Bike pole using see through material

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Post Reply
pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:00 am

Hey all!

Was wondering if anyone has any idea how to make the following bike flag led poles..
Image

I couldn't find the material used on these ones...

I had the same idea, using some pipe with light inside and attaching it with that bracket to a wood panel of sorts
Not sure what material was used here but I do not believe that's foam...

Would also appreciate if anyone has a good tip regarding which led strip to use or how to connect that wood panel securely to the bike
Will probably be using a battery-operated one which as far as I saw only reach 2m, the rest is 12v, need a big battery which i believe will also die fast

Searched the forums, couldn't find really good support for what I am after...

Thanks for reading :)

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3152
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02 am

Clear (translucent) polyethylene tubing. If it is expanded polyethylene tubing "pool noodle" - I usually don't see it in clear - that is a standard pipe insulation. Check your local plumbing supplier/insulation/plastics supplier.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 6202
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am

Mine is foam. Bought it years ago at the sporting goods store.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 am

Ratty wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am
some seeing eye wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:02 am
Clear (translucent) polyethylene tubing. If it is expanded polyethylene tubing "pool noodle" - I usually don't see it in clear - that is a standard pipe insulation. Check your local plumbing supplier/insulation/plastics supplier.
Thanks so much, are you positive that's what i'm seeing or just think that's probably what it is? just confirming :)
If that is it, then the polyethylene tubing should be see-through.. the one in the image really shines!
It might be it though depending on the diameter it might be possible to find something with partial stiffness..

Did you mean that when expanding polyethylene tubing you get those pool noodles??
I can check my local plumbing supplier but taking it on a plane would be an issue :) I guess I'll have to get this in Reno
Ratty wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am
Mine is foam. Bought it years ago at the sporting goods store.
The pool noodles? would need to think of a way to cut a hole straight through...


Thanks!!!

acoover
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Big Girtha

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by acoover » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:29 am

From the image, these could be LED Light Whips which are typically mounted on ATV / UTVs for safety at night. Google "LED Light Whips" and you can see what I'm talking about.

Image

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:56 am

acoover wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:29 am
From the image, these could be LED Light Whips which are typically mounted on ATV / UTVs for safety at night. Google "LED Light Whips" and you can see what I'm talking about.

I saw these ones but i was pretty sure they are connected to the atv battery.. i didnt really check :)

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:31 am

acoover wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:29 am
From the image, these could be LED Light Whips which are typically mounted on ATV / UTVs for safety at night. Google "LED Light Whips" and you can see what I'm talking about.
On further inspection I am not entirely sure that is the same.
The ATV led whips require 12V and connect to the ATV battery..

I also think that by judging the photo it is something a bit different

I am still trying to find different LED whips and might be able to find battery operated ones but currently I think that if I even buy a 12V battery (like a 2800mah one I found on amazon), it will deplete really quickly..

Thanks!!! :)

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 am

I am pretty certain the light poles are around 2m and the light inside is only one strip connected to a big battery

from the images i can see each pole has a big battery on the bottom, dont think it is a 12v one...

any hints are welcome! trying to understand this from the web :coffee:

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 6202
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am

Pool noodles already have a hole through them. The problem is that they won't let the light through. The commercial light noodles are white, not dense foam. They are also very pricey. They give a spectacular light show with many choices of modes.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4564
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Token » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am

pixelicous wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 am
I am pretty certain the light poles are around 2m and the light inside is only one strip connected to a big battery

from the images i can see each pole has a big battery on the bottom, dont think it is a 12v one...

any hints are welcome! trying to understand this from the web :coffee:
Looks like a lot of options with whip-lights.

Some have their own LiIon batteries, some connect to external power.

Most look like turnkey solutions.

What is specifically you need help with?

User avatar
Traveller in Time
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 am
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:18 am

Pool noodle alike material is used to protect chair legs. Ask at furniture shop before they go into dumpster.

Not stiff enough for use like in picture.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world



Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge




...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen



Have some Free will

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am
Looks like a lot of options with whip-lights.
Some have their own LiIon batteries, some connect to external power.
Most look like turnkey solutions.
What is specifically you need help with?
Well the options are:
  • A led whip made out of longer led strips, brighter but also 12v needed
    DIY or purchasing already made..
    Using this battery -
    Deep cycle batteries are too heavy for a bicycle
  • A usb powered 2m(16.4ft) led strip sticked inside diffused tubing of some sort and handled with a regular usb power bank


The only problem is I am not sure which tubing/pipe to get.. polyethylene or acrylic, maybe transparent and use frosted glass spray.. I'm checking amazon but doing this at reno would be best I guess

