Securing shade to vehicles

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Liz Zay
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Heavy petting zoo

Securing shade to vehicles

Post by Liz Zay » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:19 am

Hi burner world! I have been to the playa a few times but this is my first time having to figure out my own shade and it's a struggle! I bought a Kodiak tent but I still want shade on top. I am planning to set up between two trucks and secure a shade structure to the trucks. I'm going to get a triangle shade sail.

My question is: do you have any tips for securing the sail to the vehicles in a way that won't damage them? One of the trucks is a rental so I definitely don't want to do any damage from the wind. What materials should I buy?

Thank you!!! )'(

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Securing shade to vehicles

Post by Token » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 am

Triangle shade sails sure make a spot pretty but are less than useful for actual shade. They simply don’t cast a good shadow.

My wife loves them for “curb appeal” on the ranch so I got tons of them all over.

Ducks love it.

If you get your crew to park the trucks just right, you can just pitch your tent in the “shade” side of the trucks.

Otherwise, use the non-rental truck and take a shade cloth diagonally from the truck box to the ground. Aluminet is recommended as its light weight and let’s wind through.

As for attaching, hard to say without seeing the truck. Bring a bunch of pool noodles as they come in handy as shims for protecting corners and whatnot.

Good luck.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 pm

Token wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 am
Bring a bunch of pool noodles as they come in handy as shims for protecting corners and whatnot.
I like the pipe insulation...cheap, pre-cut, the glue on it not the greatest, but it can stay stuck if under pressure. I bring extra as when packing up, it's great to have around.
pipe insulation 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:10 am

I don't like the pipe-insulation for that. Too soft, compresses too much, doesn't maintain its clearance, tears too easily.

The pool noodles I get are significantly more robust than pipe-insulation: keep way more of their 'loft' under load, resist tearing (even when abused some). So far from the one's I've bought, no difference between the dollar store ones or regular store ones, except for available sizes, colours, shapes (extruded profiles). Cuts easily, up its length like pipe-insulation, and even in spirals to fit onto a pipe/leg of something that's already assembled.
Tape in place. Stucco Tape.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:29 am

Thanks for the compression words.

I guess I just went cheap long ago as the pool noodles always seem too expensive. But, really, what is a few more bucks...the money spent after the ticket purchase is always much higher than the ticket...can't be helped! :D

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:40 am

I buy the dollar store noodles and replace them every couple of years when they start to fall apart.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:42 am

So did you hear the one about me mooping noodles in the fast lane?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

dustandsnow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by dustandsnow » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Last year I used loops of rope tied to the undercarriage of the truck then connected them to ratchet straps to tighten the aluminet across the top, just hooking the ratchet straps to the gromets on the aluminet.
(girlfriend for scale)

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”