Setting Up a Campsite - Do I have this Right??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
NateyPi
Burning Since: 2011

Setting Up a Campsite - Do I have this Right??

Post by NateyPi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Hello All,

I 'm coming to burning man with a friend and we have 2 hexayurts, 1 (10'x20') carport and a cargo van which we're using to haul stuff and as storage during the event. We are not part of a camp. Let me know if I'm understanding the concept of where/how to camp correctly. We're planning to arrive at the gates around 10-11am on opening day Sunday.

We can camp anywhere in the city, within the named/timed street grid in any area that is not enclosed with blue flags?? Probably somewhere around Iron Giant to Leon since there would be more space available there? Would our arrival time mean that the city is already filled and we need to go to walk-in camping? Because we would really like the van near to keep our stuff.

Do we just find an open spot, map out how much space we'll need for the shade and yurts and plant camp flags to mark campsite boundaries, then start building??

Is it customary to take a little extra space beyond what you need (to give a generator buffer zone) or is it customary to keep your boundaries as tight as possible. Don't want to be the dick who takes enough land to farm nor the guy with his neighbor's generator pressed up against his yurt.

Is there a particular place / sector where you have to set up yurts or can you just set them up wherever you find space to camp. Not sure if there is like some specific dwelling type (tent only / rv only / yurt only) areas?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!
NateyPi

Drizzt321

Re: Setting Up a Campsite - Do I have this Right??

Post by Drizzt321 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Correct, not enclosed by blue flags. When you find a spot ask the folks nearby to ensure it's not a placed camp that's simply awaiting more people. If they are NOT a placed camp, they are not supposed to hold space without the people already there. If they claim it because they're simply unloading and have yet to setup, that's fine. But also use common sense as to claiming a spot or not.

At a guess, sounds like you'll need ~20x40'? Probably a bit more, which is fine. Might be nice to have less frontage and more depth due to the way to the space is setup. Ask folks, most are perfectly happy to work things out.

Once you do find a spot, it's fine to set a few things out, some bins or what not, to make the area you'll need to setup. Just make sure at least 1 person is there (porto potty trips!) and get your stuff out and show sign that you're actually going to be taking the space up. Otherwise some folks might get a bit aggro if it looks like you're trying to hold too much space.

I wouldn't look to necessarily have/need a buffer zone to help keep room for everyone, but definitely talk to your neighbors on both sizes, behind you, on either side behind you, and perhaps ya'll can put your generators all in the same general area so overall it's easier/quieter for everyone.

As for what you can setup where...nope! No special zones for what types of structures where.

Don't forget to familiarize yourself with the fuel storage requirements https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... t-storage/

A cheap kiddie pool, properly inflated, with a tarp on on the inside over the edges to ensure fuel spills are avoided, or at least contained if they do happen.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:23 pm

There’s two of you, each with a Hexa AND a communal carport?

Fucking sweet!

Pull into a spot.

Forget the flags, just dump your crap all over your footprint.

Piss on the edges like any good alpha male. ;)

Whip out cold beers, whiskey and wake up all your new neighbors.

Put up the car port.

Build one hexayurt.

Get on a bike and ride out.

When you get back in thee days realize that one hexayurt was enough.

NateyPi

Post by NateyPi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 pm

@Drizzt321: Thx, all the items have a tarp so I'll probably lay that out and pin them down first to show intention of space use. I'm not bringing any generator nor fuel except small propane bottles which will be kept in storage tub until needed. All items battery powered.

@Token: I like the approach, but it's going to be a big perimeter and that is a lot of pee for just showing up on the playa day one. Day 2 or 3 of drinking maybe, but that's a bold gamble on day 1. I do have some small flags I can tape to lag screws; not as strong a claim as a urine marking, but hopefully will suffice.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Just keep pounding energy drinks in your vehicle on gate road while waiting to get through greeters, by the time you find your spot you'll have enough saved up... mark out a small basketball court.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 am

Search from some of the aerial photos from last year to get an idea of where space is taken and where it's not.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Drizzt321

Post by Drizzt321 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 am

Jackass wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:46 pm
Just keep pounding energy drinks in your vehicle on gate road while waiting to get through greeters, by the time you find your spot you'll have enough saved up... mark out a small basketball court.
You're certainly living up to your name. Bravo! Where can I go to give you a shot or two of whiskey?

NateyPi wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 pm
@Drizzt321: Thx, all the items have a tarp so I'll probably lay that out and pin them down first to show intention of space use. I'm not bringing any generator nor fuel except small propane bottles which will be kept in storage tub until needed. All items battery powered.
Ah, thought you had a generator. Just concerned about your neighbors, cool. Well, like I said, just head over and talk to them! Get to know them, you might just end up opening up the areas between your camps in a few days and party :)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:28 am

NateyPi, it’s gonna be a fluid situation.

The place is vast, lots of streets, take your time looking.

Key is to talk to folks and make sure you like the vibe

And

Be flexible and adaptable cuz expectations can only spell trouble.

You may not find that “perfect” footprint so be ready to go with the flow.

See, I told you I’d hug you!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 am

Drizzt321 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 am
Jackass wrote:
You're certainly living up to your name. Bravo! Where can I go to give you a shot or two of whiskey?
I will accept shots anywhere in BRC, but you may be able to find me @ eplaya M&G on Wednesday.
I'll be sure and sharpen my pencil...

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Jackass wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 am
Drizzt321 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:27 am
Jackass wrote:
I will accept shots anywhere in BRC, but you may be able to find me @ eplaya M&G on Wednesday.
I'll be sure and sharpen my pencil...
Sure....
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:39 pm

I did say may be able to...

When you're looking to weasel your way into the neighboring camp's meal plans, you must play your cards correctly.

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:27 pm

NateyPi wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm
Hello All,

I 'm coming to burning man with a friend and we have 2 hexayurts, 1 (10'x20') carport and a cargo van which we're using to haul stuff and as storage during the event. We are not part of a camp. Let me know if I'm understanding the concept of where/how to camp correctly. We're planning to arrive at the gates around 10-11am on opening day Sunday.

We can camp anywhere in the city, within the named/timed street grid in any area that is not enclosed with blue flags?? Probably somewhere around Iron Giant to Leon since there would be more space available there? Would our arrival time mean that the city is already filled and we need to go to walk-in camping? Because we would really like the van near to keep our stuff.

Do we just find an open spot, map out how much space we'll need for the shade and yurts and plant camp flags to mark campsite boundaries, then start building??

Is it customary to take a little extra space beyond what you need (to give a generator buffer zone) or is it customary to keep your boundaries as tight as possible. Don't want to be the dick who takes enough land to farm nor the guy with his neighbor's generator pressed up against his yurt.

Is there a particular place / sector where you have to set up yurts or can you just set them up wherever you find space to camp. Not sure if there is like some specific dwelling type (tent only / rv only / yurt only) areas?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!
NateyPi
I would come to BRC with expectations of rights or entitlements.
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:00 pm

To hit gate by 10 - 11 am on Sunday, you'll want to get into line before dawn. There will be plenty of space open between I and L.

Personally, I'd ditch one of those yurts and bring a bike.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:25 am

They should already know who you are when you address them, and if not, remind them that they should.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DerbyDave 18 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm

I agree with what one of the other posters said. If it's only two people, two yurts seems excessive. Drop one and it will be less you have to transport and put up.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”