SilviShade vs Aluminet?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: SilviShade vs Aluminet?

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 am

I'm a strong fan of Aluminet - search my posts. I think I got mine on other burner advice about 2003 from the American distributor and have burned with it since. My understanding, ePlayans correct me if I'm wrong, is that Aluminet is a patented sole supplier item manufactured in Israel for their agricultural needs.

That Aluminet passes to distributors in the US and Canada you can buy from, then it is sold to other retailers you can buy from.

If that photo is accurate, SilviShade is Aluminet. I don't have experience with SilviShade or that supplier. The price seems similar.

I have found that Aluminet has good resale value in burner towns, can help shade your plantings or pets, hoses dust off easily and is amazingly light weight and crush packable in a duffel bag. I recommend edged and grommeted, unless you are wrapping a dome, then use the 7' wide roll.

I'm not sure the value of "SilviShade" for resale in comparison to "Aluminet."

My supplier who is a distributor is in my old posts. Since Summer is peak need for shade cloth in agriculture and shading greenhouses, order shade cloth 30-45 days out.

If you are looking for rock bottom shade cloth and you live in an agricultural area, sometimes the List of Craigs has used poly shade cloth under Farm and Garden.

YMMV, of course!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

thegman121
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Vagabonds & Tagalongs

Post by thegman121 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Ah that makes sense re: the patent and trademarked name!

Thanks for the info. I’m gona go ahead and pull the trigger on the SilviShade then.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm

catalog clearance appears to be The Shade Cloth Store. Same web page.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I may be mistaken, but I recall hearing that the patent on Aluminet expired sometime within the past few years, which is why we now see other suppliers selling basically the same thing. Take that with a grain of salt, I haven't done a patent search to check.

The trademark on the name Aluminet still applies, though, which is why they have different names.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Papa Bear, like Rival Crock Pot. Some of the other brands are just as good or better.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Yep. We bought "80% Alumimesh" from the shade cloth store last year. Works great so far.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”