Where to set up camp? Solo virgin Burner

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
beacondemitri
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Where to set up camp? Solo virgin Burner

Post by beacondemitri » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 am

Alright guys 22 yr old virgin burner dude here. I’m sure these questions have been asked but I have not been able to find a forum that answers my questions. Originally I was going to bring an rv but was not able to get it road worthy in time. (Next year) anyway long story short I’m bringing my car a 10 x 10 shade structure that my tent will fit inside of. I have not registered a camp as I am solo l. So how do I know where I can set up? Is it first come first serve in some areas? I would like to be as close to other people as possible but understand if not. Any recommendations and info on where to camp would be great. Or if anybody needs help with camp and has an open spot hit me up. I know it’s last minute. Cheerz

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Where to set up camp? Solo virgin Burner

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 am

Please consult the online guide.

Don't camp inside blue-flag marked areas; they're reserved. Nearly everywhere will have people camping near you, but the closer you are to the playa (i.e. the earlier in the alphabet the street you're on), the more populated the city will be, but also more occupied.

So try finding a spot outside the blue flagged areas (but not in the streets) as close as possible to the interior of the city (or don't, if don't want as much noise or crowding). It is first-come-first-served for non-reserved areas.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 am

Demetri, if you 10 x 10 shade structure is one of the EZ Up canopies, make sure that you stake it down really well.

The EZ Up is famous for buckling, ripping away and flying and impaling cars and people.

Recommended: get t-posts and pound them in to support the legs of the EZ Up. Tape legs to secured t-posts. Keep EZ Up at lowest height possible.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 am

What day are you coming in? If you time it right with HOVerland, you might be able to squeeze in there Wednesday afternoon.

beacondemitri

Post by beacondemitri » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:10 am

spacetime wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 am
What day are you coming in? If you time it right with HOVerland, you might be able to squeeze in there Wednesday afternoon.
Was planning on Sunday or Monday

beacondemitri

Post by beacondemitri » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am

Token wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 am
Demetri, if you 10 x 10 shade structure is one of the EZ Up canopies, make sure that you stake it down really well.

The EZ Up is famous for buckling, ripping away and flying and impaling cars and people.

Recommended: get t-posts and pound them in to support the legs of the EZ Up. Tape legs to secured t-posts. Keep EZ Up at lowest height possible.
It’s not an ez up it’s a car port turned on it’s side that will be tied down with u rebar. It’s been modified with new holes and cross beams. And will be wrapped with ace hardware sun shade, with grommets. Had to come up with it in 2 days

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am

Right On!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Your carport sounds great. On its side? Does that mean you left the legs off on one side? We call that clamshell. Youll be fine. Check with the neighbors before you set up. Ask them where the sun comes up and which way the wind blows. Have fun. Say yes to almost everything.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm

One place not to set up is the road. My first year some folks came along in the middle of the night and set their tent up there. :shock: I think it worked...for a few hours. Don't know where they went after that.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 pm

beacondemitri wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 am
Token wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 am

It’s not an ez up it’s a car port turned on it’s side that will be tied down with u rebar. It’s been modified with new holes and cross beams. And will be wrapped with ace hardware sun shade, with grommets. Had to come up with it in 2 days
I've done similarly! Kind of a lean-to. :)

It can be tricky deciding which way to point it, as the wind usually comes from the SW and it's nice to block that a little, but the sunrise is of course from the East. It can be nice to use a combo of vehicle + neighbors' vehicles (if they're willing) to kind of do both.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

beacondemitri

Post by beacondemitri » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:15 pm

The car port is actually more on its front if that makes sense. not on its side per say. So where the car would go in is facing the ground. So the floor plan is a sort of hexagon shape. I was thinking black shade mesh on the sides for some air flow and silver tarp on the flat top Sound good?

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”