How much shade do two Costco carports offer?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Cat Butt
Burning Since: 2001

How much shade do two Costco carports offer?

Post by Cat Butt » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 pm

We have two Costco carports this year and I’m curious about how many people that can comfortably shade during the day. We plan to put them side by side and remove the connecting wall so there’s a larger open common space.

Our camp’s likely to have 17 people. We won’t have any tents under there, as all camp members will be sleeping in cars. So it’s really just chairs, bodies and coolers that we need to shade. Ideally a kitchen table as well, but we can’t be too picky about that.

What do y’all think? 17 will still feel kinda roomy and comfortable? Or will it be too tight?

I’ve been 9 years, but this is the first year using the carport so just looking for advice on numbers of people we can reasonably expect to shade.

Thanks!

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: How much shade do two Costco carports offer?

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Cat Butt wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 pm
We have two Costco carports this year and I’m curious about how many people that can comfortably shade during the day. We plan to put them side by side and remove the connecting wall so there’s a larger open common space.

Our camp’s likely to have 17 people. We won’t have any tents under there, as all camp members will be sleeping in cars. So it’s really just chairs, bodies and coolers that we need to shade. Ideally a kitchen table as well, but we can’t be too picky about that.

What do y’all think? 17 will still feel kinda roomy and comfortable? Or will it be too tight?

I’ve been 9 years, but this is the first year using the carport so just looking for advice on numbers of people we can reasonably expect to shade.

Thanks!
I doubt that you'll EVER have all 17 in there at the same time....burners be burners.

Do also feel you need the outside walls? All three of them? It won't be comfortable in the day. (I assume you will leave the front open.

Since everyone is already "comfortable" in their cars, forget about the carports being protection from white outs.....why not open at least one side and have an angled shade cloth, say a 20' x 10' or 20' x 12', which will give lots more space, be MUCH cooler, and so what if it gets dusty...clean up takes 10 minutes.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm

400 sq. ft. of shade divided by 16 people would equal 25 sq. ft. per person. depending upon the seating arrangement (chairs, benches) you should have enough shade.
Best Regards,
Leo

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Don't forget the crap on the floor....tables, coolers, guitars, beanbag chairs, tools, bike parts, trash can, water jugs....you know it's all gonna be sucking space. :D

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 pm

You all will fill whatever space is available, but I'd think 2 carports would be a fine home base for 17 of you.

Cat Butt

Post by Cat Butt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:04 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Do also feel you need the outside walls? All three of them? It won't be comfortable in the day. (I assume you will leave the front open.

Since everyone is already "comfortable" in their cars, forget about the carports being protection from white outs.....why not open at least one side and have an angled shade cloth, say a 20' x 10' or 20' x 12', which will give lots more space, be MUCH cooler, and so what if it gets dusty...clean up takes 10 minutes.
Yeah, so we were talking about trying to have the outer walls up to help keep things cool, but then drop them in a dust storm. In your experience, does this seem feasible? As I said, we're not overly familiar with how these things set up, so not sure if the sides can easily be rolled up and then dropped when we want to or not?

I love the idea of an angled shade cloth too. Would it be possible to have both an angled shade cloth and the sides rolled up at the same time, to accomplish maximum shade combined with maximum flexibility? If the answer to that is no, then pretty sure we'd just ditch the sides and go with angled shade cloth on both sides.

Thanks for the help.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Here's my carport experience. If you face the man then the wind will be at your back. (If you are anywhere near 6:00 street.) We put on one side panel for the prevailing wind. You are either going to have morning or evening sun coming in somewhere. Leave all the sides rolled up and use as necessary. Our ice chests fit under tables that have table clothes to shade them. They are also raised up off the hot ground. Everything in the carport must double as seating. Heavy foot locker type tubs. Small and large chairs. Cozy seating is more fun anyway. Bring a couple of ground pillows. That solves the seating every time.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Cat Butt

Post by Cat Butt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 pm

Solid. Thanks all for the advice. From Ratty's comment, sounds like the sides are fairly easy to roll up and drop down again as needed.

I forgot to mention that we'll also have a small geodesic dome we use for 3 hammocks and that should certainly allow for a bit more breathing room.

Thanks again,

- Cat Butt

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 am

One additional tip - the roof and walls of a Costco carport are not entirely opaque to the sun. This means you can improve the quality of the shade significantly by adding an opaque layer directly under the roof.

I've seen it done with a cheap gray tarp, attic foil, and even reflectix (though I don't think the bubble layer on the last does anything the first two don't). Since it won't be subject to much wind stress, it doesn't need to be particularly strong - just opaque.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm

love the Costco carports. used them side by side and end to end, either way remember you can double up on the number of burners if you stack them.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:23 pm

The answer is they offer 400 square feet of shade.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:50 am

Papa Bear wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 am
One additional tip - the roof and walls of a Costco carport are not entirely opaque to the sun. This means you can improve the quality of the shade significantly by adding an opaque layer directly under the roof.

I've seen it done with a cheap gray tarp, attic foil, and even reflectix (though I don't think the bubble layer on the last does anything the first two don't). Since it won't be subject to much wind stress, it doesn't need to be particularly strong - just opaque.
We used old bedsheets sewn together, it takes 3 single sheets to go end to end in a carport. You can see it in the picture. The fabric along the back wall is just a random swath of 70s curtain fabric. We tilt our carports, so have a flat top, not a peak. A peaked set up might need double or queen sheets.
DSCF8328 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”