I have a small list for DIY led whip that i found online if anyone is interested
LED Strip Lights: https://amzn.to/2U8icIK
Antenna: https://amzn.to/2U48eb3
Rocker Switch: https://amzn.to/2StuSIu
Heat Shrink: https://amzn.to/2XiVSy5
Whip Plugs: https://amzn.to/2Stvii2
Extra Wire: https://amzn.to/2StVCsx
Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors: https://amzn.to/2EypQGT
Black Heat Shrink: https://amzn.to/2EwolsO
Roll Bar Clamps/Whip Mounts: https://amzn.to/2NtACB7

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Ratty wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am
Pool noodles already have a hole through them. The problem is that they won't let the light through. The commercial light noodles are white, not dense foam. They are also very pricey. They give a spectacular light show with many choices of modes.
i know of commercial light noodles but those are really short and flimsy, the wind will beat them.. do you know how i can find the ones you refer to?
Traveller in Time wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:18 am
Pool noodle alike material is used to protect chair legs. Ask at furniture shop before they go into dumpster.

Not stiff enough for use like in picture.
That's what i thought about the foam, strong possibility of it getting bent

User avatar
Traveller in Time
Posts: 1038
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:52 am
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Add carbon telescopic fishing rod inside
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world



Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge




...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen



Have some Free will

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4564
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Token » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm

pixelicous wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:02 pm
Token wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 am
Looks like a lot of options with whip-lights.
Some have their own LiIon batteries, some connect to external power.
Most look like turnkey solutions.
What is specifically you need help with?
Well the options are:
  • A led whip made out of longer led strips, brighter but also 12v needed
    DIY or purchasing already made..
    Using this battery -
    Deep cycle batteries are too heavy for a bicycle
  • A usb powered 2m(16.4ft) led strip sticked inside diffused tubing of some sort and handled with a regular usb power bank


The only problem is I am not sure which tubing/pipe to get.. polyethylene or acrylic, maybe transparent and use frosted glass spray.. I'm checking amazon but doing this at reno would be best I guess

I have a small list for DIY led whip that i found online if anyone is interested
LED Strip Lights: https://amzn.to/2U8icIK
Antenna: https://amzn.to/2U48eb3
Rocker Switch: https://amzn.to/2StuSIu
Heat Shrink: https://amzn.to/2XiVSy5
Whip Plugs: https://amzn.to/2Stvii2
Extra Wire: https://amzn.to/2StVCsx
Heat Shrink Solder Wire Connectors: https://amzn.to/2EypQGT
Black Heat Shrink: https://amzn.to/2EwolsO
Roll Bar Clamps/Whip Mounts: https://amzn.to/2NtACB7
Don’t jump to the solution yet ... state your design goal and requirements.

Is 6’ (2m) good enough? Want longer?

How bright do you want to go?

Straight led strip design or coiled led strip in a helix for max lumens?

I’ve run a lot of led strip designs from 3S 30P liPoly batteries used for drones and helicopter RC. They are small, lightweight, come in 5 - 8 Ah at 11.1V nominal. Relatively cheap but the chargers do cost some.

maladroit
Posts: 2374
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by maladroit » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 pm

If you use normal LED strip for this, count on it to fail. Designed to be installed behind the letters of store's sign in a mall. Not designed to be flexed in every direction several times per minute.

Even a good solution with individual stiff PCBs linked by silicone wire will eventually fail, it's just a matter of time.

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 am

Token wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Don’t jump to the solution yet ... state your design goal and requirements.
Is 6’ (2m) good enough? Want longer?
How bright do you want to go?
Straight led strip design or coiled led strip in a helix for max lumens?
I’ve run a lot of led strip designs from 3S 30P liPoly batteries used for drones and helicopter RC. They are small, lightweight, come in 5 - 8 Ah at 11.1V nominal. Relatively cheap but the chargers do cost some.
Alright, I'll try to answer best I can :)

My dream would be for those ATV led whips to be easily installed on a bike with the right battery/connectors, but i couldn't find how i can make that come true, thats why i reverted in my mind to a basic 2m led strip. So yes, preferably helix with lots of leds, it doesn't have to be max lumens like the crazy adafruit neopixels for example but I want it to actually produce seen light, not just be shown as "ON".. if you get what I mean

Length: 2m
Colors: Not just one color, would love rainbow effects and such
Runtime: I wouldnt want to start to turn it off and on many times, but would love for it to stay on for more than 6hours
LED addressability: I don't have time to connect my own microcontroller or anything and code the different modes/effects (did such goggles and dust masks though), so I would prefer to use the built-in modes of a controller

The 3S 30P liPoly batteries sound like an interesting option, they probably can't be found with a connector that is already ready for such led strips though, or am i wrong? They also seem not with the highest ampere rating.. would love to hear from experience though
As much as i would like I won't have the option of having time when I land to solder etc.. would have done everything myself if so :)

Thanks :!: :!:
Last edited by pixelicous on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:00 am

Traveller in Time wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Add carbon telescopic fishing rod inside
We purchased telescoping fishing rods and I also thought about it, it means ill need to buy a wider diameter
tube that will also put down on the flex but add weight on the rod, so i am not sure how much help it will give for the whole structure, also need to clip the different rings on the rod, and i have a feeling it will not sit tight
maladroit wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:31 pm
If you use normal LED strip for this, count on it to fail. Designed to be installed behind the letters of store's sign in a mall. Not designed to be flexed in every direction several times per minute.

