gay area ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
keith

gay area ?

Post by keith » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:12 pm

HI, my name is keith , this is going 2 be my first trip 2 bm. I along with my 2 boyfriends are taking our motorhome and want 2 find out if there is a gay area and how 2 get a spot in that area for our R.V. , also i was wondering if people bring things like bbq and outdoor seating ,and last do u bring your own party substances and is it available there. we r counting down the days and cant wait to go! one more question i thought of bringing a big freezer and passing out popsickles as gifts , does that seem strange or would it be acceptable. thank you for any replies keith

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:27 pm

Keith-
Welcome to the board. I'll jump in before people get snarky- you best read up on your survival guide (http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/) & the first-timers guide (http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/) You'll find most of your general questions there.

Basically- you and your friends must bring absolutely everything you want or need out there, except the porta-potties. That means food, booze, power, shade- everything. The popsicles sound great- but are you bringing a generator (with all the fuel you'll need) to power the freezer?

As for the gay area- look for Avalon Synapse Station- http://www.noeboys.net/avalon/default.htm. Multiple gay & queer-friendly camps in one area. Try & join one of their groups, or just find out where their camps will be and camp near them. I'm not part of them, so I can't really give you more info on 'em, other then the fact that all of the people from there I've talked to are extremely nice.

oh- and have fun out there.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:02 am

welcome!

I understand the urge to be in an area of people with similar interests & yet in my own selfish way I love the rainbow of people (excuse the pun) that are my neighbors. I love that all the mad max, hippy, gay, raver, hillbilly, hipster, eurotrash, suburbanite mommies, swingers (oh sorry, polyamorists . . .) - we all co exist in a way that doesn't happen quite like any other place on earth. So this is my plea to you not deny my poor non-gay self your neighborly presence. but then - do what you're comfortable with & if this is your first time . . . then a bit of security blanket may be in order.

RV's - they are very tempting to stay in when weather is bad & can make you sometimes miss the most fabulous moments of chaos & lucky meeting & happenings when all hell breaks loose - anything you can do to open up your space to be more welcoming to your neighbors is great - sometimes sitting at the front of your camp & watching the world go by is just perfect - you may want to create an outdoor space that you can welcome passer's by into.

party substances - touchy subject. my advice : do not get them there even if you find them. i won't go into the horror stories. be careful with aware of anything consume - though drinks have been drugged - sadly i think its more sleazy guys trying to drug girls and its pretty rare. there are cops. public show of such things is not tolerated.

freezer / popcicles - they are great especially if its a hot year - but who knows?! - some people use tricky dry ice methods. if you do use a generator be ready to baffle the noise & be aware of where you place the genie in relation to your neighbors.

generator & RV genie noise is an issue & you should try to communicate with you neighbors & be kind to them. I had RV neighbors who were older & would fire up their genie at 7am every morning to make coffee. It was a rattle-y one too & it's exhaust was 12 ft from our tents. It sucked. With some help from us they were able to make a sound baffle with some furniture pads & wood we had - but it was tricky. If you can plan ahead & be sensitive to your non-rv neighbors - that would be great. the genie needs air & you don't want to create a fire hazard - but baffling your genie is considered common courtesy & will make you your neighbor's friend even if it doesn't work perfectly - but at least you tried.

where ever you end up will be the place you should be.

good luck & try to sleep once in a while . . .

k/pets.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:10 am

We've brought our propane grill and it was wonderful, but we'll never get the playa dust off of it. If you bring charcoal be sure to bring a covered pail to haul out the ashes.

We also bring a handcrank snowcone machine, so your idea of popsicles is spot on! Frozen treats are lovely in the desert if you can prevent a meltdown.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:52 pm

keith Welcome, Hey ask alot of questions and read alot on this board and the burning man guide. We didn't ask enough our first year. We missed a lot.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

PetsUntilEaten

Post by PetsUntilEaten » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:09 pm

unjonharley wrote:We missed a lot.
how do you see & do even a quarter of it?

i ran, dance & ride all over trying to see every corner for 7-9 days and i still see pictures of large structures & happenings that i missed entirely.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:15 pm

I have dreams about being on the playa on Monday and realizing I haven't left camp the entire time.

