots, sheets, etc.
There is a UPS store and a liquor store at Keystone.
Think about how you are getting to the airport to catch your bus. Reno cabs are tiny and you will have stuff.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Canvas tents may be nice, but I've never worked with anything but nylon tents. I have had great luck with tents from Sportsman's Guide, but I used cheap offbrand domes for my 4 burns.

Whatever you decide, get a tent whose mesh zips entirely shut in all places including the top (if it has a mesh top, dust will whoosh in at the first opportunity). If there's a little bit of mesh but not too much, buy a few cheap fleece blankets from the home section of a big box store, and a dozen spring clamps at a hardware store, and clamp the fleece to the mesh.

Get 10 inch stakes, and a short sledge hammer. (The tiny 5-6" stakes that come with cheap tents are not up to the task.)

As already mentioned, aim for at least a 3 or 4 person tent. A 1 or 2 person tent can feel like a coffin!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 am

Get the lightest, smallest tent you can find. Choose one that has windows and mesh that can zip up and fully close. Google is your friend.

You will spend 2 or 4 hours a day in there passed out and then the heat will chase you out.

You will nap in random places in someone’s shade when exhausted enough.

Don’t try to lug a big heavy canvas tent on a bus. You will be miserable doing it, then disappointed for never using it for more that an hour or few.

Think survival your first year, not luxury. Canvas tent is luxury.

A good lawn chair for napping is way more important.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I have a meshless "60 second" tent, pops up much like an umbrella, and zips shut. Not huge, but we only use it for sleeping. Under shade, it is fine, although we do use a bucket cooler with it. Had it for years now, and used a two person REI before that. We clip the comforter to the top to stabilize the interior temperature and to cut down on ambient light coming in through the nylon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

berzins
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by berzins » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Dear AntiM,

Tell me more about this Blanket cooler. DO you dump water on it? Or it is just the comforter?

Best,
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

Token

Post by Token » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm

berzins wrote:Dear AntiM,

Tell me more about this Blanket cooler. DO you dump water on it? Or it is just the comforter?

Best,
Bucket Cooler. A home made version of a swamp cooler.

Thousands of posts on the subject here:

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 pm

I am looking to go solo to bm this year from the Netherlands
And with the restrictions of luggage on the plane I was planning to order this tent https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... t/54593872 to pick up wenn I am there

So I will have one bag and a backpack flying to America and then 1 post package and the same luggage on the way back
:), Show them a big gritty grin and tell them of your travels

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Lloyd wrote:I am looking to go solo to bm this year from the Netherlands
And with the restrictions of luggage on the plane I was planning to order this tent https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... t/54593872 to pick up wenn I am there

So I will have one bag and a backpack flying to America and then 1 post package and the same luggage on the way back
Your consistent year after year problem is wind. I can't believe a $50.00 teepee tent from Wally World, using only two poles :roll: could do anything but blow away.

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:22 am

the post was more about the logistics then the tent, but i think you are correct that it wont hold.
:), Show them a big gritty grin and tell them of your travels

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”