Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
azebb
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: None.

Post by azebb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 am

If all goes as planned, as it always does, I will be in line at 12 am when the event opens. I am doing the set up for later arriving friends. It will be me and my girl. An RV a trailer and a large tent. It will be dark and it is my first burn. I do not want to make a stupid virgin mistake from being tired and lost. My footprint will be large for the 2 of us. PLease give me your thoughts. I am bringing 2 very quiet generators and am making sound absorbing cases to muffle them further. I just want to be considerate and not have to set up twice or anger the neighbors. what is a reasonable address and expectation to avoid rookie mistakes?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Location

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:12 am

First go here and learn the city plan.

Read the whole thing and have your lady quiz you on the full text of that web page.

https://burningman.org/event/black-rock ... city-plan/

This is the only part that deals with authoritative rules:
Reserved camp space is marked on the playa with blue survey flags. Some of these plots are so large that they may appear unclaimed and available, when they actually are not. Be sure to camp outside the blue flagged zones to avoid encroaching on reserved zones and then having to relocate your camp.
This means you need to have a big ass powerful flashlight to see them blue flags at night. Lots of high power LED flashlights out there so go big.

The rest is all normal interactions with regular people in the neighborhood. Pull over the rig if you like a spot, check for the blue flags, if none go talk to folks there, offer a cold beverage, be friendly, see if you like the vibe.

Now, based on your other posts and topics, y’all sound like you want to camp in the Red-Light District.

Historically the RLD has been in the 7:00 to 9:00 side of town but you may need to do some sleuthing to co firm on the Interwebs.

The guys on the 5:00 to 3:00 side are usually geriatric old NIMBY types with their Hushtowns, afternoon naps, and Murder She Wrote marathons on big projector screens.

And last but not least, once gate opens for reals, any reservations, land grabs, folks claiming shit is theirs, reserved, etc if pure bullshit. Respect the blue flags, the road boundaries but all else is someone pulling a power trip. Lots of biggus dickus happens with land grabs out there.

Be social, chat, entertain, offer mustache rides ... but also know when to see through the bullhonkey.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 am

Could be a problem. The org has warned they're mixing it up with the placements this year. Neighbourhoods are an unknown quantity.

Note the huge purple areas in the 2018 map, as placement wasn't finalized. Purple is for placed camps. On-site, these should be marked out on the ground. Compare to the 2017 map. Aim for the white space. Further out to the edge is more likely to be free; people like to be close to the action they want to go for. See if you can find aerial views of BRC from 2017, to see where there's still open space. (used to be, now?) tends to be noisier out to the far wings of BRC.
See where the porta-potties are located this year. You may wish to be near, or farther away.

Biggest issue: How will your friends find you.
That means you have to camp as close as possible to where you plan to be?
Have something very distinctive for them to recognize?
Arrange a fall-back meeting point? Intersection close to your original intended camp location?
Hand-held radios?

Generators:
Stay clear of walk-in camping? If you end up near Hushville or similar (they treasure what peace & quiet they can get), consider moving somewhat further away as a courtesy? As a courtesy, when you arrive, if the space you need will put you close to neighbours, ask if they mind two quiet & case-muffled generators? (and if those are for a 'sound camp'?)
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am

Canoe wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:28 am
Could be a problem. The org has warned they're mixing it up with the placements this year. Neighbourhoods are an unknown quantity.
Oooooooh! Nice!

So your saying the high voltage tingletron skin-effect plasma dildo mounted on the mechanical bull could be right next to the Hari Krishna camp?

Far Out!

BTW, don’t be afraid of the Porto-Potties. They reek only when they are pumped, usually first thing in the am. You don’t want to be on top of them cuz the slamming doors do get annoying but there is solace when you don’t have to trek out for your morning glory.

Unless you are 100% sure you can get your RV pumped by Wed. do not use the crapper, ever! And save the water for a shower late in the week not on day 2.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:01 pm

Token wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am
Oooooooh! Nice!
So your saying the high voltage tingletron skin-effect plasma dildo mounted on the mechanical bull could be right next to the Hari Krishna camp? Far Out!
Well, I guess they could camp in between them.
Nearby is likely better to get video of both "interacting".
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

azebb
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: None.

Post by azebb » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:45 pm

So basically, anything not flagged is open game. I will definitely be respectful of everyones desires and also realize it would be impossible please everyone. Might just Garden Party this one and please myself. I won't try to make my big ass footprint an imposition on the good folks. I have not tested my noise cancelling generator design yet but will soon. They operate at 62db so I think im ok. Guess we will wing it. Damn right. Look for me , I will be the super confused guy with too much crap and a frustrated girlfriend asking me why I didnt plan better. I am soooo gonna eff this up. Hopefully dawn will break as I enter and enlighten my path.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:02 pm

And remember, no matter how well you prepare ...

You’re doing it wrong!

You’ll be alright.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:04 pm

I have 200 feet of cloth banners sewn onto strong nylon strapping. We have a small placed camp and need to protect every inch.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”