Small Theme Camp looking for a Village to join

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
Superposition
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Super-luminous

Small Theme Camp looking for a Village to join

Post by Superposition » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 am

This is our groups first time preparing a theme camp but we have many members who have been burning for years.

We have a group of around 15 people and we want to submit a theme camp within a village.

Our camp name is Super-Luminous!

We are planning a giant checkerboard dancefloor with LED cube seats that people can sit on and play checkers with real people moving the pieces they sit on.

24 Multi Colored Seats
Seats.png
Group Camp.png

The Privacy wall can be opened and closed to allow bar/food service while also allowing for some privacy in the early hours.

We also have planned extensive LED lighting and Solar Power charging.

Since we are not big enough for a Theme Camp or Village we would need to join another (Lighting themed ideally) theme camp village.

We are based in the San Francisco Bay Area and ready to Burn!

Thanks
Superposition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Small Theme Camp looking for a Village to join

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:49 am

You are most certainly big enough to be your own theme camp, that only takes three people. As far as villages go, how do you feel about Hushville?

Superposition

Post by Superposition » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks for the reply AnyiM. I checked for info on hushville but there is nothing on their website.

https://www.hushville.org

Are you a part of hushville or have a link to more info maybe?

I read on the website you need 300-400 for a theme camp and 38-50 people for a village.

"Theme Camps are home to groups of anywhere from three to 400 people. There are also Villages, which are groups of two or more Theme Camps containing a minimum of 38 to 50 people."
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=97448#preview

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Right.

So, with your 15-20 people you ARE a Theme Camp.

Y'all don't need a village.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm

3 to 400 does not mean 300 to 400, it means you can have a theme camp with only three people.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:34 pm

What they said... You are a theme camp. Our theme camp is 4 or 5 people. We work our butts off to do events and look good while doing it. Be your own camp. The hardest part of filling out the theme camp application is the layout of your camp. Go back to the theme camp instructions and see what size plot they recommend for your population. (We get the smallest one which is 50 by 50 feet.) Take a look at this https://www.facebook.com/groups/Burning ... ent_follow Then write out what your camp intends to do. Save it in a document on your computer. Revise it. The larger the camp, the more that is expected of you. You can message me with silly questions. Go for it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Your "storefront" looks o.k. to me in general, but I hope others will comment.

You're not coming hat in hand to fit within a village, so don't cramp it, but do stay contained.

My gut feel is:
o more space around your bike racks, so bikes aren't sticking out onto the street,
o more space for bikes to move in/out,
o space for observers to stand, with bikes moving in/out not disrupting the game nor observers,
o more space between your public space and your private space - buffer,
o private space for camp bikes, so their coming/going isn't mixing with the public bike space?,
o a place to easily stash the cubes within private space so it is obvious that you're "closed" at that time, and the cubes are secured from being damaged when your supervision is somewhat lower. Perhaps the truck should be on the side of your footprint with its back to the storefront for easy stashing of cubes?
o somewhat more footprint space, between tents (guy lines) and cars.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:42 am

Superposition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm
...anywhere from three to 400 people. ...
I could lecture on the grammar of it, but....
No, wait... I gotta be me! :twisted:

Numbers below ten or twelve (varies by who you ask) are spelled out as words -- one, two, three, etc., never higher than twelve.
Numbers from 11 or 13 (depending on who you ask) are written as numerals -- 13, 14, 15, etc. ad infinitum.

So, this time, BM's website authors refrained from ambiguity! ;-)

By the way....
When you plan the shade for your chess board, you may want to keep in mind that sunlight arrives at an angle, and especially so in the highest heat of the afternoon.
And you never know beforehand how you will be located (even with placement, which is always tentative until you arrive), so the shade-arrangement should be flexible.

I wish I played chess. Best of luck!
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 am

Yeah, there's something funky going on with the site; it was hacked. Basically, we have three rules, leave no trace, no amplified music, and no generators, and preregistration is required. Interactive camps will be placed streetside by the village organizers. I did let the mayor know about your group, he says you sound like you'd be a good fit. I will PM his email address to you. I have been with Hushville since it began, although I did have a few years off here and there, staying with other villages. Hushville is a terrific community.
Superposition wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm
Thanks for the reply AnyiM. I checked for info on hushville but there is nothing on their website.

https://www.hushville.org

Are you a part of hushville or have a link to more info maybe?

I read on the website you need 300-400 for a theme camp and 38-50 people for a village.

"Theme Camps are home to groups of anywhere from three to 400 people. There are also Villages, which are groups of two or more Theme Camps containing a minimum of 38 to 50 people."
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=97448#preview

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:44 am

Hello! There aren't that many villages. If you go to the list of last year's theme camps on the BMORG website, they are easy to locate and reach out to the ones you think might match.

I doubt many villages are reading ePlaya to find camps to add.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Superposition

Post by Superposition » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Wow thank you so much for all the super advice! Really appreciate it!

