SCH 40 PVC as an alternative to EMT?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
HughMungus

SCH 40 PVC as an alternative to EMT?

Post by HughMungus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:38 pm

Is it viable to use SCH 40 PVC as an alternative to EMT for constructing a shade structure? I really haven't been to the hardware store to check it out and even if I did go and it looked stiff enough I'd be asking the same question. The structure would be no more than 4 verticals connected with metal canopy fittings covered by a tarp.

TIA

phil

Post by phil » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:54 pm

I would say no. It's too flimsy, too flexible, and too prone to breakage.

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:30 pm

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:28 am

Check this out!
I especially liked the photo at the bottom of the page. :->

My understanding of the original query (which may be wrong) is that the PVC would be used in place of EMT in a square shade where the EMT was the structural component. ("Stiff enough" "4 verticals connected with metal canopy fittings") My answer remains, no, Schedule 40 PVC is too flimsy.

Louise and I tried 6-inch diameter PVC as a rectangular frame for tarp and sidewalls, with velcro tape to hold the tarp on instead of bungee cords (I thought I was a genius), but even the 6-inch stuff was too flexible, too brittle, too flimsy in our backyard, so we never took it to the playa.

Other plastics may do, though. I haven't tried Pulltruded G-10, but it has been suggested:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/pulltrude.html

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:03 pm

phil wrote:6-inch diameter PVC
Funny you should mention that as there's some in a trash pile near where I live (they're installing traffic cams on the highway) and I was thinking the same thing. Cool, now I don't have to waste my time with that, either. :D

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:37 am

I use sections of gray plastic electrical conduit as supports for shade on the stairway/slide of the Snowman- It bends easily and is useful for non-critical structures. Hard to break, but consequently it has a memory and likes to stay bent into particular curves. Features a handy built-in coupler!
Robotland's Alter Ego

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:38 pm

I was going to use 4" PVC or ABS as the ridge pole of my new shade construct this year but was also unimpressed with the floppy feel of the 10' lengths when I investigated. Was going to go with 2" EMT instead but didn't like having to cut and splice for my 8' sections and loose that 2' piece (stuff is pricey no?). Then I happened to see a rack of that chain-link fencing hardware with its various rails and poles...and there are 8'
1 7/8" dia standard poles of galvanized pipe almost like EMT with splices that can be made from a top rail pipe just the right diameter to slide inside. Bingo! So I bought some this morning.
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:39 am

That chainlink fence gear also has GREAT aluminum fittings and endcaps. Very useful- The bottoms of Malibu lights fit PERFECTLY into the endcaps with the little tab and holes, which then get bolted to 3/4" conduit clamps making clamp-on-the-dome solar lighting! The large rounded encaps make great lamp parts or stake covers. Shiny. Aluminum. Shiny.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”