Camera VS Playa Dust?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Misti
Burning Since: 2008

Camera VS Playa Dust?

Post by Misti » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:30 pm

I am thinking that the dust cant be a good thing when it comes to cameras, and have been trying to think of ways to keep the dust out.

Do any of you have ideas to protect a camera and still have it be able to take pictures?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:38 pm

ziplock baggy. Take it out to take your photos. then put it back. It's not going to get too dusty if it's in there all the time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 pm

I have taken the same nikon coolpix 3200 camera for the last 4 years. It is a little dusty and I just keep it in a pants pocket or closed hydration pack when not in use. What really hurt it was when a coke exploded all over it in my pickup front seat. Even after going through that it still took great pictures at this last burn.
I would not advise taking any electronic item that you absolutely have to have functional after the burn. To stave off disappointment if it should be terminally affected by the dust. Buy multiple memory cards!!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:49 pm

I've taken pictures on the playa for the past 9 years: 3 years with film, 3 years with a simple digital camera, and 3 years with a DSLR. No problems with any of them, either during or after the event. Here are the "rules" I try to follow:

1. When not in use the camera stays in a camera case. Yes, even if you are just going "a few yards" to get a better angle. Dust comes up fast sometimes.

2. Don't shoot in a dust storm. Yes, some of the pix are cool, but the risk goes up a lot.

3. Don't change lenses on the playa. I use an all-purpose 28-135 zoom lens and just leave it on.

4. Bring extra batteries and memory cards (or film, if you swing that way).

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:28 am

Best advice I have is skip the camera completely unless you want to have a few snapshots of your campmates on a personal level. Gettin to touristy will allow for you to miss out on alot of great experiences. Why bother with the camera when you can be a participant instead?

I brought a camera just for a personal diary kinda thing but I returned it to WalMarx when I got home.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:30 am

My very trashed Minolta, which I couldn't kill during drunken Navy beach parties has held up well, and so have my digitals and point n shoots. My Nikon lens cover finally did jam, but that's a design flaw. Looking forward to taking the pliers to it to see what I can do, costs more to fix it than replace it.

Ziplock baggies are your friends. One for each cameras, one for the batteries/chargers, one for the memory whathaveyous or film. Then it all goes in a bag of some sort. If you're meticulous, all the ziplocs go into a bigger gallon ziploc and that goes into a bag of some sort. Store extra film in a DRY, as in no ice or cooling packs, cooler, keep it covered and in the shade. Storing the cameras covered and in the shade when you're not using them is a good idea too, better for the cameras and less tempting to the thieves. Yes, sadly, there are thieves. Just don't stash them so well you forget where you put them. Shut up, stop laughing.

I do find if I have a camera all the time, I'm looking through it all the time. Sometimes you need to let go of the OMG! I have to get a shot of that! Do have a serious camera for a day and night of art shooting, but keep a little cheapo handy for camp pics and spur of the moment things.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 am

My Nikon Coolpix 3200 did okay in 2005 and 2006 although it chewed through batteries at a laughably high rate. 2007 completely ruined the bugger. Lense will not open and come out of the camera body. I must say, I hated that caemra from the get-go. Will buy a Cannon Sureshot next time round AND keep it in a ziplock bag at all times not in use!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:43 am

Dad gave me a Panasonic Lumix and I've been quite happy with it. Doesn't eat batteries quite as fast as the Nikon.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:57 am

I have the same experience as Doc Placebo. I do not take my camera out of it's backpack until I am ready to shoot and I try not to shoot in dust storms. I learned a lesson in 07' that I should bring a point and shoot as well since carrying a big DSLR and all of it's equipment does somewhat take away from the experience.
Why bother with the camera when you can be a participant instead?
Well considering that some photographers consider what they are doing as "art" aren't they, in fact, participating in thier own right? I mean, really, it's nothing different than a fire dancer who spends the whole night dancing in one spot, is that person missing burning man by dancing instead of participating in multiple events?

However, I do see your point. I know that I, personally, do not feel as involved when I am out shooting at BM. That's probably why I only shot about 15 pics in 07'.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

asp3

Make your camera "uniquely" yours

Post by asp3 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55 am

Speaking as someone who took in a few cameras at Play Info lost & found, do something to your camera to make it uniquely yours. That way if you do lose your camera and it is found it will be much easier to unite you with your camera.