I missed the frickin' Temple of Gravity!!!! How did I do that?!

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 pm

PetsUntilEaten wrote:
unjonharley wrote:We missed a lot.
how do you see & do even a quarter of it?

i ran, dance & ride all over trying to see every corner for 7-9 days and i still see pictures of large structures & happenings that i missed entirely.

~
This year I'm going to force my ass out of bed early each day. Go to the open playa. Then rest. Go to some theme camps. Then rest. Have a good nite run. Then rest amen.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:51 am

AntiM wrote: I missed the frickin' Temple of Gravity!!!! How did I do that?!
Me too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 am

Hi Keith,

I'd just like to take a moment to comment on the freezing of popsicles on the playa. You mentioned an RV and I'll assume it's somewhat modern (70's through present).

Most RV refrigerators will run on AC, DC or Propane. Mine is a two way fridge meaning that it can run off AC or propane. I ran mine off propane for the entire event and it barely put a dent in the propane tank. While driving and running the RV generator (for Air Conditioning) I would switch it to run off AC. AC will get you a cooler fridge/freezer but needs power.

I kept half of my otter pops in a dry ice cooler (which lasted 5 days) and the other half in the freezer. The freezer pops would occasionally get melty in the heat of the day when the freezer couldn't keep up but the dry ice pops remained rock hard and deeply frozen.

It's important not to open either a dry ice cooler or fridge/freezer unless you have to. Opening them even for a moment during the day lets in 90(something) degree heat that then has to be cooled. Keep drinks and other "often needed" items in a separate cooler and buy ice.

BTW: I'm not sure that there's much separation of sexual orientations on the playa. We have plenty of gay people in our village but it's certainly not a "gay camp". We're just a big family, gay, breeder and everything in between welcomed. Though I can totally understand why you would not want to camp near Homophobe camp.

S3

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:11 am

Happiness and Gayety all permitted in all areas of BRC.

Voluntary misery is available at ApokoliptiKa on request.

Beware of EviLLe Forces wherever you go.

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 am

OOOhhhh - Gay Area!

I thought he said "Gray Area" and I was gonna suggest he camp in an evaporation pond.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:11 pm

That suggestion is all wet.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:52 pm

You only say that because you are loaded to the gills.

affinity

polyamory vs. swinging

Post by affinity » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Actually there is a difference between polyamory. Polyamory implies loving more than one person, swining usually has a more casual component...

just thought I would clarify

spoteditor

Astro Pups

Post by spoteditor » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:47 am

You should definately check out the Astro Pups.

Here is a schedule of events. Oh and don't forget the Saturday Night Gay Club, more like happy hour by playa standards, 8pm-11pm, complete with the Astro Pups signature 'bare your bone' competition.

check out the latest at www.astropups.com/playa

There is also a puppy play pen (large 'private' geo dome), for some big puppy fun.

TUESDAY: Afternoon Tea
Starts at 2 pm

Salaam and Shalom! Please join Stephen and the AstroPups for a Middle-eastern style tea reception. Tea and light refreshments will be provided.

Bring a drinking vessel with you and join us to escape the heat of the day for some desert hospitality. Guests in costumes that explore the theme are especially welcome.

WEDNESDAY: Hot Bod Libido Wrestling
Starts at 4 pm

Here's your chance to let your psyche's inner demon loose! Wrestle Freestyle, Greco-Roman, Submission, Pro-fantasy, and No Holds Barred fighting at the AstroPups Camp. Athletic men, women, hetero, gay, bisexual, and transgendered are welcome. Single fighters will be paired by experience, weight, and style of fighting. Co-ed matches are encouraged! The last hour will be open for nude oil wrestling.

