Suggestions for Tent?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
JMS
Burning Since: 2018

Suggestions for Tent?

Post by JMS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi,

Ive read a lot about which tent to buy / use for BM but most of them are so expensive...Its going to be my first burn and Im coming from India, so after the burn, wont have place to store within US and I dont plan to carry it back to India, even if I do get it from India to US for burning man... so it's going to be a one time use tent only...would there be options of renting them?

two of the options im considering are
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8330635_fami ... #/180-235-_

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8384152_air- ... ml#/3-254-_

and another one is
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8322425_arpe ... #/180-235-_

Ive read about Hexayurts and Shiftpods and Kodiak but theyre a little expensive...and i dont want to spend that much...
I wouldnt mind if someone wants to hire an RV and split costs... get in touch...

any type of suggestions would be very appreciated..thanks

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Suggestions for Tent?

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Moderator note, moved to Building Camps as that is a better fit.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:48 pm

You can get away with a run-the-mill $100 tent as long as you stake it down properly. There are tents with metal poles that will hold up okay; I used one for a couple years. Sure, everything inside will be covered in dust when you come home to sleep, but at least it is still there inside the tent. You can always cover your pillow and sleeping arrangement with bags or something. I did that for a time.

Oh, and nobody wants to rent a tent to a person going to Burning Man. The dust never comes off and they get damaged and all kinds of stuff. Burning Man ruins equipment. If you have to borrow one, see if a camp mate can let you use a regular camping tent they don't care too much about.

Also renting an RV is going to cost more than a crappy tent. You may even bring the tent to get away from all the other people inside the RV too.

What I consider more important than a tent is the shade for your tent. It's incredibly hot anytime from about 7AM to sunset and it sucks if you want to stay up for any length of time, or even do something like change or prepare your food.

You need to dial your shade in, because even an expensive Shift Pod or Hex Yurt can suck without shade or active cooling like a bucket cooler. You'll be happier on a cot, covered in playa after a morning's rest, than in an Easy Bake Oven $800 tent in the sun.

How you're going to build shade coming from India... that's a whole other problem for you.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:39 pm

While it's really nice to have your own shade, it's not really a must-have. There are lots of places in the city where you can go hang out in someone else's shade for a few hours. If you search around the archives here for a bit, you'll also find quite a few examples of simple shade - you really just need a tarp and something to hold it up, which can be as simple (and cheap) as 2x4 lumber from Home Depot or Lowes.

As for tents - it's hard to be sure, but it looks like the three you mention may have mesh panel, which will be a problem in terms of allowing in far too much dust. You'd have to find a way to seal those up if they're there.

Another example that gets some good ratings on Amazon and at least appears cheaper than those three when the exchange rate is taken into account is the Coleman Instant Cabin. Haven't tried it myself, but you can search the comments/Q&A for "burning man" and find reviews from people who have.

JMS

Post by JMS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks...thats really helpful... Im thinking ill buy a tent when i get to Reno / SF..hoping a good one wouldnt sell out...not a very expensive one as I cant store it anywhere and cant carry it back to India with me either...would it be possible to sell it after? and Walmart or REI would have enough tents and options im guessing...If i get a larger one (which says that it sleeps 4/8 people) just for myself, would it be rude to set it up in a camp which might already have limited space or do the camps have enough space?
Do you recommend being part of a big camp in a village or a smaller camp? Does it leave enough time to wander about and explore? And im not sure how Im going to get all my stuff to my camp / tent... from Reno and then from the gate entrance...Thanks

JMS

Post by JMS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Also, a good option for a shade if im setting up my tent...
Ill join a camp..and most of the camps ive noticed mention that they provide shade where we can setup our camp..is that common?

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:36 pm

There's a lot of options.
If you're joining a camp at the last minute, there may or may not be room for tents under their shade, if they have shade for such. Each camp will/should let you know what's o.k. or not. Ask (you don't want to be asked to leave).

Some people setup their tent in the shade of someone's RV, if it's positioned such that you won't be in their camp. Again, ask.
The year I came in an RV, I didn't have anyone camping in its shade, but neighbours from nearby tents in the sun would bring their chairs, blankets or pillows over to the RV's shade as it moved throughout the day. I never hung out in the RV, as I was either out exploring or camp neighbours would be calling me over to join them on their rugs or couches under their shade structures.

