IPod + Amp System??

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
frenchblue1

IPod + Amp System??

Post by frenchblue1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Does anyone know if you can create a sound system (without using a stereo or receiver) with just an IPod, amp, and speakers? I've seen some odd creations on the internet but nothing that would be for a good sound system running through an IPod and Amp.
Thoughts?

Dato

Post by Dato » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 pm

Sure. You would just need to get a converter. Check out what the inputs are on the amp, and get a headphone jack to ___ converter.

If the amp takes RCAs, get a mini (headphone jack) to RCA.
If it's quater inch, mini to quarter inch.
If it's XLR, mini to XLR.

It shouldn't be a problem...

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:38 pm

Mini to XLR is a pretty tough one to find. Or at least it has been for me. Do try to avoid step-downs with too many connections, also, because naturally you lose signal at every connector. I'd guess mini to 1/4" is your best bet, and they're around. I use them all the time to plug my ipod into my mixer.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:58 pm

I believe it is a 3.5 mill to RCA jack that is needed. I guess the amp just needs to have the connectors for the speakers correct?

FabFascist

Post by FabFascist » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Man, if you are going to spring for all that other crap, spring for a cheapo mixer and just run the Mini through a stereo RCA adapter. Seriously - with all the adapters you'd need and the amount of sound degredation, a mixer for about $60 would do you good.

corpuscle68

Post by corpuscle68 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:49 pm

I ran a 1/8" headphone jack > splitter > RCAs.
The car amp I had took four RCA ins, two reds and two whites.
Sound was fat.
I powered it off of a 100 amp-hr gel cel battery. Heavy thing at around 100 lbs, but powered the amp nicely.
The amp, speakers, and battery all went on the platform of our quad cycle.

emotion_sickness
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp in 2007

Post by emotion_sickness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:12 pm

the coolest setup i've seen was a dual ipod mixer/crossfader that plugs into the docking ports...however if i had the money for 2 ipods and this board i would never take it out to the playa!

http://www.shop.com/Gemini_I_TRAX_Dual_ ... 1-p!.shtml
Why?

emotion_sickness
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp in 2007

Post by emotion_sickness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:14 pm

oh, btw, ill be toting around my ipod too w/ 7000+ songs, anyone know of a camp where i can DJ off of it for a while?
Why?

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:30 pm

works great!

It's running two amps.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:46 pm

MozyBonz wrote:Image

works great!

It's running two amps.
Mozy, You are such a show off... But the tunes will be great at your party..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:43 pm

haha! I like the hookah on the shelf!

KernelSander

Post by KernelSander » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 pm

My mutant vehicle (RoboShaw) uses a car stereo amp driven by an IPod - works really well. The car gear is pretty playa-proof; the IPod lives in one of those thick rubber cases in case of shock... make sure to prep playlists, though; driving the art car while searching for tracks is not a good idea.

- Bart

Dato

Post by Dato » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:20 pm

emotion_sickness wrote:the coolest setup i've seen was a dual ipod mixer/crossfader that plugs into the docking ports...however if i had the money for 2 ipods and this board i would never take it out to the playa!

http://www.shop.com/Gemini_I_TRAX_Dual_ ... 1-p!.shtml
Problem is, there's no pitch control. Mixing with no pitch control is like driving without a steering wheel; it just doesn't work.

1/8 to XLR is indeed non-existant. I tried as well. If all your amp takes is
XLRs, you'll have to go 1/8 to 1/4 to XLR.

Somebody mentioned bruning a cheapo mixer. That's a great idea. you get more sound control, and your ipod doesn't have to be next to the amp, so the amp can be tucked away somewhere.

One again, you have to watch the input/outputs. Check what inputs your amp has. If they are ineed XLR, most cheap mixers don't have XLr outputs, only RCA. If that's the case, you'll need yet another converter.

nixiebunny

Use a solar powered amp

Post by nixiebunny » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:54 pm

I found the right amp for this job, if you don't need to be blasted out of your skin. It's a little 15 watt stereo Class D thing made by Texas Instruments for evaluation purposes. $50, ready to go.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders ... d2evm.html

Just connect it to your iPod with a standard 1/8" stereo to dual RCA adapter cable, add 12 volts from your car battery or your whatever, add two 8 ohm speakers, and rock out!

This thing will use hardly any more power than the speakers, since it's essentially a DC-AC inverter that uses the same switching technology that makes power supplies 90% efficient. It's all done in a little 1/4" square chip that stays cold. No heat sinks!

I plan to use it with my B-I-G JBL home stereo speakers since they are very efficient compared to those tiny things in metal boxes.
--David Forbes

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:27 pm

bear with me a moment...If I take my ipod Nano, hook it up to a modest car amplifier I buy at PepBoys or somewhere like that, and then attach two moderate sized speakers, I dunno-- four or six inches, can I run this off a lawn mower battery the whole week assuming it will not be on all day?

Dato

Post by Dato » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Lawn mowers have batteries?!?!?!?! :lol::lol:

I'm not sure, BUT, I did see on target.com (Ibelieve), a solar charger to charge motorcycle/car batteries for $20. There is, of course, and abundance of sun, and if it's not run24/7, I think it may work.

As far as the setup itself, it will work fine. I used a car amplifier a couple of years ago running off my car battery, and would just kick up the car every once in a while to charge....

meyouseek

Post by meyouseek » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:13 pm

My preferred method of using the ipod in camp is to use one of those RF (radio frequency) adapters and a boombox. This way you can keep the ipod in a vehicle or somewhere else safe and relatively dust free. You also eliminate the need for any power except batteries... until you need to charge your ipod. The RF adapters work well out there where there aren't many radio stations to provide interference.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 pm

meyouseek wrote:use one of those RF (radio frequency) adapters and a boombox.
Now, see, that's why I posted here first! Brilliant solution!

thanks

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:02 am

I don't know about the xlr mentioned but bhphoto has some hard to get connectors.
Usually there is a good electronics house in most towns and the usual distributors such as Carlton-Bates.
You generally have to order items from them.
Musician's Friend may have a selection.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Return to “Power & Electronics”