Bring a towel, we'll bring the oil. Get ready for some hot, sweaty, muscled action! Participants accept the inherent risks (and pleasures) of full body-to-body wrestling action. No cameras without express permission.

WEDNESDAY: Male Tantric Masturbation
Starts at 6 pm

Cultivating a Sexual Charge, Sexual Attraction, & Higher Sexual Sensations

Upgrade and enhance your self pleasuring skills in the presence of other men. See a demonstration on how to create full body orgasms, and then practice on yourself. This is a nude solo activity and open to all men, gay, straight, bisexual, and others. Austino, a tantric therarpist, couples intimacy coach, & erotic coach, will lead you through the exercises.

Limited space, so come early. At the Puppy Playpen in the AstroPups Psychedelicatessen.

Also available: individual tantric sex coaching with Austino — available for singles & couples m/m & m/f. By appointment only through Austino at the AstroPups. See http://www.austino.com for more information.

WEDNESDAY: Puppy Dreams
Starts at 8 pm

What do Puppies Dream? Come join the AstroPups at our Psychedelicatessen and get in touch with your inner Puppy. Those who truly dream as Puppies will be given Pocket Puppy Dream Catchers to explore not only their dreams, but all of the Puppies that dream on the playa. Our AstroPups Labs Psychoanalysts will interpret your dreams and make sure that you have a Therapy Dog to remedy whatever ails your Puppy Psyche.

THURSDAY: Best in Show
Starts at 4 pm

The Best In Show is right here in Black Rock City! Come to our Best In Show Fashion Show and walk your dog (or yourself!) around the ring.

Our panel of Judges will be looking for the Best Use of Fun Fur, Best Poise on the Runway, and Most Lickable. Forget the Westminster Kennel Club – the best dogs in the world are on the Playa!

FRIDAY: Male Tantric Masturbation
Starts at 6 pm

Cultivating a Sexual Charge, Sexual Attraction, & Higher Sexual Sensations

Upgrade and enhance your self pleasuring skills in the presence of other men. See a demonstration on how to create full body orgasms, and then practice on yourself. This is a nude solo activity and open to all men, gay, straight, bisexual, and others. Austino, a tantric therarpist, couples intimacy coach, & erotic coach, will lead you through the exercises.

Limited space, so come early. At the Puppy Playpen in the AstroPups Psychedelicatessen.

Also available: individual tantric sex coaching with Austino — available for singles & couples m/m & m/f. By appointment only through Austino at the AstroPups. See http://www.austino.com for more information.

FRIDAY: Psychedelic Puppy Lounge
Starts at 8 pm

Join the Pups at the hottest gay club on the playa – the Psychedelic Puppy Lounge! The AstroPups Psychedelicatessen will have the hottest guys on the playa, and we'll have contests to help weed out the pure breeds from the mutts. The winner of our "Bare Your Bone" contest will receive a special prize! Our therapists from the AstroPups Labs will be on hand to delve deep into your psyche to find your inner Puppy. We'll have movies and music to drive the demons from your soul, and for those of you that have troublesome inner demons, we'll have "Inner Demon Wrestling". Come join us for an event that will surely be talked about for years to come!

SATURDAY: Puppy Heaven
Starts at 2 pm

It's been a rough week on the playa? Come visit the AstroPups and get your tummy rubbed in Puppy Heaven. The Psychedelicatessen will be open for all playa-weary travelers ready dream away those dusty trails. Our Scientists from the AstroPups Labs will be on hand to check you over and prescribe the right medicine to get you ready for the night ahead. All Dream Catchers will be returning with the dreams that they caught over the week, and sharing their stories with everyone. Special cool drinks and chill treats will be available for all dogs that come our way.

happematt

Post by happematt » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Why dont you fags just stay home and stick those otter pops up your panzy little ass's.

Just kidding, come and me marry. Camp near me.

I am gay too but have no idea where the gay area is. I just thought that everyone at BM was gay.

