RV Rental budget for 7 days

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
maLka
Burning Since: 2019

RV Rental budget for 7 days

Post by maLka » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi folks,

I'm reading a lot in this forum but also in the internet about the RV tips/advice do's and don'ts and when it comes to renting rv's for BM I go blackout.

I'm coming from Barcelona for this next year (im virgin)and I want to ensure that I book the best price possible/quality/reliable service for RV rental.

I'm also virgin to RV's but I'm not afraid to drive them. Driving tips also appreciated. I have rented few cars in the US so I'm used to the local traffic rules.

So i'd like to know best advices when renting a RV in the US (Paperwork, best RV rental company/particular choice, insurance, average rates, average budgets and anything handy before renting one)

I'm aware of all the previous measures I have to perform before heading to the Playa with my RV, but i'm still a bit clueless about the prebooking stuff, etc.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

pappachuck
Burning Since: 2023

Re: RV Rental budget for 7 days

Post by pappachuck » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:25 am

Last year providers:
https://burningman.org/event/camps/deli ... providers/

My idea is to get a motorhome class C in another state and drive my way there. It is cheaper, specially if the owner thinks you are not going to Burning Man.

Oregon, California, Idaho. The plus you get to know new places in the US on the way there.

Equipment you can rent from construction and big equipment rentals: Atlas Copco, CAT, United Rentals, Sunbelt, Hertz. The best deals you get from companies specialized in mining and construction since their equipment is for badass use and they offer quite good coverage, they are also everywhere and has a customer support 24/7.

I believe one thing that nobody thinks but might be very useful is a compressor. It helps to clean the dust, water + playa dust = nightmare.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am

A word of caution: I used to rent RVs and swore we wouldn't take them to TTITD. Cleaned it thoroughly, even shampooed the carpeting. When we went to return it, the lady said "I know you've been to Burning Man." We denied it of course, saying we had been at a gay rodeo in Yerington, Nevada. Then she produced the GPS data (we had no idea they had chipped their RVs) proving that we were a bunch of liars. And they never rented to us again. And they charged us an additional fee (almost $1000) as we had signed a waiver promising not to do precisely what we did. A word to the wise.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am

Yeah, Karma’s a Bitch!

Why the fuck anyone would post about their intent to scam defraud and lie ...

Fucking priceless.

If you are so delicate that you must have a rental RV, go to any of the vendors that DO let their gear do to BM and pay the premium.

Don’t fucking lie.

Little Wing
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Slutgarden

Post by Little Wing » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I take the safe bet and rent from Cruise America - this year will be my forth time renting a Class C from them. They know all about Burning Man and therefore charge an event fee, which is completely reasonable considering what they need to do to service the vehicle properly afterwards (new filters, cleaning underbody, etc.). The rental includes 24/7 road service in case of engine, tire, lock out issues (expect inside Black Rock City of course).

The last three rentals I've returned clean enough to get back the full $500 deposit. We just did the basic vinegar/water solution cleaning on interior and full exterior at car wash. Easy, but takes a few hours. They love this as it shows respect for their property and gives a good impression of Burners as renters :-).

Having said that, the RV's are uninspired as far as décor and just have the basics in functionality, but that's all I need in the desert. It isn't luxury, and that's fine with me. They handle well and are easy to drive.

Regarding budget, be sure to consider per hour generator fees, estimate your mileage to get a sense of fuel expense, and factor in on-playa sewer and water services. Also be sure to have a couple sturdy low profile buckets in case of any drainage and a gas container in case you need to transport/fill fuel on playa.

Hope this helps and have a great first burn-
Little Wing

pappachuck
Burning Since: 2023

Post by pappachuck » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 am

Dr. Pyro story is priceless. hahahahaha
All of them chip their RV and it is so easy to jam, or access the data, or alter the data. Very illegal btw, never do it.

Anyway, it is always better to tell the truth, and there are lots of options from dealers to private owners. I am doing searches almost every day. Some, limit the use of generator and might be cheaper to rent your own generator.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:53 am

Or where you promise not to take it to BRC, but do, and they show up and confiscicate it on the spot, toss your stuff out on the playa and you're out the whole fee, plus cleaning fees, plus service fees, plus the recovery fees.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 am

How would they get in to do that?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”