Generators

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
StarShineScars

Generators

Post by StarShineScars » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm

This year we're planning on bringing up a generator. We need one that is between 1500-2000 continuous Watts. However, we really don't want to spend a grand to buy one of the Honda eu series the ones that I see people recommending on other posts. Has anyone had good luck with other brands? Like, they work the whole week.

Also, what do you all think is an acceptable decibel level?

If God had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller-skates. -Willy Wonka

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 pm

bring some deep-cycle 12V batteries as well, for when you either want quiet or require less then full-draw.

to save money, look for a used generator. If you can find a clean, working, second-hand generator (esp. honda), it will be much cheaper, and will continue to be reliable.

hondas are some of the easiest generators to use/maintain/repair, and are typically quite sturdy in thier build.

General Disorder

Post by General Disorder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:00 pm

1.) If it can be heard outside your camp. it is too loud.
2.) Can you sleep next to it without being drunk or stoned, or being up for 4 days? If not it's too noisy.
lets order up some disorder

justfred

Post by justfred » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:02 pm

What do you all think is an acceptable decibel level?
Zero. That (and reliability) is why people who need a generator spend the grand on a Honda. Or get one on Craigslist for a lot less.
What goes around, comes around.

lordgrizz

Post by lordgrizz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm

The solution I found last year was simple.
I bought the quietest genny I could afford. (not a Honda- 59 DBish) Built a baffle box, then camped next to the DPW compound.
The baffle box redirected a surprising amount of the noise skyward; and the reefer trailers and generators they had running non-stop pretty much drowned out any noise left over from the dinky one I brought.

At least none of my neighbors said anything about it.
Bullshit makes the flowers grow, and that's beautiful.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Build a baffle box, there's good threads on that buried somewhere on the eplaya.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:29 pm

General Disorder wrote:1.) If it can be heard outside your camp. it is too loud.
Seriously.

Please. The Honda EU is too loud. Get an EU and build a baffle box.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm

phil wrote:
General Disorder wrote:1.) If it can be heard outside your camp. it is too loud.
Seriously.

Please. The Honda EU is too loud. Get an EU and build a baffle box.
And don't camp near Hushville, we'll hush yer ass. Shhhhh!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:53 am

Every year people ask the same thing... I want a reliable and quiet generator but I don't want to buy one, what should I do?
Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine... that way it's gonna be fucking loud like the piece of shit you're probably going to subject the rest of us to, but at least it'll sound COOL!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:12 am

The best way to save money is to keep on the lookout for a used Honda. It will retain its value and won't need much money to keep running. You won't have to use money and valuable hauling space for a big plywood baffle. You won't cause your neighbors to hate you.

Start looking now before RVers gear up for Summer.

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:59 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Every year people ask the same thing... I want a reliable and quiet generator but I don't want to buy one, what should I do?
Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine... that way it's gonna be fucking loud like the piece of shit you're probably going to subject the rest of us to, but at least it'll sound COOL!
First off, I didn't say that I didn't want to buy one. All I did was ask a question that I didn't see answered in any of the searches I did. You know there's supposed to be this whole, share resources thing going on. Maybe someone out there has had some luck with other generators. There is absolutely no reason to be rude and disrespectful, which I think is something that happens way to much here on eplaya. We're all in this together. If you don't have something helpful, or if you're just going to be negative, then don't say anything at all.
If God had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller-skates. -Willy Wonka

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:02 am

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:09 am

ygmir wrote:Image

Ummm.. yeah that would be one of those unhelpful posts that I was talking about.

I guess I just don't understand what drives people to be so rude to one another. Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't that against a lot of what the spirit of the event is about? If you don't have enough respect to not be an ass on a message board then I can't see how you get by in your day to day life. Or maybe you just feel secure hiding behind your computer and you think that gives you the right.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 am

Harshness and frequency is more important than decibel rating.
Cheapest thing to do is buy use of a large generator, if possible.
I slept very near a huge generator last time.
It was much more pleasant than the cheap small ones.

I like these.
You don't have to buy a honda.
http://www.fischerpanda.com/

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 am

StarShineScars wrote: Ummm.. yeah that would be one of those unhelpful posts that I was talking about.

I guess I just don't understand what drives people to be so rude to one another. Perhaps I'm wrong but isn't that against a lot of what the spirit of the event is about?
Ummm...yeah...I guess you just don't understand; perhaps you are wrong.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:29 am

gyre wrote:Harshness and frequency is more important than decibel rating.
Cheapest thing to do is buy use of a large generator, if possible.
I slept very near a huge generator last time.
It was much more pleasant than the cheap small ones.

I like these.
You don't have to buy a honda.
http://www.fischerpanda.com/
Thanks. You know it actually might be a good idea to look into a bigger generator and split the cost between camp mates. Something to think about.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 am

Hey SunShineSores...
My post was funny.
Yours (the one that came after) was bitchy.

Lighten up. No, I'm not one of those people who hides behind a keyboard, half the goddamm playa knows who I am and how to find me and my very recognizable M/V.