What ever you do....HAVE FUN! Sorry for posting a useless reply. I am just too fucking excited.
I'm not sick silly, i have disco fever.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:53 pm

swining usually has a more casual component...
Not for those of us who grew up on farms.

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:03 pm

Just ask Ned Beatty!

omtaiyoqi

Post by omtaiyoqi » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:52 am

hey
Also check out http://www.ascensiontribe.com/ on the playa. They have a lot of queer activities and camping space.

Tom
[email protected] also [email protected]

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:08 am

happematt wrote:Why dont you fags just stay home and stick those otter pops up your panzy little ass's..
I've tried sticking otter pops up my ass but I find I still prefer penises. Weird!

I'll marry you if my boyfriend can be our maid of honor.
I love monkeys and boys but especially monkey-boys

happematt

Post by happematt » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:33 pm

OMG…LOL

Did I just show my blonde roots while coming down off a coffee buzz or what?

Sawie.

Can I put a request in for strawberry?
I'm not sick silly, i have disco fever.

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:29 am

safetythird wrote:Though I can totally understand why you would not want to camp near Homophobe camp.

S3
Does anyone know where they will be camped this year? I heard around 3:30 and Bipolar

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:28 am

So many parties for hot gay boys...what's a hot lesbian to do?
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

geekster

Post by geekster » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:34 am

Not for those of us who grew up on farms.
There's a camp for THAT?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

spoteditor

Post by spoteditor » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:00 am

The Avalon Synapse Station (with a bunch of queer camps, including the ledgendary Astro Pups) are located at 7:30 AND CATHARSIS. Not sure where Jiffy Lube (probably the most out there hetro, bi, gay, everyone including pets, sex orientated camp) is.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:47 pm

OK, so, where's the straight area? A map would be helpful. Thanks!

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 pm

And to think I thought Jiffy Lube was all there was. But let me guess, all of the cool things like Astro Pups and the like cater to twinks? Or are these places open to bears, cubs and other affiliations?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:And to think I thought Jiffy Lube was all there was. But let me guess, all of the cool things like Astro Pups and the like cater to twinks? Or are these places open to bears, cubs and other affiliations?
look at the Astropups website. Lots of cute, not twinks. A couple twink-ish maybe.....

Avalon SS and it's affiliate camps are diverse in the extreme- gay straight omnivorous boys girls men women twinks bears dykes trannies etc......

I'm not affiliated with them, I just have a lot of fun around there.....
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

astropups

AstroPups Welcome All.

Post by astropups » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:23 am

The AstroPups welcome everyone to our events. Us Pups are between 25 and 55 years old, and we have bears, twinks, and everything in between. What we have in common is that we love to sniff butts. 'Nuff said? :-)

Our events are listed above and on our web site (http://www.astropups.com/playa), but stop by any time you are wandering through. If someone's there, we'll be glad to welcome you into our Psychedelicatessen.

Come by on Wednesday night for our "Puppy Dreams" party, and get yourself analyzed by our trained experts. Maybe you need a therapy dog? We'll have one ready for you.

We're having a "Bare Your Bone" contest at our party on Friday night. If anyone wants to share before hand, we have Pups that will make sure you are properly motivated for the contect.

As Eric stated, the Avalon Synapse Station (ASS) is a wonderfully diverse group - gay, straight, bi, and a few glorious drag queens thrown in for good measure. We have men and women from all over the world. We've been building a community on the playa for the past 4 years, and each year we get bigger, better, and more exciting. Here are the other camps in ASS:

Camp Stella - offering a sober respite amidst the hyper-excited playa
Fairyland - Making poi and fairy wings to sparkle your journey
Quioxte's Cabaret - performances fit for the man of La Mancha
Temple of Poi - bringing fire performances in camp and around the playa
Vietnamese Iced Coffee Camp - fueling your caffiene needs every afternoon

So come and see the ASS on the corner of 7:30 and Catharsis. We're looking forward to LICKING you! xodawggie.
Dr. Dawggie of the AstroPups
http://www.astropups.com/

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”