Monkeyhut over shiftpod with aluminet

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
mtbean
Burning Since: 2005

Monkeyhut over shiftpod with aluminet

Post by mtbean » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi, i've looked through hundreds of archives and lots of this has been touched on, but i couldn't find any great conclusions.
Setting up a shiftpod2 this year under a monkeyhut. just me and my 8yo daughter so ease and DIY is key.
decided to do Aluminet bc it's easier to handle and less of a great sail

Questions:
1. does the classic lovemonkey monkeyhut fit over the shiftpod2 with enough airflow?
2. if not, it looks like the two ways to modify it is to add length to the legs at the bases (Strata's modification) or add length in the middle (like the galaxy hut) recommendations for why one might be preferable or more stable than the other?
3. with aluminet, do you need to use guy wires in front/back and over the sides since it won't catch as much wind?
4. worth putting up a blast shield inside the aluminet?
5. any great mods for fence post pounders for rebar? not planning on using a generator so it'll be me powered and i see a hammer and 14+ pieces of rebar and me as being less friendly than i'm hoping..
do you have good extension tricks to use a 2' post pounder on a 2' rebar?
6. how much do you really stake in a shiftpod under the monkeyhut if there's lots of weight in it? (I never staked my tents when they were under carports, but those had walls)

thanks for all the thoughts!!

LowePro

Re: Monkeyhut over shiftpod with aluminet

Post by LowePro » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:07 am

#5:
Fence-post pounders don't work that great on Rebar and not any easier than a sledge, in my exp. A sledge hammer and good set of work gloves and some muscle is about perfect. 14 stakes is not that bad. Bring vice grips and/or crow bar to remove.
Lag-screws and impact driver is a preferred alternative for staking. No hammer swinging at all.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 am

I have the 'magic' rebar pounder. Buy a 6 or 8 inch piece of galvanized pipe and a screw on cap. When you slip it over the top of the rebar it gives you a way to hang on while you hammer it in. It also gives you a large, flat area to pound.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 am

Answers inline below:
mtbean wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Questions:
1. does the classic lovemonkey monkeyhut fit over the shiftpod2 with enough airflow?
Find the height of the shiftpod. Then figure the height of the monkeyhut by assuming the length of the crosspieces are half the circumference of a circle. A monkyhut is actually an elipse but at these sizes you will get a "good enough" figure and save a lot of math.

2. if not, it looks like the two ways to modify it is to add length to the legs at the bases (Strata's modification) or add length in the middle (like the galaxy hut) recommendations for why one might be preferable or more stable than the other?
I'd probably use Strata's design.

3. with aluminet, do you need to use guy wires in front/back and over the sides since it won't catch as much wind?
Yes, with lagbolts.

4. worth putting up a blast shield inside the aluminet?
Probably not.

5. any great mods for fence post pounders for rebar? not planning on using a generator so it'll be me powered and i see a hammer and 14+ pieces of rebar and me as being less friendly than i'm hoping..
do you have good extension tricks to use a 2' post pounder on a 2' rebar?
Use lags instead of rebar.

6. how much do you really stake in a shiftpod under the monkeyhut if there's lots of weight in it? (I never staked my tents when they were under carports, but those had walls)
You don't know how much wind you will have. Use lags, not rebar.

thanks for all the thoughts!!
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

mtbean
Burning Since: 2005

Post by mtbean » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm

thank you!
my best guess with math and experience is that we should have a 3" clearance over the shiftpod, not sure if that is enough with airflow, but with aluminet, i'm not sure if that's enough (I suspect it wouldn't be with tarp)
I have seen posts, however, mentioning that they're lovemonkey monkey hut was 6' tall, which would be too low

what i'm hearing is lags for the 2' monkeyhut legs?

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Post by Grumpy Otter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:58 pm

You may be over thinking this. All you should need is enough clearance to allow air flow. As long as the Monkey Hut is not in contact with the tent there should not be any heat transfer. Just a few inches will provide that.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:04 am

mtbean wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm
thank you!
my best guess with math and experience is that we should have a 3" clearance over the shiftpod, not sure if that is enough with airflow, but with aluminet, i'm not sure if that's enough (I suspect it wouldn't be with tarp)
I have seen posts, however, mentioning that they're lovemonkey monkey hut was 6' tall, which would be too low

what i'm hearing is lags for the 2' monkeyhut legs?
Yes, use long lags and set the monkeyhut legs over the to keep the monkey hut from moving. attach the aluminet to the ground with lags. Figjam just bumped this thread https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic ... 77&t=68556 I wonder if it was for you? 8)
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”