Opinions on these stakes please.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Tumbleweed

Opinions on these stakes please.

Post by Tumbleweed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:06 pm

I found these large plastic stakes at the hardware store the other day. (Please click link below for picture). I would like to use them as they are less hazardous than rebar and have a nice loop and hook for guylines. They are 15" long with a 2" "diameter" at the top.

My shade structure will be relatively small, based on an 10'x8'x6'8" (LxWxH) PVC frame. The frame itself will be secured by rebar, lashed to the upright posts and out of harms way.

I would like to use the stakes to secure the ends of two 8'x10' shade nets, which will make up the two sides. The nets will be attached at one end to the top of the PVC frame, run diagonally to the ground, then secured with 3 of these stakes (along each 10' length, so approximately every 3 feet) pounded all the way into the ground.

Since these are not huge nets, and because wind can filter through them, I am hoping these stakes will hold them. I figure I can bring some extra 2' lengths of rebar in case there is a problem with these.

Opinions? Has anyone used these before?

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/6026/spike0yd.jpg

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:15 pm

Given what you describe i'd say they'll do OK. Still, I'd consider augmenting the main four corners of your shelter with rebar.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:25 pm

[quote="Badger"]Given what you describe i'd say they'll do OK. Still, I'd consider augmenting the main four corners of your shelter with rebar.[/quote]
Good idea. As a precaution, I will bring the extra rebar plus lots of extra rope to really tie the thing down if need be.

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:32 pm

D'oh, sorry about that. My bbcode is enabled now.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:28 pm

It's hard to tell what they're made from, but if they're the plastic typical tent stakes are made from, they might bend and be useful only once. Also, remember to put them in at an angle, roughly perpendicular to the angle of your guy lines.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:31 am

I've picked those up at Menards a number of times....The plastic's denser than regular (crap) plastic-tent-stake-plastic. Ditto on angling them. They come in several lengths, including some real blockbusters longer than those in the picture....Upgrading to longer might be better. A piece of rebar to go through the hole might help when it gets to yanktime.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:53 am

Yeah, these were the longest lengths available at the store I went to, but they are made in 20" and 30" lengths as well.

http://www.ltlhomeproducts.com/outdoor_ ... anchor.htm

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:56 am

By the way, from the illustration on the website, it looks like the plastic is molded around a metal spike, though I'm not sure about that.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 am

It's possible that there's a metal core in there....But I didn't notice it in my examination. They're heavyduty enough that I wonder if that'd be necessary. Wonder how they stand up to a few stout smacks with a big hammer? The top looks like there's some mushrooming potential...Dangit, more stuff for me to investigate!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:49 am

The installation instructions on the website say to drive them in with a sledge hammer, so they must be able to handle it.

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:53 am

Aha...from the website.
The high-impact TuffSpike™ system uses UV-protected vinyl with heavy gauge steel core that withstands the elements.
And here's the illustration:

http://www.ltlhomeproducts.com/outdoor_ ... pikes2.gif

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:56 am

Bravo! Well done. Might pick up a couple to secure my tractor-shelter now!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:03 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how they do on the playa. The only thing is, they are more expensive than rebar. But I just hate the idea of exposed metal spikes all around my camp...

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:34 pm

Buy two 2' pieces of pipe and use them to bend the rebar like a candy cane. A 2' piece of rebar with a bend at the top that allows both ends to stick into the ground works pretty good as a tie down/anchor.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:53 pm

But I just hate the idea of exposed metal spikes all around my camp...
Louise and I use rebar. We put solar lamps on the rebar which we use on our tent, and we put 6-foot PVC on other rebar. The lamps and PVC cover the sharp mushrooms and also help people see and not trip over the stake regardless of what it's made of. Barefoot people still can break a toe on plastic stakes that either aren't driven into the playa surface or covered/highlighted/protected in some way. (We use 6-ft PVC because people actually see it at eye-level.)

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:24 am

just noting, these work pretty well.

http://store.yahoo.com/deerbusterscom/dee-8032.html

they work good because of the candy cane top.

if the tops are 90-degree angles, they will ping around, bite your leg, and are nearly impossible to pound. avoid those.

the rebar stakes with the small loops welded to them suck too, as if you miss the stake on a down stroke and ping the loop, it comes off. (not always, but a lot of times)
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:51 pm

I've used bungee cord with plastic adjustable hooks, bought by the foot at the hardware store, to great success. The cabin tent I was using would then wobble in the wind, but the lines wouldn't pull the grommets out from the strain. The tent survived the BM 99 winds beautifully.

Remember to open all windows and doors before a bad windstorm, as the pressure could surely rip up your tent. This will create some internal dusting, and I laid a sheet over my bedding, so that when it was time to snooze, I'd pull the sheet carefully back and climb in. Trying to hermetically seal one's tent from dust is not only futile, but potentially destructive. Too many people wind up with a tent that's shredded after the storm.

Put everything heavy at the corners of the tent on the inside to reinforce the walls. Use rebar that's bent in the way described above. You can save a lot of money by just using rebar, and they've been throughly field tested.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:50 am

Or if it looks like a real blower, knock your tent down and throw a water jug or other ballast on it.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”