Pop Up Tents

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Pop Up Tents

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm going alone for the third time and pitching a tent is not easy by yourself. I got help last time but I don't want to always count on other people to help, you know, the whole radical self reliance thing. So I'm wondering, are popup tents sturdy enough for the real strong winds we get if they're anchored well. Also what they say will fit in them is never what really fits in them. I'll have my blow up mattress, two suitcases, an ice chest and a few other small things. The six person size sounds like it will have enough space but will it really? Help please.

Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Re: Pop Up Tents

Post by Leo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Look at the Coleman Instant Cabin 6 or the Coleman Signal Mountain 6 tents. Lightweight and quick setup.
Best Regards,
Leo

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Someone just pointed me to the Coleman Blackout tent. I haven't seen them or even a really good picture but there is supposed to be no mesh except for the vestibule. The 6 man version is about the same size as my old 4 man which is just right for me camping alone.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Post by Grumpy Otter » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:05 pm

I used a 6 man Coleman tent last year. I was very happy with the quick up feature, and you can do it by yourself. I was also happy with the amount of room. Plenty of space for me and the stuff I wanted with me in the tent. I do suggest some kind of shade over it if you can. It will be cooler ( not cool when it is 100 degrees out, but cooler than when the sun is directly on it.)

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Added plus, the colecabins have no ventilation screening at top. But they have odd joints that the wind can inverse. Though these make it quick and easy for one person to assemble. They seem to be the best for price bracket, before going Kodiak. The 6 person has a 6 foot ceiling, while 4 person is way less. The 8 person has an odd rectangle footprint and is more unstable, hard to set up. We anchor ours with lag screws.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:50 am

Lots of people camp in small pop ups and other lightweight tents each year and manage to survive :)

They probably won't be very comfortable during most daylight hours, but they're certainly survivable. The key will be to replace the simple tent spikes that come with your tent with something more substantial - easiest it lag screws, but it sounds like you're planning to travel minimalist... Consider candy cane rebar (you can buy or make it), hammer and vice grips and a decent pair of work gloves.

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”