D-I-Y Clamshell ??

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
krly
Burning Since: 2018

D-I-Y Clamshell ??

Post by krly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm

I know you can buy a carport from Costco but it appears most (?) folks use it "clam shell" style (see photo). Does anyone know if you could just buy conduit connectors and make your own ? Any ideas which connectors would be the correct ones ? And H-W-L meas. of legs/cross pieces ?
THANKS........
clamshell.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: D-I-Y Clamshell ??

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:30 pm

If you do a search for "canopy fittings," you will find many inexpensive suppliers, including in Yuma, AZ. It is not a hard welding job, but steel loves to be rusted by playa dust, so most steel on the playa is galvanized (or people use aluminum.) You could easily fab up almost anything with pipe scaffolding and fittings, commonly people use aluminum pipe for that and the fittings are galvanized. YMMV.

To angles, if you use the same angle fitting where your flat top transitions to your angled sides, on both sides, you will be fine. For instance, people in Yuma, AZ might use 120 degrees or 102 degrees (90 degrees would be plumb walls to a flat roof.

BTW, I remember old Costco carports as 4 side poles on each side, now it's 3, people with them, have they changed? It also looks like they are powder coated now rather than galvanized.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=77435 Scroll down a bit to the handmade drawing. It gives measurments. The picture you're showing is not a costco car port. It's made of all 5'7" pipes. The original plans call for 6'5" roof pipes. I had a lot of pieces so I made it entirely of the longer pipes.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Ratty wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:38 pm
I had a lot of pieces
OP, this is why many of us have clamshells. Not because we said, "hey let's get one", but because we said "hey, what should we do with these orphan parts?".
What kind of shade setup do you use now?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Joe, I thought it was because we lost the legs off of one side. I discovered it by accident while setting up. "Hey, I like it better this way. Put those legs back in the truck. We don't need em."
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”