POWER kites?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

vikb wrote:
Bob wrote:We're not here to deeply probe why the BRC-DMV made up certain rules out of thin mountain air, we're only here to parrot them.
In a nutshell: the only vehicles that should be driven at Burning Man are radical examples of vehicle mutation or participation, service vehicles, and vehicles for folks who have a physical disability.
Wind-powered vehicles that are allowed to operate within Black Rock City must meet certain criteria. They must have a pivoting mast, must operate while the sailor is in a standing position, and must weigh no more than 50 pounds.
Kite-sailing vehicles, land yachts, and wind-powered vehicles that have a fixed mast and weigh more than 50 pounds are not allowed to operate within Black Rock City. You may take your wind-powered vehicle to the Black Rock Airport and operate/store it there.
5 mph (or less, if kicking up dust, or in hazardous situations such as tight crowds)

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/playa_vehicles/
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... iving.html
Well Bob I have to give you credit for admitting you are just parroting a handful of rules written down to generically cover a 50,000+ event. And that you are not engaged in any radically intelligent analysis of the situation given what seems to be a complete lack of understanding of the specifics on your part. Knowing where we are coming from on an issue is critical and for sure any community needs parrots!
Oldguy wrote:vikb,
We value civil society. Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare and endeavor to communicate civic responsibilities to participants. They must also assume responsibility for conducting events in accordance with local, state and federal laws.

IMHO, Endangering others is not acting responsibly. You can break your arm outside the fence ifn' you want to ride the edge, but don't put others in danger. It's a safety issue.

I don't want the Pershing County Sheriff to hear this: " I'm sorry officer, I didn't mean to hit and kill her, honest, I didn't ". :cry:

cheers,

Vik
As you can see from my intent to talk to the DMV and BRC Rangers before I do anything I clearly have zero consideration for the interests of the larger community....*sigh*

cheers,

Vik

And I'm sure they'd love taking time to talk with you as much as we do. It's their job!

Anyhow, have fun boarding on this. I'd recommend a helmet, and a cup, though I'm sure your cup would fit over your head quite nicely.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:35 pm

well,
cups are handy if someone walks up and kicks you in the nuts.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

ygmir wrote:well,
Oh, and they will.

I can tell you right now what a Ranger will tell you: go to the airport and take it outside the fence. Take your ticket stub and I.D. with you (if you plan on returning, anyway).
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

vikb

Post by vikb » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:
ygmir wrote:well,
Oh, and they will.

I can tell you right now what a Ranger will tell you: go to the airport and take it outside the fence. Take your ticket stub and I.D. with you (if you plan on returning, anyway).
Perfect - thanks for saving me the time of actually talking to a human being. No point in taking the time to discuss things when we can just leap to uninformed decisions online.

=-)

Vik

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:28 am

go to the airport and take it outside the fence. Take your ticket stub and I.D.
Which is what I wrote in the first reply in the thread. Thanks for playing, Vikb, and mind the propwash.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:17 am

Bob wrote:Which is what I wrote in the first reply in the thread.
Amongst your other yadda yadda... :roll:
-AJ )'(

scoelius

Come Visit Black Rock Yacht Club - and landboarding

Post by scoelius » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 pm

You guys should all just come visit the Black Rock Yacht Club! We are actually a sanctioned theme camp with a love for the wind.

We teach playa-sailing and are a crew of kiters, windsurfers, and sailors from the bay area and beyond. We usually rig up a dozen or so land boards and sails and let people discover the playa wind.

The general rule about land-sailing in the Playa is to just stick to the section of the playa that is around 9pm and outer rim. You can no longer sail into the areas where the installations are etc.

That said, when it gets windy we have the windsurfers out, and this year we should have a couple of small 3/4m trainer kites to play with. I might even throw in my old 7m just for fun.

Come visit us and the veterans of the camp can explain all the regulations and generally tell you what is up with sailing at burning man. Its a blast!

The camp is BLACK ROCK YACHT CLUB. We usually are at about 845/9pm and outer rim. (The guide is wrong because they don't schedule theme camps into the outer rim area...) Just find us by the stack of windsurfers/landboards out in front of our camp and come say hi!
*thistle*

vikb

Re: Come Visit Black Rock Yacht Club - and landboarding

Post by vikb » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:35 pm

scoelius wrote:You guys should all just come visit the Black Rock Yacht Club! We are actually a sanctioned theme camp with a love for the wind.

We teach playa-sailing and are a crew of kiters, windsurfers, and sailors from the bay area and beyond. We usually rig up a dozen or so land boards and sails and let people discover the playa wind.

The general rule about land-sailing in the Playa is to just stick to the section of the playa that is around 9pm and outer rim. You can no longer sail into the areas where the installations are etc.

That said, when it gets windy we have the windsurfers out, and this year we should have a couple of small 3/4m trainer kites to play with. I might even throw in my old 7m just for fun.

Come visit us and the veterans of the camp can explain all the regulations and generally tell you what is up with sailing at burning man. Its a blast!

The camp is BLACK ROCK YACHT CLUB. We usually are at about 845/9pm and outer rim. (The guide is wrong because they don't schedule theme camps into the outer rim area...) Just find us by the stack of windsurfers/landboards out in front of our camp and come say hi!
Whoa! A thoughtful intelligent constructive response actually based on facts??? Are you sure you are allowed to post stuff like this here? I mean Bob and his peeps might track you down at the burn and give you the stink eye!....=-)

Sounds great and confirms my research that kite boarding was in fact allowed inside the event fence over near 9 o'clock.

I'm bringing a mtn board, 2.3m trainer kite and a 4m kite. I have some inflatable SLE water kites [6m, 9m, 12m], but they are too precious to use on land.

I would love to try a landboard with a sail attached - looks like fun.

I'll bring beer and look forward to meeting your camp.

If Bob mellows out after some Scrabble, tequila and bubble wrap popping I might bring him as well...=-)

cheers,

Vik

playboyvonpandaman
Burning Since: 2020

Re: POWER kites?

Post by playboyvonpandaman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 pm

I know this thread is pretty old as well as the threads on Powerkite and Kiteforum but Will there be a BLACK ROCK YACHT CLUB in 2017?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 am

That's an interesting question. I saw boards out there last year but were they allowed? I don't know.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

I'm just a little pissed that I didn't notice how old the OP was & I allowed myself to get totally sucked in to this thread. I thought it was weird to hear from the couch after all this time.

But really, if someone knows how to handle their equipment they are probably no more dangerous than a skydiver or a rouge wind swept Zorb. I also thought it was forbidden to go beyond the trash fence unless you were going to see Daft Punk.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:21 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:probably no more dangerous than a skydiver or a rouge wind swept Zorb.
I'd like to think that Bob is out there, blowing that Zorb out of control...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:23 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:probably no more dangerous than a skydiver or a rouge wind swept Zorb.
I'd like to think that Bob is out there, blowing that Zorb out of control...
I like that.

It's been almost a year now.

It really makes you want to embrace the 10th principal & live for the moment.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Power & Electronics”