Shift Pod, Dual Hose AC, Generator Questions

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
jHands
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Slut Garden

Shift Pod, Dual Hose AC, Generator Questions

Post by jHands » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am

Greetings. My partner and I are being lent a shift pod for the burn this year by a very generous colleague whom is taking the year off. I have questions for those of you that have used a pod with a dual hose air conditioner. Will a 10-14k BTU AC keep the shift pod cool enough during the day to get some shut-eye, or will it not be enough to keep up with the heat of the playa sun? We ARE NOT intending on building a shade structure over top of the pod, therefore the pod could potentially be in direct sun based on the layout of our camp and if we are positioned strategically enough with RV's for shade.

On the topic of generators, will a Honda EU2200 be powerful enough to not overdraw when the compressor starts on one of the mentioned dual hose units? The wattage of a 10-12k is usually in the 1000-1200 range, IME. Therefore, wattage isn't a concern. What worries me is the amperage draw once the compressor gets started. We haven't purchased anything yet, and are looking for some guidance.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Shift Pod, Dual Hose AC, Generator Questions

Post by Popeye » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:48 am

Depending on how cool you want it it WILL keep it cool enough. Shiftpod air will also be very dry.
Power equals voltage times current your voltage will be 120 so power in watts is directly related to amperage.
Rule of thumb is 1000btu equals 1 amp Running current. Starting current is up to twice running current but usually about 1.5 times running current. The hoses on a remote unit cause heat gain in cooled air inside the hoses. Keep them short.
The response time of yoiur gaeneerator is much longer than the response time of your wall outlet at home so even if your generator is technically capable of starting and running your AC it may not.
Factor in some power loss at altitude.
Bottom line get a 3kw Honda.
Better idea is build a Figjam. Lots less expensive, quieter, moist air, more comfort.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

jHands

Post by jHands » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:00 pm

We have built a FIGJAM. We’ve been told, by the person loaning us the shift pod and others, that the figjam design works well in a hexa yurt but that there isn’t enough insulation in the shift pod for it to work effectively.

jHands

Post by jHands » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Anyone know if the evaporative coolers sold at Home Depot work on the playa? Seems like they might actually be meant to be ran inside a structure. Would this be an issue? Would be way more energy efficient on the genny than an AC.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&hilit=cooling+your+tent+van

The answers to all your questions are in the link above.
BTW cooling, with an evap cooler, depends more on air flow and moisture than insulation.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

jHands

Post by jHands » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:37 am

I’m asking specifically if anyone has used retail evaporative coolers on the playa with success. I’m aware of the figjam bucket. I have one. I’ve been told it won’t work in the shift pod. Wondering if a bigger, retail one will.

tully
Burning Since: 2011

Post by tully » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:30 am

A 10-12k BTU A/C should work with your Honda generator if you install a hard start capacitor to reduce the load on startup -

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:55 pm

If you’re worried about a single EU2200 running a 10-12k BTU AC - and I’d definitely worry about that because I’ve never seen one be able to do that at playa altitude and I’ve used them for a long time - then get two instead of one EU3000. The 3000 is a tank. It weighs 140 pounds. A pair of 2000/2200s weigh a lot less even for the combined pair, and you only have to lift one 50 pound set at a time. They make more power than a 3000. They work with the external fuel tanks.

A FIGJAM bucket cooler more comfortable and better than real AC? Not a chance.

Remember if you test-fire an AC at home first using a small generator it still may not work on the playa, you lose roughly 10% power because of the altitude.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Power & Electronics”