Kodiak 10x14 Simple Shade Structure and PVC Question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
nosys
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Kodiak 10x14 Simple Shade Structure and PVC Question

Post by nosys » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

First post :D

Have done a bunch of reading on shade structures for Kodiak tents (and everything else - thanks all for sharing) and just can't quite nail (lag screw) down what I want to do.

After much research, we purchased a Kodiak 10x14 which is an amazing palace of a tent. Obviously want to have some shade over the tent - however, the size and the height of the tent make it a bit challenging. We're driving an Acura TL sedan in - we'll fit everything besides what we'd need to build a big ass monkey hut.

My thought is this - rather than do a full EMT structure, will it work to just put up four PVC poles on rebar with guy lines and then fix a tarp + aluminet to the top/sides? Is it really necessary to have the horizontal top PVC for the structure?

Side PVC question: it seems that everyone uses long lengths of PVC for their EMT/monkey huts. In an effort to make the PVC more transportable, I've seen differing opinions on what you can do from a coupling perspective. Can you couple two 5' PVC lengths together and not risk danger in the conditions of the playa?

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Kodiak 10x14 Simple Shade Structure and PVC Question

Post by Popeye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

nosys wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm
First post :D

Have done a bunch of reading on shade structures for Kodiak tents (and everything else - thanks all for sharing) and just can't quite nail (lag screw) down what I want to do.

After much research, we purchased a Kodiak 10x14 which is an amazing palace of a tent. Obviously want to have some shade over the tent - however, the size and the height of the tent make it a bit challenging. We're driving an Acura TL sedan in - we'll fit everything besides what we'd need to build a big ass monkey hut.

My thought is this - rather than do a full EMT structure, will it work to just put up four PVC poles on rebar with guy lines and then fix a tarp + aluminet to the top/sides? Is it really necessary to have the horizontal top PVC for the structure
I believe it is necessary. EMT over revar is not a tight fit and your structure will flop around without a crossmember..

Side PVC question: it seems that everyone uses long lengths of PVC for their EMT/monkey huts. In an effort to make the PVC more transportable, I've seen differing opinions on what you can do from a coupling perspective. Can you couple two 5' PVC lengths together and not risk danger in the conditions of the playa?
If you make your own coupling then maybe it would be ok. Off the shelf couplings will break. They did on me my first year and I would not use them again.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:13 pm

I just drape a big ol piece of aluminum over mine
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Nosys, you are tossing both EMT and PVC concepts but talking about a Monkey Hut - I.e. a Quonset.

Let’s slow down and sort some of the excitement. :)

A Monkey Hut is built from PVC pipe that is bent and tensioned to give it great strength in a single dimensional plane. Many of these are arranged like ribs to form a tunnel and a big ol’ tarp is nailed down on top of it to hold everything in place.

EMT is a metal conduit that is rigid and is used to build carport-like shade structures using connectors that hold things together at right angles.

Neither of these will fit into/onto your Acura TL.

Lucky is spot on with Aluminet but you gotta hurry and order now.

Add some pool noodles to space the Aluminet a bit on the tent.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Another ePlayan solved the Monkey Hut arch length problem for that tent. It is longer than 20'. I have attached roof rack bars to rental cars using the vehicle-specific bracket with my own rack. Then I transported 20' 1" pvc pipes bent over the hood towards the front bumper and hanging out the back with a red flag for maybe 5' and with a rope to the rear bumper. There may be pipe recycling after the event off playa. Mine went into my yard for sprinklers and wiring. Easy to dispose of at home on CL. You can get the pipe and silver tarps at a building supply store inbound, or bring from home.

If you are using Aluminet, you can make a tensegrity box.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

krly

Post by krly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:11 pm

A number of people join lengths of pvc or emt. The pvc uses 12"-18" of the next larger size as a "sleeve" (i.e. if using 1" ribs use 1 1/4" for sleeves). If using emt just buy the proper size "connector" from the store you buy your corners and Tees from.

nosys
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Post by nosys » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm
Then I transported 20' 1" pvc pipes bent over the hood towards the front bumper and hanging out the back with a red flag for maybe 5' and with a rope to the rear bumper.

If you are using Aluminet, you can make a tensegrity box.
Kudos on the monkey hut - that size is out of the question (this year). Thinking we'll do a three-pole tensegrity in front of the tent for shade.
Token wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm
Let’s slow down and sort some of the excitement. :)
Lucky is spot on with Aluminet but you gotta hurry and order now.
Add some pool noodles to space the Aluminet a bit on the tent.
Not the first or last time I've read a post of yours Token & Lucky. Thanks. Thinking draping the Aluminet and spacing out so we have an air pocket above, combined with tensegrity for common area shade will work.

Curious how significant the difference between a proper EMT/Monkey shade structure and the draped Aluminet in terms of temperature inside the tent. Any thoughts?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm

nosys wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm
some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:23 pm
Curious how significant the difference between a proper EMT/Monkey shade structure and the draped Aluminet in terms of temperature inside the tent. Any thoughts?
Shade of any kind will buy you an hour of extra sleep, more or less, with a full canvas tent.

A good canvas tent, an RV with no A/C, doesn’t matter, it gets hot as an oven. Any enclosed sealed space will become unbearable in time.

The key is to adapt, have enough shade outside the tent where the breeze is wonderful, and camp chairs for napping.

BM taught me how to nap whenever a good spot shows up.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”