Simple shower and evap pond

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
GhettorigMechanic
Burning Since: 2017

Simple shower and evap pond

Post by GhettorigMechanic » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:18 am

Hello all.

This year our camp is building a shower for our 20 some campmates. This is brand spanking new for us, so we would like some veteran advice.

I was going to take a pallet and sand it down and make it nice and cozy for our feet, and throw it in a small "evap" pond. PVC pole up out of the playa to support a curtain around the pallet, hang a solar shower off a hook on the PVC or similar, small rug outside the "evap" pond to step onto when done.

So here's the question I have. None of us have made an evap pond before because we've been told not to. We have a grey water tank, so it's basically just to catch the water from the shower so we can hand pump it into the grey water tank. Should I be using 4x4s to round out the pond? How do you all secure it? Do you double line it? Should I worry about guying down the 4x4s? We will most likely tie the top of the pvc frame to the top of a trailer so it won't catch the wind and take off like a kite, but I am most concerned about a failure in the pond setup. I'm also thinking the pond will need to be not much bigger than the pallet, we want it to accumulate deep so the hand pump and suck it out.

Any advice?

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Simple shower and evap pond

Post by Popeye » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 am

Here is a thread that has been running for 12 years. Lots of good ideas.
viewtopic.php?f=327&t=12911&hilit=evap+pond
Take a look through it and come back with your questions.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:57 am

If you already pump and carry out your grey water, go as simple as possible.

Get a concrete mixing tub, the black plastic gizmo is durable and deep enough, rigid so you can tilt it for pumping and best of all, has limited capacity for “accidents”.

It can also be tucked away.

Nothing more fun than finding your evap pond full of spaghetti-O’s and assorted other body fluids first thing in the morning ...

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Post by Leo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:20 pm

For our shower setup, we have a large concrete mixing tub (black heavy duty polyethylene) and a wood floor grid so you won't be standing in a puddle. A rigid plastic kiddie swimming pool or a galvanized steel tub could work as an alternative to the mixing tub. If you choose to go with PVC pipe for the enclosure, go with a larger diameter to provide some rigidity. 1" or 3/4" diameter EMT would be a good alternative to the PVC pipe.
If you choose to have rigid panels vs. curtains at your enclosure, it would be a good idea to have guy lines from each corner of your enclosure to prevent it from becoming a box kite during the windstorms. Good luck with your project!
Best Regards,
Leo

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:19 pm

I was the grey water responsible person for a village, and I'm happy the solutions have evolved since then.

I'm with Mr Token on the concrete mixing tub. I''ve seen some that are 24x36". You are right, a comfortable underfoot shower platform is essential. I had some cedar 2x2's I screwed together to make my own platform. Those went to the burn pyres outbound. I think they still do that for clean wood. Don't overlook having a nice place to stand to disrobe and rerobe ideally shaded from the wind with a bench and copious hooks. Secure your shower curtain against winds at the bottom because the wind will wrap it around your wet self.

Under that could be another capture basin, because it will get muddy because people are dumb. The ideal behavior would be to step out of your playafied footwear onto the changing platform, then into and out of the shower, back onto the changing platform then stepping back into your shoes sitting on the playa.

I'm a fan of bring your own solar shower. The basic ones hold 2 gallons. I usually use about 3/4 a gallon. That way the showerer is responsible for their water usage, and timing the heating.

The event is a great experiment in invention, have fun!

(I've always wanted to do a project with an IBC tote, Maybe my ghetto soaking tub)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 pm

I never bothered with privacy for showers. Any kind of curtain, screen etc was just another wet slimy dusty thing to touch you after you got clean for those magic 10 minutes.

Having multiple platforms so you can step out of the shower on something other than playa is super cool. Good for bringing that up SSE.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”