Fuel storage - in the RV?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
poopje
Burning Since: 2019

Fuel storage - in the RV?

Post by poopje » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:59 am

Hi. I see various links on fuel storage and posts from even a few years ago.

https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... m2YZDW7qNI

https://journal.burningman.org/2019/07/ ... 28g6_0km0I

I see notes on maximum capacity, secondary containment, keeping it cool, etc....However, I can't quite see what answers my question... Can I store the excess in my jerry can, in it's secondary container (with room for expansion), in the secure storage compartment of my RV? If not there, it would have to be out in the open away from the RV with nothing to stop it sprouting little wheels and disappearing somewhere into the playa.......... not that that would happen! I guess my question is about security as well as safety of the fuel..

One of the above links says "Keep fuel away from RV/trailers and non-fuel items", but does "away from" mean OUTside of the RV (i.e. where it might be knocked, heat up etc.) or does it mean anywhere near it!??

Thoughts?

Canoe

Re: Fuel storage - in the RV?

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 am

You don't say why you have fuel in a jerry can.
Will you be getting it out during the week?
Filling a generator?
Fuel spills are an issue on the playa.

I see Burning Since 2019. Do you have any idea how hot it gets in those storage containers? In the sun and/or with the ground under them getting backed in the sun? If fumes leak within that storage, they're contained, but will leak. What with the RV could be an ignition source?

Cherry picking from the points at your link.
But it's the last one, from survival.burningman.org/leave-no-trace/leaky-things-spills-the-most-common-lnt-issues/
that I believe you should be contacting.
  • All fuel containers, regardless of size, must be stored within “secondary containment” basins. If a fuel container should fail, a secondary containment basin will catch all the fuel. For small fuel containers, a secondary containment solution can be as simple as a cement mixing tub or fuel-resistant tarp with a raised frame placed beneath to create a containment area.
  • Bring a shovel and sealable five-gallon bucket for removing fuel spills and contaminated soil from the playa and take it with you post event to dispose of.
  • Fuel should not be stored inside or under a living area. [RECOMMENDED]
  • Storing fuel in the shade is recommended, particularly in a designated fuel storage depot. However, fuel should never be stored in a confined space, under or near a structure or vehicle, or close to sources of ignition. [RECOMMENDED]
  • Questions about fuel? Contact fuelsafety at burningman dot org
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am

There are many reasons fuel safety is super tight at BM.

The main ones you should focus on:

1. We don’t want YOU to die in a fiery explosion.

2. We don’t want your neighbors to die from the shrapnel of the fiery explosion.

3. We don’t want you to suck the off-gassing fumes from your fuel which WILL seep into your RV from the storage bin in the belly of the rig.

Solution to your fears: get a good length of chain. Lag-screw it mid-point to the ground. Place your containment tub and fuel on top. Use remaining length of chain to secure cans with a lock.

Most fuel theft, and it does happen, is crime of convenience, so make it inconvenient.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

^^^^^ Mr Token is spot on
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am
Solution to your fears: get a good length of chain. Lag-screw it mid-point to the ground. Place your containment tub and fuel on top. Use remaining length of chain to secure cans with a lock...
And it stops someone coming along TUI, seeing your fuel and deciding 'hey, we can have a burn - right now'.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 pm

I love the BM org reference to a “fuel resistant tarp”... has anyone ever found such a unicorn?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 pm
I love the BM org reference to a “fuel resistant tarp”... has anyone ever found such a unicorn?
Yes but in industry it’s called a fuel containment liner, and it ain’t cheap.

The use of “tarp” is a terrible disservice to LNT. Everyone takes the leap to the cheap blue tarps which are absolutely not good for fuel containment.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21 am

I always used to put a tarp OVER my fuel containers, so the clipboard-carriers couldn’t see them. That was very effective, even when they came back several times excessively hassling a campmate.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

poopje
Burning Since: 2019

Post by poopje » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Well in the end we decided we didn't buy the extra can as we had no idea how much of the one in the vehicle we would use! And we didn't use that much of it..... and we should have. We were so worried we would run out of petrol using the generator that we hardly had it on and were so hot. Lots of lessons from our first burn. We had a great time but the next will be better.

Thanks all! xxx

Return to “Power & Electronics”