Best place to get shade tarps

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Best place to get shade tarps

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 am

I've got a few shade tarps (10x10, 80%) and I'm doing a test run on my EMT shade structure (10x20) this weekend. I'm a little concerned that the grommets are 24" apart. Anyone have any suggestions on where to order some that has either 18" or even 12" grommet spacing? Or will I be fine with 24" spacing?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Best place to get shade tarps

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:04 am

You can easily put more inbetween the existing ones. Harbor freight has a gromet kit for under $5. The tool is crap but you get a bunch of gromets. Home depot sells a good enough gromet tool for $10. I put a thread on here with detailed instructions on how to alter a plastic tarp. It shows how easy it is to do your own gromets. Install them on a wooden block sitting on concrete. Piece of cake.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Post by pedroescobar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks I'll take a peak at that thread.

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm

For grommets I got this machine, and it works quite well with a small bit of practice. You'll definitely want to reinforce the area on tarps/shade cloth though by sewing/glueing reinforcements around where the grommet will go.

If it's shade cloth, I'd use shade cloth clip which clips onto the shade cloth and forms a grommet area that's pretty secure. It takes a bit of force to get it properly closed, I just use a pair of pliers. You can also undo them and pull them off.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 pm

I always get the Harpster heavy duty 6oz silvered tarps from Amazon. They're great quality and light blocking.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”