Also be sure to read the rules for 2008 personal use camera registration and bring it by Playa Info (assuming we register cameras again this year) to register it. This will provide yet another piece of information linking you to your camera and improving your chances of getting it back if its lost.
Immature beyond my years

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 pm

I carried my Nikon D70 last year and plan on bringing my newly acquired D300 this year.

I followed advice I received from a free lance photojournalist operating in Afghanistan.

1. Pick a lens and keep it on the camera. If you do not pull the lens, the guts stay clean. I kept a zoom on mine, 18-200, and simply wiped down the zoom tube periodically as it needed it. I brought a backup lens as a just in case.

2. Tape and seal all your connector spots. I used gaff tape. Works like duct tape but is matte and leaves no residue.

3. Tape and seal battery and memory compartments. Again, I used gaff tape for these.

4. Swap batteries or memory cards only as absolutely necessary and as in as clean of an environment as you can find.

5. Bring lots of canned air. Blow the camera off 2 or 3 times daily. I also picked up some anti-static electronic wipes to wipe down all the exterior surfaces once or twice daily.

6. As already mentioned, keep the camera in a bag when not shooting. And even though it is a very good idea to not have it out in a dust storm, you can get some cool looking shots when you do.

The same picture. The top one is the tweaked out, photoshopped one. :D

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:57 pm

you can get some cool looking shots when you do.
Yeah this is why I am also bringing a point-and-shoot camera next year. Why risk the expensive SLR for shots that don't need it. If I need depth-of-field shots, I can break out the SLR but otherwise, I'll jsut use the P-N-S.

ricochet
Burning Since: 2005

Post by ricochet » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Great advice on taping the camera. I'll try that this year with the SLR. Until now I've used a Pentax Optio WP, a point & shoot that's waterproof to 5' for 30 minutes. Lots of fun in daytime dust storms, you only have to worry how clear the lens is. But really bad in low light unless it's completely still.

Maybe the waterproof p&s cameras are better now, this one's a few years old.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:58 pm

One piece of advice for your P&S camera is to not keep it in your pants pocket (assuming you have pants in the first place). For some reason, every droplet of sweat you produce will find its way into your lens and fog your pictures up. Also, carry a non-abrasive microweave cloth to wipe the lens before you start shooting. While the little dust particles can make for some nice shots, most of the time it does not or your camera will try to focus on the dust and your shots become blurry.

rairu

Post by rairu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:54 am

I saw a solution, that I will try for my Nikon D 70, here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Well,I am the worst photographer in the world, seriously, in my camera world people don't have heads, limbs, and everyone has red eyes, :shock: go figure. Reading all the lens this, camera model that, I was wondering what makes a good playa gift for someone who can take a picture? I know there are picture people in the group I will be camping with. Are there special wipes or something that I can have on hand? Sister and I will be bringing an r.v. so a semi-dust free environment for lens changing should not be a problem for the most part. I will be bringing a camera ha ha but I will most likely "forget" it at camp. Damn s.t.m.l.! :roll:

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:15 pm

I wouldnt worry about bringing things for playa-photographers. We are a pretty self-sufficient bunch and most of us would us shy away from using anything other than our own micro-weave cleaning cloths (because we KNOW they are clean and not going to scratch our lenses).

The best thing you can do for us is pose for the shot. :D

twinwitin

Post by twinwitin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 pm

thanks for the heads up :D

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:34 am

rairu wrote:I saw a solution, that I will try for my Nikon D 70, here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/
That looks great!

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Yeah I've seen something similar used. Someone actually makes ziplocks are made for a SLR camera (they actually have a cover for your lens and all). The first time I heard of this ziplock method was when I was in Hawaii and someone told me that I could just put my SLR in a ziplock and do underwater photography. I looked at him like he was nucking futs! I'd rather not get underwater shots than risk water in my camera. Great idea for the playa though!

Just a suggestion if you use this method, put a Silica pack inside the bag. Any moisture in the bag could ruin your camera. Luckily for us there is VERY little moisture out on the playa.

mk-ultra

Underwater Camera Bag?