Even a good solution with individual stiff PCBs linked by silicone wire will eventually fail, it's just a matter of time.
Maybe below a wood deck or tv.. the mall ones are 4led thin square squares with a wire between them :)
I saw many people that use those led strips for that, and the bend is not that great as well.. I agree that it might fail, but there is also a strong possibility for it to work

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 6202
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Ratty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 pm

I keep an array of fishing poles in the basement. Some are snapped. They are for flying kites and making things. I wouldn't use a telescopic pole. Use a one piece. Or the bottom half of a 2 piece. You can even use the reel attachment to secure it to your bike.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 pm

pixelicous wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 am
... I want it to actually produce seen light, not just be shown as "ON".. if you get what I mean ...
Well, LEDS are point source lights, so to get a whole-wand effect, you need more LEDs close together and something that diffuses the light to blend the point sources into a continuous "wand".

With a clear/see-through tube, you'd see each LED as a pin point at its size. To get the whole wand effect, the tube needs to have some diffusing/'frosting' effect. That's where a transparent white tube would help, even where you're going to be running a coloured string of LEDs. You can create some diffusing from a smooth clear tube by lightly sanding it with fine sand paper or a scotch-brite pad. You could even push/pull such a pad through the inside of the tube before assembly, so you'd have diffusion on both the inside and outside of the tube wall.
The more LEDs and closer together, along with the tube diffusing their light, the more whole wand look you'll get. Compare the photo's four vs. the one.

You could put two strings back to back (might need a strip of kapton tape between them if there's exposed conductors).

More light, and more heat, but at night its cooler so their life shouldn't be affected too badly.
I expect you'll have some "there's each LED" effect, as you can see where each LED is, except where blurred by the camera exposure.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4564
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Token » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm

pixelicous wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 am

Alright, I'll try to answer best I can :)

My dream would be for those ATV led whips to be easily installed on a bike with the right battery/connectors, but i couldn't find how i can make that come true, thats why i reverted in my mind to a basic 2m led strip. So yes, preferably helix with lots of leds, it doesn't have to be max lumens like the crazy adafruit neopixels for example but I want it to actually produce seen light, not just be shown as "ON".. if you get what I mean

Length: 2m
Colors: Not just one color, would love rainbow effects and such
Runtime: I wouldnt want to start to turn it off and on many times, but would love for it to stay on for more than 6hours
LED addressability: I don't have time to connect my own microcontroller or anything and code the different modes/effects (did such goggles and dust masks though), so I would prefer to use the built-in modes of a controller

The 3S 30P liPoly batteries sound like an interesting option, they probably can't be found with a connector that is already ready for such led strips though, or am i wrong? They also seem not with the highest ampere rating.. would love to hear from experience though
As much as i would like I won't have the option of having time when I land to solder etc.. would have done everything myself if so :)

Thanks :!: :!:
OK, so the basic 15’ (3m) led strip RGB kit, say with 300 5050 LEDs has everything you need in terms of the lighting. Controller, remote, bunch of programs built in.

A 3S liPo battery has what’s called a Deans connector. You need a converter from Deans to 2.1mm barrel in order to plug into a LED strip controller directly.

I would take this gear, get a 2m semi-rigid whip type tube (fishing rod, old antenna etc) as the core. Preferably 9-10 mm thickness, spiral wrap the led strip but not use the sticky side, just tack the ends with invisible tape after its wound.

Then use clear heat-shrink tubing to seal everything.

Now, considering that you are running out of time, it may be easier for this year to just get a turnkey product that already has a battery.

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am

Token wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:44 pm
OK, so the basic 15’ (3m) led strip RGB kit, say with 300 5050 LEDs has everything you need in terms of the lighting. Controller, remote, bunch of programs built in.

A 3S liPo battery has what’s called a Deans connector. You need a converter from Deans to 2.1mm barrel in order to plug into a LED strip controller directly.

I would take this gear, get a 2m semi-rigid whip type tube (fishing rod, old antenna etc) as the core. Preferably 9-10 mm thickness, spiral wrap the led strip but not use the sticky side, just tack the ends with invisible tape after its wound.

Then use clear heat-shrink tubing to seal everything.

