Giving away my evaporation system - static evapotron

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
tommynnn
Burning Since: 2015

Giving away my evaporation system - static evapotron

Post by tommynnn » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Hey all-

I built this for my camp for the 2016 burn. It's designed to accelerate the rate of evaporation of your camp's gray water while staying compact and not taking up too much space. It worked well in 2016 but I haven't been back to BM since and don't know that I will anytime soon.

The way it works is this: you pour the gray water into the reservoir bucket at the top, and it flows through a system of PVC pipes and saturates 12 full-size custom sewed black bath towels that are hanging over a 4'x8' pond. These towels dry quickly because of the increased surface area, and anything that drips off evaporates from the pond below.

It was built mostly with reclaimed materials, and is constructed with bolts with the intention of being able to set up and take down multiple times easily without stripping the wood out. All the pieces are labeled, so it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to set up on the playa, but there's no guarantees you won't have to improvise a little when on site. You only really need a couple of wrenches to put the thing together. It took me about 1-2 hours to set it up alone once I arrived on the playa.

Rate of evaporation should be about 25+ gallons per day. There's 12 clean towels included. We had to wash them twice after the burn.

As you can see in the pictures, the whole system breaks down to be pretty small. There are a few pieces of wood that are 8' long, so that's the hardest part to move around.

I'm in SF, just north of Japantown, and need to get this out of my garage ASAP. I've also got some other BM stuff I need to get rid of as well. Send me a PM or send me a text if you can decrypt my number: (SF area code) 2 3 3 - five four five four
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”