Car Camping

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Gaia Sophia
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Art Support Camp Bloom

Car Camping

Post by Gaia Sophia » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 am

This will be my first Burn and I will be part of an art support camp. I plan on sleeping in my car and using my tent to store my things and for dressing/undressing .
I've traveled from Massachusetts and found my tent to NOT be as sturdy as I thought. '
I plan on:
Covering the inside with plastic sheeting,
Taping the outside seams with painters tape and
Tarping the car and tent to help protect from sun and dust and staking with rebar with covers.

Is this doable? Any other things I can be doing for this?
Thank you!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Car Camping

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am

I'm so glad you asked. Sleeping in your car and using a tent for storage is a great idea. If you can get comfortable in the car. Covering the inside of the car is great for dust control but you won't want to be anywhere near plastic sheeting. I cover everything with fleece or old sheets.

What are you going to tape? I don't get that part. Don't put a tarp or cover on your car unless you don't care about the paint job. The wind will whip it against the car till it leaves marks. If you want to get fancy you can buy a roll of reflectix and some stucco tape at home depot. Cut it to fit the glass and tape it on when you get there.

Remember it will be 150 degrees in your car so be careful what you leave in there. Your phone battery may be dead in a couple of days .

Your tent will be as sturdy as you make it. If it is staked down in 4 directions, chances are it won't blow over.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Gaia Sophia
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Art Support Camp Bloom

Post by Gaia Sophia » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am

I'll be taping the outside seams for windows and doors I wont be using. Ill only use one door to go in/out. Since Im traveling I took all the seats out of my car (except for the drivers seat of course) and a friend made a bed platform on the passengers side.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 am

I genuinely do not understand the taping of “seems” and whatnot. Is that to try and stop the Playa dust from entering the vehicle?

You, your body, hands, feet, hair will track in all the Playa dust you can dream of and then some.

Taping to attach Reflectix or similar radiant barrier - yes. I get that. It’s effective. Do it on the outside of the vehicle so it can reflect light and heat.

But if you are going to sleep in the car, forget about trying to dustproof and focus on mitigation instead.

Cover all surfaces with old bedsheets from the thrift store or similar. Do several layers of that and just remove a layer when it gets too stuffy.

Always have a no-footware rule for the car during the camping phase. It helps allot.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”