Sizing a Monkeyhut.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Sizing a Monkeyhut.

Post by BaudEByter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:29 pm

I would like to know what size Monkeyhuts others use. I plan on putting in a Shiftpod and some chairs a table, not too much. That Aluminet is expensive though. I was originally going to do 14x30hut but the alum is $390. Is that too big?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Sizing a Monkeyhut.

Post by Token » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Your Quonset should be big enough to fit the tent and the rest of the stuff to your liking.

Since there are now half dozen sizes for shiftpods, hard to tell.

Nothing wrong with the silver HD tarps for the Quonset and a lot cheaper than Aluminet.

Besides, isn’t the tent silvered bubble wrap to begin with?

A bucket swamp cooler may be a good way.

claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by claybcook » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:10 am

It may be hard to get a 14ft width using 2 10ft PVC pipes as ribs. I did the standard Monkey Hut last year and it was great, but if you want headroom and if you only use 2 10ft sections of PVC meeting at the "spine", I think you'll only get about a 12ft width. You could splice longer ribs for more headroom and/or more width, but then you're transporting longer and longer ribs to the playa. Diminishing returns. My Coleman tent is about 10 X 9 feet and it did well at the rear of a 12 X 20 MH. Generally, people space the ribs about 5 ft apart, just because they can cut a 10ft length of PVC in half to get it, but what really matters is the ACTUAL size of the tarps you get, so don't cut the "spine" pieces until you have tarps. Also, there is the awkward matter of closing off the ends of the MH. I ended up adding an additional "rib" projecting out alone the axis of the "spine" which added a triangular area behind my tent. I put up mesh tarp material and had a nice breeze. The shape of these triangles took some experimentation, but they worked great!
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Strata » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 pm

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1W0C ... mNsDBkaAA/

The above link is a diagram of the monkey hut I built last year in 2017 to enclose a shift pod and have a patio kitchen area with chairs and shade. I used an enclosing sleeve to add height to the rib arches so that the inner height was tall enough for the shift pod. The hut is set up on a 15 by 30 tarp from Home Depot, which nicely squares off the sides so I don't have to fiddle around with a t Square.

I did use aluminet for the covering, and paid about what the original poster estimated. I used bungee cords to hold the spine connectors together and ended up with a structure that survived the nasty dust squall of Tuesday afternoon at the burn. I neglected to use the tie downs I had brought, for reasons which seemed sensible at the time. I was lucky that the aluminet doesn't catch much wind! This year I am adding a less wide strip of aluminet down the middle for extra shade. I certainly will use the tie downs!

Here is a pic of the hut at the 2017 event.

Cheers,
Strata
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 am

I have a long thread on here agonizing over this topic (fitting monkey hut over a 10X14 kodiak in my case.)

After some back and forth and wisdom from the hive, I made my own 15' X 24' design with Aluminet. Loved it. Worked great at 2017 burn and survived that windstorm that launched a full size trampoline into the air near my camp.

You can use whatever shadecloth you want, but the Aluminet breathes nicely and provides a great shade. Can layer shadecloth as well to maintain airflow but add shelter.

PDF plans are here. I put a "*" in front of the link so that it doesn't open up in this thread. Just cut and paste and remove the *. Enjoy!

:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

cryoguy
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: BRC Realty (tour of homes)

Post by cryoguy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am

Wow Strata and Silvergirl – You guys got this down to a science! Great write ups, just missing the finite element analysis!

My MH survived the few brief wind storms last year, I dodged a bullet because I did not anchor the ends down with rope and lag screws. Wont make that mistake this year.

Now I just got to get my fancy shower design complete, my wife insist on it.
Thanks

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”