BRCStorage

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
skibit
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: FUR

BRCStorage

Post by skibit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Anyone been able to pay for thier container or get in contact with BRCStorage@burningman.org? They have not returned any of my emails.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: BRCStorage

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:05 am

I'm moving this over to building camps & villages, since that's a better fit for questions about building camps & villages (the year-specific board is intended more for year-specific camp announcements).

I believe the email from BRC Storage with the link for existing customers to do their annual renewal went out in mid-May. Checking the link contained in that mail, the page and account logins appear to be working properly.

skibit

Post by skibit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am

Well I would like to pay for and receive my container this year

skibit

Post by skibit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:32 pm

If you would like to know how to pay for your Burningman container this year.

How to pay for your existing container
1. Log in to your account https://storage.burningman.org. You will see your dashboard:

2. Click on the Annual Fees link on the left or the upcoming year link at the bottom. It will take
you to the screen listing your previous paid order(s).

3. Click on the (latest) order number or View button in the corresponding row. It would show
the order with the link to your container under Product:

4. Click on the link to your container to go to the payment screen:

5. Choose the payment option, click on Pay now , and pay for your container.

The email from BRCStorage@burningman.org is far from accurate:

To make a payment on the website, use the same login you had last year. When you login to your account at https://storage.burningman.org/my-account/, please follow the below steps in the order they appear:

1. Make sure your address and other information is up to date.

2. Click on my subscriptions,

3. Click on the “re-subscribe” button; this will take you to the check out screen

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 pm

I don't know what to tell you, a radical self reliance failure on your part? My user account on that system is the same as anybody else's and I followed those instructions just now and it worked exactly as expected (we hadn't yet paid our renewal). Bring up the latest order, then click on the link for the container to go to the payment screen, then fill it out. The process worked just fine for me, just a few minutes ago.

If you're unable to do that on your end, you could try going through it with a partner or trusted campmate to see if they spot what you're missing, otherwise write to the BRC Storage email address (if you haven't already) and have some patience. For an email about an existing container, make sure the container # is in the subject line. It's a busy time of year for a lot of people at Black Rock Station, and it may take a while to get a response.

skibit

Post by skibit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 pm

"A radical self reliance failure on your part."

That quite the response from you as I provided the correct way to navigate in the first section. The second section is the direction in their email that don't work.

NeonBunny

Post by NeonBunny » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Spoken like a former product designer for Microsoft.

User experience and customer service may not be your fortee, but typically when a customer of a product you work with shares the frustration of how poor the experience is, and how much trouble they have with the very complex system that exists, the correct response it’s to sound like a self-entitled power tripping asshole.

Instead of “no, you are to dumb to understand that you have to do xyz while also doing abc three times while you hum the tune of rst”, perhaps you could try “sorry you had such a difficult time with it, I will help you through the process and share your feedback with our team responsible for the product so they can make it better in the future for all users”.

Be thanksful a customer has shared an experience with you. You can guarantee when one customer experiences something, they are NEVER alone.

Pernaps your in a position where you donnt have to be nice. No manager, can do whatever you want, no accountability because nothing anyone could do would ever get you removed from this position, and anyone who ever questions you, you can crush with the full weight of your ego. Good for you, you have radically self evolved into an entitled asshole on a power trip.

But remember, you don’t have to be. You can practice Radical Inclusion while you Gift your Civic Responsibility to contribute to a Communal Effort by Participating in the thing your employer gives you a check for.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:08 am

NeonBunny,

You must be under some kind of illusion that the mods here on this forum, or anyone here for that matter, are customer service representatives for BRCStorage or Burning Man itself. I assure you, we are not.

Also, "radical inclusion" doesn't mean having to hand-hold a "customer" through the process of using a website just because some form email wasn't synced up with the website. That's the kind of thing C-grade undergraduate students expect from their teachers when a test is coming up. Adapt. The site isn't broken, and the process is conceptually the same. Hell, skibit figured it out anyway.

To be fair, Trilobyte probably misinterpreted skibit's third post as skibit not being able to follow the directions, rather than skibit posting a revised list of instructions to correct the email's. Maybe that correction can be sent to the actual BRCStorage people, not posted in this forum.

But still, don't come to this event or forum expecting to be treated as a "customer."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:41 am

I'm sorry if you took the comment offensively, it certainly wasn't meant that way. I didn't use your post, as I had already received the message directly from BRC Storage (the one I'd told you came last month). It had been parked and flagged in May, since our camp wasn't planning on actioning the item until sometime in June. Credit where it's due, though, seeing your second post did make me ask "should we pay it now or wait until after next payday" to my partner. She said now was okay, so I went back to the site, logged in, and was easily able to bring it up and make the payment, and then report back that the system was currently working. Without seeing your post claiming that the system was broken (which it isn't), we probably would have just waited until next payday.

Good luck, I hope you & your campmates are able to get it sorted out (once you bring up the past order, click on the container link on that and it should be self explanatory from there). I'm sorry, skibit, in skimming your message on Tuesday I hadn't realized that you'd figured it out and were posting that there was still an issue as well as inaccuracy in the email's instructions (a radical self reliance fail on my part).

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

Neonbunny, Bbadger's reply was spot on. This isn't a BRC Storage support site, and neither I nor any other member of the mod team (or userbase, as far as I'm aware) are BRC Storage staffers. Unless there's something you're not telling us, neither of us are BRC Storage staffers (I'm just the one that didn't go the route of insults and profanity).

Actually yeah, Bbadger's post was totally spot on, as I did read the other post as saying it wasn't working, and only just caught that now. I'm sorry, skibit, in skimming your message on Tuesday I hadn't realized that you'd figured it out and were posting that there was still an issue as well as inaccuracy in the email's instructions (a radical self reliance fail on my part).

After nudging skibit's thread into the right forum, it struck me that as a person whose camp had a container and we hadn't yet paid our renewal fee, I was in the unique position to log in, check things out, and report back, so I took the time to do so since I had a few minutes. The followup was a similar case. I'd seen the response and misread it as still not being able to make it work, and after a quick check with my partner decided to go through the full renewal process and confirm that it was working, which is what I did.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”