What you think you will do at Burning Man can impact if you need shade by your tent or shade for your tent. If you expect to party through the night and plan to sleep past 8:00am or 9:00am, you will need to shade your tent from morning sun or you'll be fleeing your tent to get away from the heat (unless it's cold - temperatures vary viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87409#p1159994).
If you're going to be sleeping at night and getting up with the morning light, then shade isn't important for sleep.
If you intend to hang around your camp, then you'll be better off with some shade.
Some people shade their tent and hang out in it if they rest during the day. Others if up by 8 or 9, have their shade setup beside their tent. I'd expect you'll be out exploring; take your own water and there are many camps that offer Burners various forms of respite from the heat/sun in their camps.
So, are you a night person or a day person...

An old-school tip for some heat relief during the day, is a hand spray bottle filled with potable water. Mist it into the air inside your tent. With the dry playa air, it will evaporate from the mist and cool the air. Once the air is saturated, or more heat has come into the tent, open door/vent and let the now hot and humid air out, replaced with hot dry playa air, then close up and mist again to cool it. Taking one around with out and misting yourself (or others), or misting the air and quickly walking through it, can be rather wonderful. If you use up more water than you brought with you, you can buy ice (and put a few cubes in the bottle!).

The simplest shade is a tarp as a lean-to, one side staked to the ground or low to the ground on guy lines, two poles, one at each of the other corners, each with two guy lines. If shading your tent, the size of tent determines size of tarp and poles, and if you're only shading against the morning light for a few more hours of sleep or hoping to keep the tent shaded until past noon, or later... Google eplaya for various smaller easier transported shade structures.
Many bring shade, many don't.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Do read the entire Survival Guide.

If you check the various resources in Reno, you'll realize you can get everything you need pretty much between the Airport and the Keystone Savemart Rideshare location. This keeps your shopping travel time & costs down.

Getting from Reno to BRC, then to your camp.

Google eplaya on Rideshare locations in Reno and how it works. When you talk with a potential Rideshare, they may be willing to drive to a resource in Reno with you (they may need something from there or nearby too). Also, check where in BRC they will be heading to. If it's near one of the spots in BRC you thought might be interesting to camp at (various areas have various reputations, but rumour says this year they're mixing the usual placed camp locations, so who knows), then tag along and head out to find an open camping spot from there; outskirts are where the unplaced spots are. There's always walk-in camping on the south side.
Some years wheeled suitcases work; some years the dust is deep and they don't. Backpacks. A cheap hand-cart.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

JMS

Post by JMS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Canoe wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm
Do read the entire Survival Guide.

If you check the various resources in Reno, you'll realize you can get everything you need pretty much between the Airport and the Keystone Savemart Rideshare location. This keeps your shopping travel time & costs down.

Getting from Reno to BRC, then to your camp.

Google eplaya on Rideshare locations in Reno and how it works. When you talk with a potential Rideshare, they may be willing to drive to a resource in Reno with you (they may need something from there or nearby too). Also, check where in BRC they will be heading to. If it's near one of the spots in BRC you thought might be interesting to camp at (various areas have various reputations, but rumour says this year they're mixing the usual placed camp locations, so who knows), then tag along and head out to find an open camping spot from there; outskirts are where the unplaced spots are. There's always walk-in camping on the south side.
Some years wheeled suitcases work; some years the dust is deep and they don't. Backpacks. A cheap hand-cart.
Thanks..thats really helpful...and thanks for the pro tip on cooling off inside the tent...ive copied it in a different sheet and will definitel use it...so much to learn for me... im excited...
definitely going to get a tent or something and pray for shade in a camp...it should fall through... Im also concerned about how much stuff i can carry on my own...like a bike...a backpack..a tent...water (lots of it)...food..drinks..maybe costumes...gifts to give away...and boxes for organizing my stuff...lights..so much... how do people manage all of that without a car coming in from out of the country?
Also.... how do I get to know if a camp is big or small? what are the general sizes with number of people in a big camp in comparison to a smaller or medium sized camp?
Thanks

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:28 pm

JMS wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm
Im also concerned about how much stuff i can carry on my own...like a bike...a backpack..a tent...water (lots of it)...food..drinks..maybe costumes...gifts to give away...and boxes for organizing my stuff...lights..so much... how do people manage all of that without a car coming in from out of the country?
You can arrange to rent a bike, if you do so in advance. Kiwanis in Reno rents them, and I think there are a couple of camps on playa from which you can rent a bike and pick it up on playa. I believe Elliott has loaner bikes he offers to those who've made a donation, too. The sooner the better for all of them, though.