I actually think a Harley generator would be cool. Not only would it sound bitchin', but think of all the shit you could do to it... wild pipes, some apehanger handle bars, OH Oh even a seat... that vibrated...

It's the kind of thing a burner would do!

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Hey SunShineSores...
My post was funny.

Lighten up. No, I'm not one of those people who hides behind a keyboard, half the goddamm playa knows who I am and how to find me and my very recognizable M/V.

I actually think a Harley generator would be cool. Not only would it sound bitchin', but think of all the shit you could do to it... wild pipes, some apehanger handle bars, OH Oh even a seat... that vibrated...

Give me a break. Your post was not funny. And by calling names in further posts it just gives further example as to your immature nature. So what if half the playa knows who you are (which is probably far from likely), you still wrote a post that if anything could be construed as being rude. Let's see I post a question asking about good acceptable volume generators and your response is "Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine" implying that if you don't get one of these two you might as well build something from harley since it's going to be just as loud. Do you want to tell me how exactly that was helpful in answering my question at all? It wasn't. It was a smart ass answer from someone who apparently thinks he's hot shit (i.e. your response).

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 am

How loud your generator is really doesn't matter. what matters is how loud is your sound system!

A new Genny with enough wattage to run shit should cost about $400. 4 or 5 sheets of plywood to make walls and partial roof will help with the noise. Put your genny next to anouther camps genny, share the noise area.

You can rent a genny (united rentals) that can run a very large camp, and have it refueled daily.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 am

StarShineScars wrote:
My post was funny.

Give me a break. Your post was not funny. And by calling names in further posts it just gives further example as to your immature nature. So what if half the playa knows who you are (which is probably far from likely), you still wrote a post that if anything could be construed as being rude. Let's see I post a question asking about good acceptable volume generators and your response is "Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine" implying that if you don't get one of these two you might as well build something from harley since it's going to be just as loud. Do you want to tell me how exactly that was helpful in answering my question at all? It wasn't. It was a smart ass answer from someone who apparently thinks he's hot shit (i.e. your response).
Me thinks you are not going to have a good time on the playa.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 am

"Me thinks you are not going to have a good time on the playa."

Actually I've been already and I've had a blast. Met a lot of great people. It's only here on the message board that I see just a few people who repeatedly act like asses. It's to be expected in a community so large, but still always a disappointment. I've gotten a lot of good information from here and most people are always helpful and responsive. Too bad some people ruin it.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 am

StarShineScars wrote:"Me thinks you are not going to have a good time on the playa."

Actually I've been already and I've had a blast. Met a lot of great people. It's only here on the message board that I see just a few people who repeatedly act like asses. It's to be expected in a community so large, but still always a disappointment. I've gotten a lot of good information from here and most people are always helpful and responsive. Too bad some people ruin it.
Too bad you don't have a sense of humor. Your skin is way too thin. IMHO

JK
JK

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:47 am

jkisha wrote:
StarShineScars wrote:
My post was funny.

JK
My two cents... the post was funny and yes the goddamn capt does think he is hot shit (and he very well might be, I can't tell). Are people here immature, you bet, it's not a fucking office. Finnaly, humm, I had another point, something about not having a good time, means someone is having a great timel.. yin/yang type thingy.

Anyway, welcome to eplaya and I hope your genny question got treated as it should.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

phil

Post by phil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 am

> How loud your generator is really doesn't matter.

Yes. It does matter.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

StarShineSores wrote: Give me a break. Your post was not funny. And by calling names in further posts it just gives further example as to your immature nature. So what if half the playa knows who you are (which is probably far from likely), you still wrote a post that if anything could be construed as being rude. Let's see I post a question asking about good acceptable volume generators and your response is "Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine" implying that if you don't get one of these two you might as well build something from harley since it's going to be just as loud. Do you want to tell me how exactly that was helpful in answering my question at all? It wasn't. It was a smart ass answer from someone who apparently thinks he's hot shit (i.e. your response).
Woohoo! Ok... I'll address your very serious concerns...
Most burners have an immature nature... the whole thing is about fun!
Any post "could be construed as being rude" when subject to interpretation by someone with a pretty short humor supply.
There is a LOT of joking around and light-hearted sarcastic ribbing on this board. There is no requirement that every and all posts address your problem... however, since you DON'T intend to get a quiet generator, I don't see what's wrong with building one that makes use of the sound it produces!
Have you been to the playa?? Have you seen the crazy-ass contraptions people build? Do you want to hear about some of the home-brew off-beat generators that have been built? I've done a few myself, welded motorcycle muffler to them, I even ran the exhaust from a generator into
a barrel of water so it'd make a more fun, burbly noise instead of the blare it used to make.
I just might know a fuck of a lot more about this subject than you thought I did.

I never said or implied I think I'm hot shit. I just said a hell of a lot of burners know who I am and how to find me. I've been going there a very long time, and I do have a very recognizable M/V.