The foot print of the layout is currently 20x20m but I think based on our number of people 30x30m makes more sense.

Here is the updated layout with your awesome feedback applied
Burning Man.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 pm

So, a few logistical thoughts/questions based on the new layout...

First, putting all the cars around the back perimeter sounds great in theory, but typically not everyone arrives and leaves at the same time. You'll need to account for that, and I'd encourage you to think about what happens if someone needs to leave earlier than planned for some reason (sickness, injury, death in the family, etc).

Second, what's your plan for graywater? If that's an evap pond in your layout, I'd be concerned that it may be too small for a camp that size. Beyond that, one issue with any shower/graywater system is protecting it from others who may not respect it. Hopefully your neighbors will be wonderful, but you never know for sure, and putting it on a corner means there's a chance as many as three other camps will border it (making it harder to monitor, and harder to figure out who to go talk to if there is a problem).

You might be better off moving that system closer to the middle and protecting it with that line of cars, or even moving a couple of those tents to the back and putting it on the back edge of the shared shade, so that it's more likely to be in the casual range of vision of whatever member of your camp is hanging out there. The sooner you can see someone messing with it, the quicker you can intervene.

Third, I'd recommend more bike racks up front, and keeping them back at least 5 feet from the front edge of camp. Right now it looks like you've got enough for people playing the games, but not spectators. And from experience, if people get interested and the racks are full, they tend to start layering them in closer to the road, so having a wider buffer there helps keep them from starting to sprawl out into the street.

Finally, I'm curious - what are you intending to use as movable privacy barriers? I'm having trouble envisioning a system that's effective, doesn't tend to blow down/away in the wind, and doesn't require a lot of work to shift the anchoring on every time you move it. And so my motivations are clear, if you've got an awesome solution for that, I may well steal it. :)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 pm

So if that layout is 60 feet across how do you fit 6 tents a car and a u-haul truck. Those would have to be some tiny tents. then there's the question of bike racks at the back of your camp. There is no way to get them out to the street. Tents have ropes and straps around them.

Those 5 cars across the back total 50 feet. Leaving room to open the doors takes up the whole 60 feet.

This is our 50 by 50 foot layout. 4 or 5 people.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token

Post by Token » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Hate to be the negative Nancy here, but this all smells of disaster.

Why don’t you all just do this in the ‘burbs the first year? Weed things out, figure the doers and coattail-riders?

The way y’all got things packed in ... I’d run screaming from the place.

15 people, big-ass-truck, 7 cars, 10 tents? All packed in like sardines? Lined up and behaving?

I have doubts.

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:35 am

Token wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:15 pm
Hate to be the negative Nancy here...
More like the Rational Ricky, I'd say. This plan will absolutely, um, evolve out there once it's implemented.

But that in itself seems kinda fun, kinda. Even if grows three heads and becomes a monster, you can still be like, "LOOK AT WHAT WE CREATED" and just let the wild rumpus play out. BURNING MAN
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

Superposition

Post by Superposition » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Here is what we submitted in the end based on the submissions process recommendations. We need to fit in 50x150ft since we have 12 people.
ECF2ADEA-9659-4477-A174-202F09FC07D4.png
We had a 3hr nightmare today in the main sale and only 2 of us managed to get 2 tickets each. So we’re 8 tickets short to build our theme camp.

We put a lot of work into the camp submission and planning and without more tickets we can’t build such a big camp... If anyone knows a way to prioritize a theme camp tickets in some way we would really appreciate it. If anyone has extra tickets drop me PM I’m in the Bay Area.

Thanks again for all your help with the submission
Last edited by Superposition on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superposition

Post by Superposition » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 pm
Finally, I'm curious - what are you intending to use as movable privacy barriers? I'm having trouble envisioning a system that's effective, doesn't tend to blow down/away in the wind, and doesn't require a lot of work to shift the anchoring on every time you move it. And so my motivations are clear, if you've got an awesome solution for that, I may well steal it. :)
Thinking of using these for the privacy to hold the material in place.

Fi-Shock P-30G Green Garden Post for Fence (25 Pack), 30"

Then this over it
https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/ale ... d=23697801

Cut a few > shaped holes in it and shouldn’t catch the wind fully

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Superposition wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Thinking of using these for the privacy to hold the material in place.

Fi-Shock P-30G Green Garden Post for Fence (25 Pack), 30"

Then this over it
https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/ale ... d=23697801
I must be missing something important. You're planning a two foot tall privacy wall?

Superposition

Post by Superposition » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry tried to find a link to the ones but obviously grabbed the wrong link.

The ones we plan on using are 6ft fake bamboo

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:37 pm

OP, your experienced burners know that a good tool to find villages is the high resolution map from last year. Not every village has a name village. https://bm-phoenix.s3.amazonaws.com/lar ... 300dpi.jpg

It looks like you are about 50x50, so you can see which villages fit you if you figure out the scale of the moop map, which is not hard.

Interactivity is especially encouraged in esplanade camps and the plazas.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”