In some cases that will cost as much as buying a new bike, but if you were going to have to find a new home for it afterward anyway, it's probably a better use of that money. And at least in the case of Elliott's, I'd expect it to be better maintained than a bike straight off the store shelf, which matters.
JMS wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm
Also.... how do I get to know if a camp is big or small? what are the general sizes with number of people in a big camp in comparison to a smaller or medium sized camp?
You ask them! Camps come in all sizes, from one or two people to one or two hundred, and everyone has their own idea of what "big" is. It's ok to contact a camp for which you think you might be a good fit and ask them more about themselves (as well as whether they're even accepting new campmates).

Nobody should get offended if, after asking some questions, you realize the camp isn't a good fit for you - and anyone who would isn't someone you'd want to be spending the week with anyway.

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Oh, also - don't stress about bringing items to gift. Gifts do not need to be tangible - one good way to gift is to just walk down the street, look for someone who could use a hand with whatever they are doing, and offer yours. It's also a good way to meet people and make new friends.

Likewise, costumes are completely optional - if a t-shirt and shorts is what you can pack, that's just fine. For that matter, I've found sarongs/dhotis work great during the day, and they pack up quite nicely.

If you ride the bus in, you will also have the option of pre-purchasing water - you bring your own collapsible container, and fill it up on playa.

There are also multiple threads in the archive about people who have brought everything they need via an airplane/on the burner bus. I'd suggest you go look them up to see what's worked for them.

JMS

Post by JMS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm
Oh, also - don't stress about bringing items to gift. Gifts do not need to be tangible - one good way to gift is to just walk down the street, look for someone who could use a hand with whatever they are doing, and offer yours. It's also a good way to meet people and make new friends.

Likewise, costumes are completely optional - if a t-shirt and shorts is what you can pack, that's just fine. For that matter, I've found sarongs/dhotis work great during the day, and they pack up quite nicely.

If you ride the bus in, you will also have the option of pre-purchasing water - you bring your own collapsible container, and fill it up on playa.

There are also multiple threads in the archive about people who have brought everything they need via an airplane/on the burner bus. I'd suggest you go look them up to see what's worked for them.
Thanks..you and everyone here is just so helpful and dont shy from providing all forms of information. Its really helpful and heartening.. Burning Man really is everything it is said to be... even off the playa... thanks a lot...
Another question... does it really matter where your camp is on the playa? maybe sound issues? Better to be somewhere in the middle region like close to 6 or anywhere is fine...and if closer to the esplanade or further out? and if I would want to cover more of the playa, is placement really important?
Dhotis sound perfect.. although I'd like to be part of a camp and try to share rides with the camp mates too..but im also exploring the burnerexpress options...

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 am

JMS wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:07 pm
Another question... does it really matter where your camp is on the playa? maybe sound issues?
The large scale sound camps are placed at 10 & 2, so those would be places to avoid if you are concerned. Additionally, the amount of foot traffic and overall energy tends to be highest on the Esplanade, and mellows out the further out you go from the center.

Within the rest of the city, there are no guarantees. In theory camps are limited to producing 90 decibels as measured 20 feet from their border (i.e. the middle of the street), but sometimes camps do go above that and refuse to back off even when approached nicely by neighbors. You can take the concern to a ranger, but some rangers are more helpful than others when it comes to sound issues. So to some extent it's the luck of the draw.

In terms of getting to places, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have a lot of interesting stuff in your neighborhood, but you'll also sometimes want to make your way to the opposite side of the event from wherever you are at. Just make sure you bring or rent a bike so that you can get around easily (and if you're not already used to biking, start getting a lot of practice in before you leave home. Your butt will thank you.)

I know you're leaning toward joining a camp if you can, but this subject brings up one other benefit of camping solo - if you decide you don't like the neighborhood you are in, you can always pack up the tent and move somewhere else.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”