Connecting Shade Cloth with clips?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
standingstill

Connecting Shade Cloth with clips?

Post by standingstill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 am

Does anyone have any experience with using plastic grommet clips to connect two pieces of shade cloth together? I'm thinking about buying a 12'x100' roll of shade cloth and will need to cut to fit. Sewing 60' of shade cloth would be a huge pain in the ass. But if the clips are strong enough to withstand the wind and not rip apart, I'd rather go that route. Thoughts?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Connecting Shade Cloth with clips?

Post by Token » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:24 am

I’ve used clips on Aluminet but only as anchor points for ball bungees.

It would depend on the type of shade cloth.

The big-box stuff is pretty heavy. Aluminet is light.

Running it through a serger doesn’t seem like that big of a deal for 60 feet. An experienced operator can do that in minutes.

Have you checked with local business that can do the sewing for you? Awning places, sail makers etc.

standingstill

Post by standingstill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am

I hadn't thought about getting someone to professionally sew the pieces together, but I'll look into it. Seems like it might be pricey though. I thought about maybe trying to hand sew it together using a strong fishing line, but that might take a while. The stuff I'm planning on getting is 90% knitted shade cloth, which is suppose to be stronger than the woven stuff.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:16 pm

Token wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:24 am
Have you checked with local business that can do the sewing for you? Awning places, sail makers etc.
standingstill wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:35 am
Seems like it might be pricey though.
Token wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:24 am
An experienced operator can do that in minutes.
In addition to awning places, sail makers, etc.., if you have larger sewing/material stores, they often have a list of people who can do which types of jobs. They may have a lead on a person or business that has a setup suitable for that.
What I've found essential for custom work is to go in knowing what you want simply explained, but always asking 'is there a better/easier way to do this'. I.e., 'how much to hand sew it together using a strong fishing line' and getting 'we don't do that' or 'that's really expensive', vs. 'how about we just run it through our serger'.
In areas I'm not familiar with, or have been out of the loop for a while, I like including 'are there any questions I should be asking'.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm

What is the finished size. I can't picture cutting 12 x 100 and sewing 60 feet of it. A serger? They cut the fabric as you sew and finish the edge. You just need a sewing machine. Straight stitch.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:27 am

I recommend a serger because that is what we use in agriculture on knit shade cloth. The stich stays stretchy and the shade cloth retains better uniformity under tension.

We talked about this a while back and you educated me that modern sewing machines do the same overlap hook as traditional sergers, so yes, a sewing machine would do.

Sewing 60’ with a helper or two in a big space would be fun.

Alternatively, if you design your shade such that it takes two 12 x 60 foot spans...

Other option is to grommet-clip each side and use a rope for tension in a tensegrity setup.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”