Internet Access

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
dprc
Burning Since: 2012

Internet Access

Post by dprc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi, what is the most relaible way to get a internet connection at this BM? I found sites like burningfi.com, but they charge 200$. Is there some way cheaper?
Thanks alot

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Internet Access

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Nope....
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 pm

There was zero cell or internet.
That was one of the defining elements, the isolation from the outside world.
This shit really ruins it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Yeah, nothing reliable that isn’t expensive.

Sat phones, Hughes portable satellite etc.

Sorry, not the kind of thing where you can do meetings, check in on things and whatnot.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm

There is one sure fire way for you to get: (1) Free, (2) Uninterrupted, (3) 24/7, (4) uninterrupted and (5) live streaming internet service on the playa --

Build & Bring you own.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Internet really? You miss the whole point of Burning man.
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Drizzt321
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Drizzt321 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:47 am

Guard Dawg wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:16 pm
Internet really? You miss the whole point of Burning man.
I can actually think of one or two artsy type things you could do with it. But not as a regular actual Internet service you'd use like at home. Yuck. There's a reason my phone goes off once the camp build team finishes arriving.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am

I can think of a zillion artsy things you can do without it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm

If I can’t Instagram live feed my dancing on Robot Heart, I will have wasted all this money on my feather headdress! The world needs to know how awesome I am RIGHT NOW! Please, god, somebody pay attention to me.

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am
I can think of a zillion artsy things you can do without it.
👍
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Guard Dawg

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

Chowski wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm
If I can’t Instagram live feed my dancing on Robot Heart, I will have wasted all this money on my feather headdress! The world needs to know how awesome I am RIGHT NOW! Please, god, somebody pay attention to me.
Sadly, It's the narcissism of millennials. The "Me, me, me and only me" selfie—selfish generation.

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:13 pm

I thought the whole point of going to Burning Man was to unplug from the default... :roll:

Wondering how long until MVs come with wifi jammers now.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 pm

My friend bought a burning-FI thingie and it didn't work. At all.

No idea if she is asking for or will receive a refund. She needed to check emails and had to run around and find a working wi-fi.
In dust we trust.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm

The availability of internet has a lot of downsides, but to be fair, there are also folks who can relax and be more present if they have some kind of reliable connection to the outside world when needed.

High on that list is parents who have small children back home - especially if Burning Man is the first time they've left them in someone else's care for more than an evening or two. They may not talk to the kids every night, but knowing they can if something goes wrong is reassuring, and sometimes a quick midweek chat relieves a lot of stress and allows the parents to go back to enjoying themselves.

As far as BurningFi, we had one in camp this year (several people split the cost). It was fine during build week, but it turned out to be utterly worthless by the time the gates opened.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:13 pm
Wondering how long until MVs come with wifi jammers now.
Although wireless jammers may seem like a cyberpunk brilliant brain fart, do not do radio jamming.

There is a lot of infrastructure like medical, emergency services and landing airplanes which need wireless. 99% of jammers are crap and they spill over into adjacent bands like GPS which has a very weak signal.

There is an effort by the camps who provide public WiFi to limit the length of time for sessions and use other technical means to limit gratuitous connectivity.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm

I had 5 bars of LTE service Friday of build week and I used it to coordinate the setup crew and other people coming in. Data slowed and then finally stopped flowing Sunday morning and that's when I put my phone in airplane mode and just used it as a camera for the rest of the week. I love airplane mode.....

When I got back to Reno and turned airplane mode off, my phone blew up for about 20 minutes straight with new messages and e-mails.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 pm

And to add to SSE’s good call on not jamming ...

... jamming is a serious federal crime, fines are crazy steep and there is prison time.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am

TT120 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 pm

When I got back to Reno and turned airplane mode off, my phone blew up for about 20 minutes straight with new messages and e-mails.
I had a similar experience two years ago, except all of the emails were notifications of charges made on my PayPal debit card. All fraudulent charges of around $100.00 each. All gift cards it turned out. Between my PayPal balance and what they got from my backup checking account, they managed to get me for just a bit over 5 grand.

Had there been internet service I would have been able to have caught this early.

Fortunately, it had a happy ending. PayPal and the bank refunded all of the money.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am

On build Monday I was surprised to find full service.... at first.... less as thousands more showed up... almost useless by end of build week.... it was possible to check MLB scores and standings at 4AM. Hydration is key.... drink enough beer or such to avoid sleeping thru the night and missing the lull in demand.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Return to “Power & Electronics”