Power supply for audio/DJ gear

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
spolsky
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Future Turtles / Rootpile

Power supply for audio/DJ gear

Post by spolsky » Thu May 12, 2022 3:43 pm

This is the first year our camp (the Future Turtles) will have a DJ, so we've invested in some powered speakers.

From what we've heard, this audio gear can be highly sensitive to spikes and dips in the power supply. Since everything is going to be plugged into a generator on playa, I'm worried about the reliability and stability of our power source. We've definitely seen the voltage from your typical small generators plummet when someone starts a motor somewhere, and we're worried this will damage the audio equipment.

What do people use to protect their audio equipment out there? I've seen audio power conditioners online (although they look like rack mounted equipment; not sure how happy they will be on playa). They're not very expensive either; under $200. I've also thought of maybe using a UPS.

(PS the music is for our 11am morning workout class. Come by Monday through Friday for an intensive "Desert HIIT" workout. I heard there will be smoothies.)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Power supply for audio/DJ gear

Post by Token » Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 pm

The zero cost solution is to talk to your camp and say: “From 11am to 1pm we are running our gig, don’t plug in your motor home and fire up the AC”.

Then go to your Spider Box and flip those breakers to the off position and lock the panel.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat May 14, 2022 12:01 am

Token gives the answer that most small camps use, it works and its cheap.
What voltage does the speakers and amp use? Not what they are plugged in to but what they use? Is the amp, player, etc on a separate cord? What voltage do they use?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon May 16, 2022 1:49 pm

If the audio equipment is valuable enough to be protected … besides the obligatory “If you’re not ready to have article X destroyed by The Playa, don’t bring it” …

Power conditioning hasn’t been a thing in the US for much of the last half century.

My grandfather had one (and I ain’t that young no more); it was the size of a good 5U rack unit, weighed a good 100 pounds, when you turned it on it would take a second to actually load up all them transformers and store the magnetic flux it used to stabilize the output …

… they still exist for the precision scientific world but not cheap.

An “import” from industrial countries with bad power grid … India, China … probably can be found for cheap, but they tend to not to be high quality units due to most originating in 240V/50Hz land.

A quality pure sine wave UPS is the modern way to go, but like all things there days, you gotta pay up to get the good stuff.

The cheap consumer UPS - fine for laptops and priced accordingly.

The good data center grade gear - thousands to just open the door. The kind that has zero switching time, etc.

If I had anything that sensitive that needed good power … dedicated Honda EU2200 with an outboard tank.

But then again, I already have three of those because of living in California with our glorious power outages and wildfires. ;)

Return to “Power & Electronics”