Comfortably camping

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Re: Comfortably camping

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:29 pm

Not sure how you could ever know more by actually attending once...
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:03 am

EdgarCampbell wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 pm
Most folks in finding they eat a exceptional Meals less out there. Additionally, when one is within the middle of probably the most powerful, intellect-blowing place on the planet, who wishes to spend time cooking problematic ingredients?
Prepare your favorite meals, seal them in food saver bags & freeze them. Take them out and let them thaw ahead of time. Heat up some water & enjoy an awesome meal.

Nothing to it. One year I had homemade quinoa salad midweek for lunch & it tasted like I had just made it. It was awesome.

Eating well in the dust is easy and you don't need to do anything more than heat up some H2O. (Well & plan ahead a little bit).
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:25 am

pappachuck wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:22 pm
I believe the whole argument is about this point:
The problem arises when some of those people aren't really involved in actively planning and building the camp, and escalates further if that means their biggest contribution to the camp is money. What you've described sounds a lot like the latter. It doesn't really matter that you don't plan on making a profit - that's nice, but not the biggest issue.

While it might seem like an awesome gift to you, helping out people from far away, what actually happens is that those people you think you are helping get *less* out of the experience than they would if they had to figure it all out on their own, or at least had to put in some sweat equity with the camp beforehand. It also weakens the core ethic of the city, because people who don't contribute to building their own camp and figuring out their own meals tend to also be a lot less likely to contribute to the city in meaningful ways. We all wind up poorer for it.
We have to understand that there are different types of people with different skills, backgrounds, and experience. We are all unique and gifted with life. So why not be inclusive and understand that some people might even be a disaster at camping and really good at many other things?? Their lack of self-reliance in some aspects might be a danger for others, and this goes for more than 1% of BRC population.

My idea is sustained by some BM principles:
  • Radical Inclusion - we should include people and helping them to come is actually that;
  • Radical Self-reliance - everyone has a different way to contribute within their inner resources providing a safe and accessible way to go to the festival does not mean it is disrupting their self-reliance process;
  • Radical Self-expression - we just by being alive is a gift (even annoying people kkkk) so if you are coming you will be self-expressing yourself either way;
  • Communal Effort - in order to a camp work in a challenging place such as Black Rock desert there has to be collaboration from money to rent equipment until buying the list of equipment and helping with the art;
  • Immediacy - everybody will overcome a barrier of their own just by getting there, what might be small for you might be huge for someone else.
Also from BMORG:
https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... tionships/
With any organized group, people tend to fall into their natural roles. If you have a large group, chances are you will have somebody who becomes Mama, Chief Construction Foreman, Organizer of Outings or Head Chef, to name a few. It’s good, though, to make sure everybody in your group has similar goals, and that they will pull their weight equally.

Just because some entity is organizing the infra-structure and the group share the overall cost, does not mean they will not contribute.
Honestly, I don’t wanna go because it’s cool. I don’t even think of it as cool. It is hot and unconfortable harsh conditions. It's just about the unique sublime moments you have that you know will never happen anywhere else and will never happen again. This really motivates me
"amazing" level of freedom at Burning Man is a major draw for participants, who adopt playa names, wear costumes and take on roles they might never consider in the outside world.
People know what they are getting into and will participate in their way. I do not want to create a Hotel. I simply wish I could have a group or entity capable of offering a nice infra structure to setup a nice camp open to everybody with almost no rules and 100% transparent in the costs and the plan.

The idea is especially to prevent this from happening:
https://www.ems1.com/mass-gathering/art ... rning-Man/
In 2013
This year, they treated 3,031 people—an average of 433 a day—for problems such as dehydration, burns, eye and urinary tract infections, broken bones and gashes, as well as mishaps more specific to the festival: a twisted ankle from jousting, facial burns from fire blowing.
Getting hurt at Black Rock desert can be really bad, and following the data from the RAMPART Urgent care we know that unfortunately thousands get hurt. It can happen, dehydration, your body giving up can easily happen. You can fall from your bike, from a Vehicle, or simply hurt yourself at a bad placed tent. So why not help people the best we can to setup a nice camp and prevent this.

https://burningman.org/culture/history/ ... epartment/

Even though I disagree that creating a non-profit (there are legal advantages) for organizing a nice camp infra structure is bad. I will be coming for real this or next year and will have a better understanding of what the event actually is and is not, what the challenges really are.

I just wanted to state that we could work better together to reduce the number of hurt people during the Festival.
TLDR

Who the fuck cloned Sparr?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:03 pm

I think you should save your money up and sponsor some rando yourself and see how it goes. Report back on your success.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:29 am

“sponsor some rando”

3BEF34CA-1F0C-4894-BE39-85FA2DF15DDB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:33 am

Thank goodness, it’s page 2. :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 am

pappachuck wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Well, It is more likely to take about 8 hours setup, and 12 hours breaking down
I wish you all the luck ..

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:39 am

pappachuck wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:22 pm

We have to understand that there are different types of people with different skills, backgrounds, and experience. We are all unique and gifted with life. So why not be inclusive and understand that some people might even be a disaster at camping and really good at many other things?? Their lack of self-reliance in some aspects might be a danger for others, and this goes for more than 1% of BRC population.

My idea is sustained by some BM principles:
  • Radical Inclusion - we should include people and helping them to come is actually that;
  • Radical Self-reliance - everyone has a different way to contribute within their inner resources providing a safe and accessible way to go to the festival does not mean it is disrupting their self-reliance process;
  • Radical Self-expression - we just by being alive is a gift (even annoying people kkkk) so if you are coming you will be self-expressing yourself either way;
  • Communal Effort - in order to a camp work in a challenging place such as Black Rock desert there has to be collaboration from money to rent equipment until buying the list of equipment and helping with the art;
  • Immediacy - everybody will overcome a barrier of their own just by getting there, what might be small for you might be huge for someone else.
This is the same problem religion has: subjective and highly arguable interpretations of what The Book says.
How the fuck is having someone else handle your logistics “radical self reliance”? That’s enough spin to get you dizzy.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:02 am

Papa Bear +100.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

pappachuck
Burning Since: 2023

Post by pappachuck » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Everybody knows that in any theme camp there are lots of different roles. Not everybody does the logistics. There are also lots of different levels of skills. The only thing everybody really does together is sharing the expenses and constructing the camp.
It is not self reliance if you pay a company to build your camp and hire a crew or employees. Otherwise, it is group work and fits perfectly on community work, gathering people together towards a common goal.

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 am

The only thing everybody really does together is sharing the expenses and constructing the camp.
You couldn't be more wrong about this.
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:57 am

I'm moving this thread over to the Building Camps & Villages board, since that appears to be a better fit about general camp planning.

That said, what you're describing is largely the whole concept of organizing a camp at Burning Man. Connect with some like-minded individuals who want to share resources and provide some level of comfort (and possibly friendship).

From there, Burning Man's "choose your own adventure" blank canvas gives you quite a bit of freedom (though you do want to be mindful of the principles and heed the rules when it comes to things like turnkey camping). Want to go crazy with amenities and burn responsibly in relative comfort? Go ahead, give that a shot. Want to go big on art, or gifting, or some kind of performance? Same deal. Use the internet or have face-to-face meetups, do whatever you need to plan your camp. If your plans are ambitious and you think your group may meet the criteria for theme camp or village placement, then get your plans together and fill out the placement questionnaire. Once you do have your plans together, feel free to post a thread about your camp (with the camp name in the thread title) in the 2019 Camps & Villages board. It can either be to recruit members, or simply to announce your camp's intentions and to invite people to come visit.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”