Now, considering that you are running out of time, it may be easier for this year to just get a turnkey product that already has a battery.
Well yeah it has everything besides the right power or battery :) if i just use 3m then I think that spiraling it will take it down to like 1.5m
If i use 3m i dont think ill need 12V though no? I should just get a usb kit with a usb power bank

regarding turnkey product, i couldn't find a led whip that has a battery, they are all connected to the atv battery..
some of the products on amazon were "battery included" but from the images it seemed like they were speaking of the remote control battery :lol:

i found led whip diy videos that were good enough, but not enough time :)

I was thinking that maybe the easiest would be polyethylene tube as somebody suggested above, use one led strip of 2 m, running up and use usb battery.. im just trying to find the right one, in terms of flexibility, transperency, etc..
Last edited by pixelicous on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4564
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Token » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:14 am

16.4 feet is 5m. Sorry, I was sloppy with the conversion...

Anything powered via USB will be seriously dim by BM standards.

If you want light, it’s gonna need power. Simple as that.

Those 16.4ft-5m led strips are anywhere from 50W - 90W for the full length at 12V DC. That’s 5 - 7 Amps draw, so an all-night run would need a big battery.

And no, cutting the led strip to shorter length does not reduce the voltage requirements. Those are fixed at 12V. It does reduce overall power and current.

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 am

Token wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:14 am
16.4 feet is 5m. Sorry, I was sloppy with the conversion...

Anything powered via USB will be seriously dim by BM standards.

If you want light, it’s gonna need power. Simple as that.

Those 16.4ft-5m led strips are anywhere from 50W - 90W for the full length at 12V DC. That’s 5 - 7 Amps draw, so an all-night run would need a big battery.

And no, cutting the led strip to shorter length does not reduce the voltage requirements. Those are fixed at 12V. It does reduce overall power and current.
Dude, first of all, a big big hug and warm thank you for all of your replies. I truly deeply appreciate it.

There are 2m USB kits online, like this one -


I am pretty sure what I see on the bike in the picture I have shown is either USB power bank or the RC lipo batteries you mentioned, I can see two boxes, on the front bike, and the back bike (black&blue).. and regarding the tubing it looks like a 2m some sort of tube and one line going up.

I have fishing rods, such as this -


Still looking for tubing, couldn't find a wide enough Polyethylene tubing at "home depot" website for example, the back diameter of the rod is 17mm... I can send stuff to storage iI have in reno, or just buy when I land

Regarding shortening the strip, yeah i know it's still 12v, just less ampere is drawn if i'm not mistaken no?

If I am short on time, wouldn't I be able to find the converter you spoke of and maybe connect it to those led whips? Or I'd have to also solder the led whip bit?

How big were the lipo batteries you used? I saw 7200mah ones on amazon
Last edited by pixelicous on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

pixelicous
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Joujou

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by pixelicous » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:52 am

Canoe wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 pm
pixelicous wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 am
... I want it to actually produce seen light, not just be shown as "ON".. if you get what I mean ...
Well, LEDS are point source lights, so to get a whole-wand effect, you need more LEDs close together and something that diffuses the light to blend the point sources into a continuous "wand".

With a clear/see-through tube, you'd see each LED as a pin point at its size. To get the whole wand effect, the tube needs to have some diffusing/'frosting' effect. That's where a transparent white tube would help, even where you're going to be running a coloured string of LEDs. You can create some diffusing from a smooth clear tube by lightly sanding it with fine sand paper or a scotch-brite pad. You could even push/pull such a pad through the inside of the tube before assembly, so you'd have diffusion on both the inside and outside of the tube wall.
The more LEDs and closer together, along with the tube diffusing their light, the more whole wand look you'll get. Compare the photo's four vs. the one.

You could put two strings back to back (might need a strip of kapton tape between them if there's exposed conductors).

More light, and more heat, but at night its cooler so their life shouldn't be affected too badly.
I expect you'll have some "there's each LED" effect, as you can see where each LED is, except where blurred by the camera exposure.
Thanks for the reply man, read it all.
I know regarding the diffusion and the tubing, i understand it :) the options are known but my problem is mainly with finding the right material for that tubing.. or solution for the power..

Still looking for sources for these ideas :)

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Watching a gathering of these on the livestream.
Than can change the colour they display, multiple colours at the same time, and they can go dark and then the light runs up the pole from the bottom to the top.
Seems to be fairly long, points up robustly, yet the tip flips back and forth as they move across the playa.
No idea whose or who, but looks interesting.

The second image is an attempt to catcht he light shooting up the whip.
.
Light whips on playa 2019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

krly
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Bike pole using see through material

Post by krly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:50 pm

How about using clear plastic hose/tubing and just running a 1/4"-3/8" dowel inside it (along with lites) for stiffness ?

Post Reply

Return to “Power & Electronics”