Monkey Hut vs Carport vs Other Shade Over Van??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
karsenmoon01
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Zazen

Monkey Hut vs Carport vs Other Shade Over Van??

Post by karsenmoon01 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 pm

I am changing up my dwelling for the burn this year and am trying to sleep in my van (20'x8'x8'). I have camped in the van in the past and it turns into an oven pretty quickly in the morning so I am looking into shade for it. Has anyone built a larger monkey hut as to pull a van underneath or would a carport be a better idea? Looking for suggestions.
)'( Man burns in 95 days! )'(

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Re: Monkey Hut vs Carport vs Other Shade Over Van??

Post by Grumpy Otter » Tue May 29, 2018 11:16 pm

A much less expensive but effective approach is using a large tarp over the van and anchor (stake) the sides out from the van. If there is not a rack on the van to raise the tarp for some air flow, use pool noodles placed across the roof. The air space stops the direct transfer of heat to the roof of the van. This is much simpler and less bulk than a monkey hut or carport. A few conduits can be used to raise one side for an awning/porch.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:29 am

Have you thought about the steel EMT structures? They are easy and can be customized to your vehicle size. My campmates park their cargo van under a EMT shade structure at an angle, so the van door opens into a nice shaded "patio" with a sidewall for dust and wind protection, pretty sweet setup. Check the other forums here or PM me if you's like plans.

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Wed May 30, 2018 9:39 pm

EMT flat tops work well. Attached to the rack with an air space, and side wall on the driver side. Silver tarp out, black side down, stretched with bungee balls. Parts from the yuma store. I park the slider door to the lee side. I am a big fan of flat tops, they are playa tested. Luigi @ VW Bus Camp
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Thu May 31, 2018 12:45 am

Nothing new on Eplaya!
Check out these links and then use the search function for more:
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=64255&p=940457&hi ... de#p944697
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=68135&p=992110&hi ... de#p992110

It's been a while since I read them but I think the consensus was to leave at least 6 inches between the roof and the shade and allow venting at each end.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”