Handy hint if you lose your camera

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
TD-2441
Burning Since: 2008

Handy hint if you lose your camera

Post by TD-2441 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:53 am

I couldn't believe how many people posted up about lost cameras last year. So here's what you do. Type or write clearly your name and email on a piece of paper, then take a photo of it - then if you lose your camera, hopefully the person who finds it will look thru the pics and hey presto - there's one of your name and contact email.

If you change your memory card mid week then obviously, re-photo your details again ;)

Have a great Burn, I'm not going this year but returning in 2010!!!
"I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert". - Demetri Martin

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:55 am

one hell of an idea....

:D

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 am

that doesn't help at all if they rip your camera from your RV while you are sleeping in it.

Good idea, though.

So is attaching it to your backpack or belt or whatever with a carabiner, and a piece of elastic or something equivalent.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

TD-2441
Burning Since: 2008

Post by TD-2441 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 am

Well sure, if they are gonna steal it they won't give a crap about any personal details left ;) But I was amazed to see how many honest Burners had posted up about cameras they'd found - instead of just putting them on eBay. They recognised that the value of the photos on the camera are worth more than the camera anyday!

Word of warning - don't put your home address on the piece of paper as if it's found part way thru the week the "finder" (if he's dishonest) could despatch "friends" to your address just to see if the place is empty........Just a name and email will suffice ;)
"I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert". - Demetri Martin

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:30 am

I have a brutally expensive camera that I need for my work. Methinks it will stay at home.

Any ideas for a cheap ($100) digital that's worth bringing?

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Id reccomend the casio elixim...worked well for me out there...still works too, not sure of the price though.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks!

Coastburner

Post by Coastburner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I don't see if online at Costco but I just bought the Casio Exilm 6 camera for about $130 or so on sale. I got one a few years back that worked great until I dropped it one too many times. It still works but it was time for a new one. Good deal for the money.

Coastburner

Coastburner

Post by Coastburner » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I don't see it online at Costco.com but I just bought the Casio Exilm 6 camera for about $130 or so on sale in the store. I got one a few years back that worked great until I dropped it one too many times. It still works but it was time for a new one. Good deal for the money.

Coastburner

Return to “Power & Electronics”