Solo Camp Suggestions

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
CapNChuck
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Solo

Solo Camp Suggestions

Post by CapNChuck » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 am

Wednesday, March 7, 2018
12:08 AM

Greetings beautiful playa souls!

First time burner from AZ with a group of 8 that are all virgins as well. We are coming in an RV with about 4/5 Tents attached to make our own camp site.

I have done countless hours of research for this burn and am exceptionally excited about it but want to reach out to some seasoned veterans for any advice I may not have already found.

I am a lighting designer and DJ and am planning on bringing a small sound system for our modest camp site anchored by our RV. I know the decibel rule and etiquette of doin such a thing and plan on being as respectful as possible while sharing what makes my group who we are with the rest of BRC.

I have some friends hosting large themed camps that have stages and am actually DJ a couple different locations throughout the week but did not really want to be too attached to other camps as our group is pretty free spirited and wanted to feel free to do our own thing while in BRC.

What areas of town would you suggest that I focus on to set up my camp site? Considering that I am bringing sound equipment and plan on playing live music for passing BRC residents (During acceptable time frames and at acceptable volumes) Id like to be open to a street to keep the area inviting. Our group may also need to leave a day or two early so having the RV near a street for an easy exit is also a point of consideration. Ideal id like to be near an intersection with our camp site open to said intersection.

Our RV is 30' and we will have about 4 tents set up around the awning side of the RV. Again my main points to the camp is that it is inviting, not blasting another campsite with music or the backside of the RV where the generator is. Thus why I wanted to be open to a street.

If I am trying to get in as early as possible to grab a good spot when should one head to the gate? We will be stopping early Saturday morning at an RV park about 3/4 hours from BRC so in theory after a quick rest we could be at the gates rested and before Saturday at Midnight. I am not worried about it taking a bit of time to get in but would like to get in line as early as possible.

Thanks in advance and cannot wait to meet some beautiful souls during this years Burn.

Love & Cheers.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Solo Camp Suggestions

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 am

You should probably *avoid* being near Hushville (6:30 and E). Otherwise, anywhere that is convenient.

If you're not in the large scale sound installation areas, you should follow the sound policy for the event. Yeah, 300W, not much, but if you tune it nicely, maybe it'll have more impact.

It is good that you're concerned about your generators, but the fact is that there is no good place to situate a generator at BRC unless you're able to cordon off its sound from everyone, or you're out in the J ring and firing it out into nowhere. Sending the sound into the streets, or into the middle of the block, or anywhere is going to be heard. A better thing to do is use a quiet generator like a Honda EU-series generator in lieu of the loud ones that are inside RVs or just loud ones in general.

Where to camp? You're just going to have to see when you get there. Just pick a region, like "around 3:00-4:00, somewhere from F to J). Maybe just plan your camping spot around how close it is to the nearest bathroom? You'll probably always find a spot near a street. It's not like you'll get stuck in the center of a block.

Also, the city plan this year is not very specific about what areas are general open camping areas. You'll have to survey the plots around a potential camping spot to ensure that you're not camping over blue flagged areas.

In the end, you may have to settle for whatever space you can find, especially if you're trying to show up at the gate when it opens at midnight. There will probably be many people in front of you, and you'll probably get in many hours later after the gate opens. You'll be tired, but very much awake. It'll be dark. You'll be driving really slow and need to check if the plots are vacant and available.

--

When to show up to arrive at the gate? I dunno, maybe leave Reno a couple hours before the gate opens.

Just make sure you don't show up early. Or you'll be one of the last people allowed in the gate, which can mean half a day waiting. Better bunk up.

Unless you're able to time things out perfectly, expect to wait 5-6 hours in line. Hell, even with Work Access Passes, the wait was like 3-4 hours or more at times.

Enjoy that time as part of the experience. You'll get in when you get in.

--

For your music:

By live music, do you mean like playing actual instruments and singing live music? If so, maybe you'll attract some people to listen in on your music.

If it's just spinning tracks as a DJ, you're probably not going to attract anyone to your camp if that's all you're providing.

Will you also be serving drinks at a camp event? Do you have a camp sign? Decorations? Stuff to make your camp stand out against thousands of others? Ways to draw in people? DJ-spun music itself isn't going to draw a crowd. You may not even want to hang around in camp to play it.

Also consider: it's your first year. Are you really planning on hanging around camp and play music to randos in the outskirts of the city? There's a whole playa and city to explore. The only reason I'd bring a sound system for a small camp of an RV and some tents is to have some tunes while making food or hanging out after a long night.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

CapNChuck
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Solo

Post by CapNChuck » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:16 am

Thank you! That’s all great info. By live I mean some live synth stuff if I get bored and want to play around during the several days we’ll be out there. It was initially just for our group while we’re hanging at camp or eating being able to play music and have our own party when we’re not on the playa exploring. I just wanted to make sure that I if I go through the trouble to set something like that up it would be inviting to whomever would want to come hang with us.

Regarding enterence. You said if you arrive early you could be the last in?? Is that like a punishment to deter people from crowding the gate on Saturday night? If so, you have to just time it perfectly by pulling up at the gate at 12:00am Sunday morning and not 11:59 Saturday night? We are picking up our bike rentals at Wadsworth. It was my idea to stay at an RV Park in Fernley on Saturday while we await our departure time. Also one of the camps I’m djing for mentioned a work pass but wasn’t sure if it was necessary. Maybe that would be a bennefit to us?

Thank you for your responsive and very informative advice already.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 am

BBadger wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 am
You should probably *avoid* being near Hushville (6:30 and E).
I'd add Kidsville (5:00-5:15, E-G) to that list as well. Normally it shares the block with Hushville, but not this year.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 am

If you have early entry with a WORK access pass it is to work. Plus you must be in that camp until the gates open. Every person needs one individually to get in early.

Looking at our 4:30 Sector page on Facebook, camps are placed all the way out to H street and I street so you'll just take what you can find. Don't count on a corner lot. Don't set up till you check with the neighbors. Then, set out some stuff to mark your perimeter. The playa is a hive of activity for the next 24 hours.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Don’t use the awning. Odds are good the winds will rip it off.

The RV will cast shade for the tents if you park it the right direction. Use that.

That plan for tunes and whatnot for when someone is in camp ...

... unless you have a daily scheduled meal time, yeah, you’ll have at most 3 - 4 in camp at the same time. Two probably passed out.

If its a personal hobby thing with the music that makes you happy, sure, knock yourselves out, but you will not be a neighborhood attraction.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm
. . . but you will not be a neighborhood attraction.
You are allowed to try :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 pm
Token wrote:
You should get on that track right away and tell us how it goes. :twisted:

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:06 pm
Traveller in Time wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:18 pm
Token wrote:
You should get on that track right away and tell us how it goes. :twisted:
yes but please no megaphone

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Token wrote:
That plan for tunes and whatnot for when someone is in camp ...

... unless you have a daily scheduled meal time, yeah, you’ll have at most 3 - 4 in camp at the same time. Two probably passed out.
And don't be that asshat who plays annoying tunes in the morning to an empty camp when everyone is trying to sleep. Happened at our camp. Like really, why are you're even up? And you're playing this garbage, and not even doing it well?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”