Post by mk-ultra » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Thus far, I've stuck to only bringing my several-years-old 3.1MP Olympus. It's my back-up camera (and does a pretty nice job for a little handheld)... and frankly it's depreciated enough that if it gets wrecked by sand I'm not going to feel bent out of shape.

That said -- I *really* want to bring my D80 out with a good lens and grab some excellent photos this year. Without trashing it. I SCUBA, so I've got a (frighteningly pricey) underwater housing... that I also don't want to sacrifice to the weather out on the playa. That f'ing grit gets everywhere.

Soooo... I've been thinking about trying one of the much less expensive DSLR underwater bags ($70-ish). Has anyone had any luck with these? Looking at the reviews on B&H photo, I'm not convinced they're usable. Everyone says it's impossible to manipulate the lens and camera settings while in the bag.

If you know of a bag that actually works -- I'd love to hear about it.

Gabbles

Post by Gabbles » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Im going to buy a whole bunch of disposable cameras on wholesale.

Bulk buying for this, and attaching your address onto these cameras, seems like a really good plan. Everyone ive talked to about this said that youll more than likely get more than 70% of them back. Can you imagine? Buy 10 cameras, get 7 back. Buy 100, get 70?!! Insanity maybe, but genius if it works as well as everyone keeps telling me it will.

PrplT
Burning Since: 2000

Water-proof/dust-proof

Post by PrplT » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm

This is the waterproof (and proven dustproof) clear camera bag I use at Burning Man and through-out the year.

http://www.rei.com/product/752136?cm_mm ... erralID=NA

I do have a smaller digital camera with an auto-expanding lens. It works great. I put the camera in the bag long before arriving on the playa and never, ever take it out until long off the playa. The photos look good and the plastic doesn't distort them.

munney

dust camera

Post by munney » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:15 pm

:arrow: 3 Solutions :idea:

:arrow: Turkey Cooking Bag, :!: Used by professionals and rookies alike, :roll: Keep it taped to your lens around the outside, and take off the lens cover for your shots, and put it back on quickly after :lol:

:arrow: The Waterproof solutions also combat Dust :idea:

:arrow: If you get too Dusty, just visit Canned Air Camp, they have lots of bottles of anti Dust spray cans and are happy to share :idea:

:arrow: :wink: Get into the action, and participate, don't take too many pics as you can always find the same pic taken by a Pro, Plus, what are you going to do, be like, "Hey I really wanna get into your pants, so do you like my Zoom Lens?" , Naw, it dont fly.... :oops:

:oops: Remember to register your camera with Playa Info or Media Mecca if you're gonna take pictures for more than your friends, and Always ask first and Remember, No means No :!:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:18 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/DiCAPac-WP-300-Digi ... dZViewItem I got that for myn, but one thing they don't tell you is you can't use flash or it throws a shadow on the picture. Otherwise the pictures are clear. I may use it in a dust storm, will try w/no flash in daytime, but otherwise I'll be taking it out of the case or a ziplock for pics.

fenwick

Post by fenwick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:23 pm

If you bring a camera- then your observing "the show".

If you do not bring a camera - you can be the show.

I rather be in and of the show - memories last longer!

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:00 pm

fenwick wrote:If you bring a camera- then your observing "the show".

I'll be observing you while you participate in the part of the show I helped to build before I left.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Firmwood

Post by Firmwood » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:24 pm

There's no way I'm brining my SLR with me, so to make up for that (i need to take pictures, my memory does not afford me the luxury of storing much) I have purchased a cheap lomo camera.

16shots, so i'll be really selective about what I shoot, and I love the look and feel of the pictures, really analogue.

Plus shooting with 35mm film on a medium format camera gives some sexy results.

steveboy

Post by steveboy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

fenwick wrote:If you bring a camera- then your observing "the show".

I rather be in and of the show - memories last longer!
If I BRING a camera and I'm PUTTING ON a show, then I can get someone to take pictures of me PERFORMING IN the show. Of course, you will yell at them for not participating, and I'll have to bail my friend out while you explain to your lower GI doctor how you got a nonmedical camera up your smug ass.

munney

Post by munney » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 pm

:arrow: Lomography Rules :idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

Be the Event

:roll:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Return to “Power & Electronics”