Impact Drivers

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
pedroescobar
Burning Since: 2017

Impact Drivers

Post by pedroescobar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

Since it doesn't seem to be the single source for good impact drivers I figured I'd ask the question. I'm looking at the Milwaukee M18 Impact Driver that is included in this set and wondering if it would work for 16" 1/2 lags? I don't want to get down there and not be able to setup my shade because it would lack the power to drive them in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... 846386-_-N

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Impact Drivers

Post by Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Most likely, yes. Just make sure to get a socket adapter that's rated for impact drivers, and matches the socket you're getting. I know you can get some individual sockets at HD, but you might as well get a good quality set. Always useful. And get a 2nd socket adapter, just in case.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 pm

It will absolutely do the job. I prefer Milwaukee cordless tools for two reasons, they’re what the best pro mechanics at the truck shops around here use, and they have the widest range of available tools that use their battery. They also sell a King Kong big daddy impact driver that will do truck lug nuts.

That’s a good set you won’t regret buying.
Close second choice is DeWalt, their equivalent set is just as good, but they don’t have nearly as wide a choice of other compatible tools. If these are all you’re ever gonna buy, either is fine.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks. I assumed I’d be fine with this but wanted to confirm. I’ll make sure to have a few spares of the adapters as well as 3 total batteries so I don’t have to worry about running out of juice.

Drizzt321

Post by Drizzt321 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Yea, unless you're driving huge number you should be fine with 3 batteries. I think I lasted a full 4A battery on my Dewalt XR impact driver last year driving ~20 or so 3/8 x 14 in and also out at the end without having to change. Bring the charger _just_ in case, cause your neighbor might need to borrow it. You never know.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Absolutely bring the charger.
Even if you haven’t got power, people around you will. Generally, if you just want to charge some batteries people with juice will be happy to oblige.

Multiple adapters and sockets is a good idea not only in case of breakage but things get lost.

I’d suggest since you’ll have that thing bring a full set of sockets. You never know what it might be handy for.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Drizzt321 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm
Yea, unless you're driving huge number you should be fine with 3 batteries. I think I lasted a full 4A battery on my Dewalt XR impact driver last year driving ~20 or so 3/8 x 14 in and also out at the end without having to change. Bring the charger _just_ in case, cause your neighbor might need to borrow it. You never know.
Yeah I’m doing 10-12 16” 1/2 lags and 6 12” 3/8 in each conduit foot (1 in each foot) so having the smaller extra battery will be helpful. I’ve got power as well so once the shade is set up I’ll charge both and put them away unless a neighbor needs them. This is for a 10’ x 20’ 1” emt shade with 8’ verticals. I went over engineered with 5000lb climbing anchors and 3500lb ratchet straps as the guy lines. Again over engineered with simple pieces for easy build and takedown.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Over-engineering shade structures = winning in BRC.
While bringing the charger and extra batteries is great, I bet one battery does all that with power to spare.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 pm

I like their FUEL M18 line since it uses brushless motors. Also they seem much less expensive on Amazon than other places. Maybe they're pieced out kits or something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 am

The one I got is an M18 Brushless, just not the Fuel class. 1500lb/ft of torque vs 1800lb/ft for half the cost. Otherwise they are basically the same. Home Depot has mine on sale for $199 vs $400 for the Fuel version (both come with a drill as well). You get 2 5amp batteries with the Fuel version versus a 2 and 4 but my neighbor is sending me with an extra 5amp so I’m not worried.

jacquesio
Camp Name: Crack Whores

Post by jacquesio » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Sounds like a lot of us will be out there with the M18 batteries, I'll be happy to charge for anyone who needs (6:45 & B, I think).

Really looking forward to using my new big-ass M18 fuel 1/2" wrench and 1/2"x18" lags because it's definitely overkill that will last for years to come.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

Holy Mackrel,

Five hundred clams for an impact wrench!?

I can see myself getting one cuz it’s no fun swapping tires on a tractor or skid-steer but for this? Camping in a desert?

A $20 claw hammer, $20 Vise-Grip, 12 inch 3/8 nails are two for a buck, at worst a concrete form stake for $3 for the really big stuff.

Y’all are fucking rich!

More money in this than the ticket itself.

Funny stuff.

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:13 am

Yeah that will probably drive 24" 1/2 lags with no problem. I'll stick with my $199 set (with drill).

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 pm

If you wanted the 1/2” drive impact anyway (they are pretty awesome) it’s a great tool.
But yeah, if it’s only for this, ridiculous overkill.
I’m gonna buy the big one myself, for truck lug nuts.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:55 pm

I got some lags and chain links about 4 years back, I only use them for guy straps if and when the winds start to really sway things... My set up requires pounding 12 pieces of rebar 12"-15" deep, which isn't that hard.

Anyways, I wouldn't have switched to lag bolts just for the addition of a guy line or two that I only use when warranted. But, I had already dropped $500+ on an electric Snap-On 3/8" impact gun that I use nearly everyday since I've had it, due to my profession...
In my experience these impact guns last 10-12 years with the first two batteries. By that time something greater an more powerful has come out, so it's usually not worth buying new batteries, just a whole new set-up...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Token

Post by Token » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 pm

I must be old or something...

When I drop half a grand on a tool I expect a pull-chord and a choke on it.

;)

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:38 pm

You know what’s cool, Milwaukee even has a weed wacker that uses the tool batteries. I’m probably gonna get one. One less thing I have to mess with, grab it in spring after putting it away wet last year, press the button and it goes.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Token wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 pm
I must be old or something...

When I drop half a grand on a tool I expect a pull-chord and a choke on it.

;)
Yeah, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on tools either if I didn't make my money everyday with them...

A $500 cordless impact gun is just the tip of the iceberg... I don't have much time or patience to dick around with failing, weak or half-assed tools. If they can't handle anything I throw at them, they're not worth buying.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Kenshiro

Post by Kenshiro » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:01 am

Pay attention to how hot the thing gets as you go. Even though most impact drivers may have the juice to put a lag bolt in just fine any given time, smaller units may accumulate heat more easily if you’re doing a bunch in quick succession and that can shorten the life of the tool considerably. I went and got a larger impact wrench (well...two, actually) as an insurance policy in case my camp ends up needing them and we end up putting down several dozen lags.

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 am

Gosh, I thought the whole BM experience was to temporary divorce ourselves from the bondage of elecktronix gadgetry?

I suggest a speeder wrench, lightweight, inexpensive and no batteries required.

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-in ... kgo.com%2F
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am

Wow, that could be the most inaccurate thing ever said about Burning Man!

Burning Man is and always has been packed with electricity... amplified sound... lights... lasers... sparks... motors...
There’s a HUGE amount of tech and electricity in Black Rock City.
I think you’ve mistaken the very high-tech Burning Man event with the Rainbow Gathering.

And by the way, that speeder wrench handle for driving lags into the playa is NOT a good idea. Have you ever driven 16”-18” lags into the playa with one?

Token

Post by Token » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:49 am

Whenever my Mrs. wants to hang pictures or mirrors in the house, something I just hate doing, she walks into the living room with a lag bolt and a hammer.

Works every time!

That look of horror on my face is classic comedy!

pedroescobar

Post by pedroescobar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

That impact driver was plenty of power for the 16" 1/2" lag...

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”