Burning Man is a fun place inhabited by fun people. Don't ruin it for yourself by being such a bitch!

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

wedeliver wrote:
jkisha wrote:
StarShineScars wrote: Give me a break. Your post was not funny. And by calling names in further posts it just gives further example as to your immature nature. So what if half the playa knows who you are (which is probably far from likely), you still wrote a post that if anything could be construed as being rude. Let's see I post a question asking about good acceptable volume generators and your response is "Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine" implying that if you don't get one of these two you might as well build something from harley since it's going to be just as loud. Do you want to tell me how exactly that was helpful in answering my question at all? It wasn't. It was a smart ass answer from someone who apparently thinks he's hot shit (i.e. your response).

JK
My two cents... the post was funny and yes the goddamn capt does think he is hot shit (and he very well might be, I can't tell). Are people here immature, you bet, it's not a fucking office. Finnaly, humm, I had another point, something about not having a good time, means someone is having a great timel.. yin/yang type thingy.

Anyway, welcome to eplaya and I hope your genny question got treated as it should.
You know you're welcome to your own opinion. I don't find sarcasm and bad taste remarks to be humorous. That's my own view point on it. By immature I didn't really mean joking around, but more acting like a child by poking fun at one another. It feels like high school at points. You do realize that Burning Man is more than just forming your own little cliques and then acting like you're better than everyone else.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 am

StarShineScars wrote: Actually I've been already and I've had a blast. Met a lot of great people. It's only here on the message board that I see just a few people who repeatedly act like asses. It's to be expected in a community so large, but still always a disappointment. I've gotten a lot of good information from here and most people are always helpful and responsive. Too bad some people ruin it.
Let me help out with the eplayanese translation for you.

"Gee, it would be really nice of you to think about all of the aspects of bringing a generator out to the playa. I really hate having an extremely loud generator set up next to my camp. I can't even hear the wa wa in my head from that giant balloon of nitrous I just huffed down. Please don't just think of yourself and your needs when you pick out a generator, but of your neighbors also. Cheap generators usually are quite loud."

Better?

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
StarShineSores wrote: Give me a break. Your post was not funny. And by calling names in further posts it just gives further example as to your immature nature. So what if half the playa knows who you are (which is probably far from likely), you still wrote a post that if anything could be construed as being rude. Let's see I post a question asking about good acceptable volume generators and your response is "Well, if you're not going to get a Yamaha or Honda that is quiet, build your own with a Harley Davidson engine" implying that if you don't get one of these two you might as well build something from harley since it's going to be just as loud. Do you want to tell me how exactly that was helpful in answering my question at all? It wasn't. It was a smart ass answer from someone who apparently thinks he's hot shit (i.e. your response).
Woohoo! Ok... I'll address your very serious concerns...
Most burners have an immature nature... the whole thing is about fun!
Any post "could be construed as being rude" when subject to interpretation by someone with a pretty short humor supply.
There is a LOT of joking around and light-hearted sarcastic ribbing on this board. There is no requirement that every and all posts address your problem... however, since you DON'T intend to get a quiet generator, I don't see what's wrong with building one that makes use of the sound it produces!
Have you been to the playa?? Have you seen the crazy-ass contraptions people build? Do you want to hear about some of the home-brew off-beat generators that have been built? I've done a few myself, welded motorcycle muffler to them, I even ran the exhaust from a generator into
a barrel of water so it'd make a more fun, burbly noise instead of the blare it used to make.
I just might know a fuck of a lot more about this subject than you thought I did.

I never said or implied I think I'm hot shit. I just said a hell of a lot of burners know who I am and how to find me. I've been going there a very long time, and I do have a very recognizable M/V.

Burning Man is a fun place inhabited by fun people. Don't ruin it for yourself by being such a bitch!
First of all I did say that I was concerned about sound. So I'm not quite sure what you're talking about when I said that I didn't care about that. Just because I'm not willing to spend a $1,000 on a generator doesn't mean that I don't care about it being loud and not disturbing other people. I really don't think that you know jack shit about the topic considering you had NO answer for me regarding my question. If you would have just answered... hey I've built my own before, there's lots of options. That would have been a bit different.

You can think I'm a bitch all you want to. I could really care less about your abuses via eplaya. Personally I think it's you who is the one being an asshole or bitch or whatever word you want to use. All I did was voice my opinion that I thought your original post was in bad taste. Take a chill pill.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 am

StarShineSores wrote: I don't find sarcasm and bad taste remarks to be humorous.
This is the only thing you've said that isn't way off base!

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
StarShineSores wrote: I don't find sarcasm and bad taste remarks to be humorous.
This is the only thing you've said that isn't way off base!
If it isn't way off base then why make those kind of comments. You know I can understand if the post has progressed to the point where people are joking around and making those comments... or even more so in open discussion. But by making comments like that you make it so that people are afraid to ask anything for fear of getting ridiculed. People ask questions to get answers, not to be laughed at for asking it.

Return to “Power & Electronics”