Light up your bike.......please!!

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Light up your bike.......please!!

Post by LostinReno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Is it just me or did it seem like there were hundreds of fucktards riding around with no lights at night? I was actually hit while I was stopped on my lit up bike by one of these people. This was shortly after several near misses out on the open playa. Just curious if anyone else thought this was a whole lot worse than normal?

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:44 am

I was biking back from the Temple in a dust storm when I almost ran into some pedestrians, unlit. So I said, "You have no light!"

That must have gone misinterpreted, since I just got curses from the dark figures. :D

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Terrible. I must of yelled "You need lights!" a hundred times last week. People need to be clued in. They were everywhere.....and a few times I had to stop short and almost wrecked. More than ever it seemed, and everywhere.

A little tiny glowstick thats on its last breath does NOT constitute for being lit up either!! Saw many barely lit folks as well and folks with NO lights at all.

This drunk brit stumbled into our camp the night of the burn and needed a place to rest. He was completely dark. We let him pass out in one of our camp chairs and attached blinkies to his sneakers.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 pm

yup. it certanly was the year of the dark wad.
don't forget to floss

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:45 pm

I may have said "Get a light!" and in my dehydrated windblown dust-muffled state it may sound like "Get a life!"

Which ironically could be the same thing...

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I was stopped at some letter and some time, on the far right side of the road, i thought I was safely off the road, standing straddling my bike, watching a great stage full of stripper poles, and acrobat dancers. My hat had flashing lights on it. My water bottle was lit up, my bike wheels had blinking lights. I had a bike headlight. A person with no lights on at all, stumbled near the back wheel of my bike.... and roundly chastised me that that was dangerous at night. ?

mode-of-operation

Post by mode-of-operation » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Holy Cow! This was my first year and I'm 37 and had no problem seeing people who were not lit up. So if you couldn't see these people with a full moon out, you need glasses or fewer injested substances. I'm not saying that everyone should go without a light, I had several, but it isn't as nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be.

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:24 am

mode-of-operation wrote:Holy Cow! This was my first year and I'm 37 and had no problem seeing people who were not lit up. So if you couldn't see these people with a full moon out, you need glasses or fewer injested substances. I'm not saying that everyone should go without a light, I had several, but it isn't as nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be.
It gets really dark along the back streets and the deep playa, and you can't always count on a full moon and no obscuring dust at night. I would have been run over my first year if not for a mysterious playa angel who emerged out of a dust storm to provide me with a glow stick, alchohol, and warmup hugs and just as quickly faded back into the dust just prior to me almost getting sideswiped by an art car who only stopped to say "good thing you were wearing that glowstick."

I've been gifting glowy to the darkwads every year since. It's my way of honoring the cute little playa angel who might have saved a star-gazer's life out on the deep playa.

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 am

[quote="mode-of-operation"]Holy Cow! This was my first year and I'm 37 and had no problem seeing people who were not lit up. So if you couldn't see these people with a full moon out, you need glasses or fewer injested substances. I'm not saying that everyone should go without a light, I had several, but it isn't as nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be.[/quote]

It was as bad as people say, including me. Walkers and bikes need to be lit. In my car on the road I use my headlights in the daytime, not to see, but to be seen. Please, be defensive and light yourself up.

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:53 am

All i have to say is i had this on for most of the time at night and people still all most ran me over heh

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

oleg8888

Re: Light up your bike.......please!!

Post by oleg8888 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 pm

LostinReno wrote:...... I was actually hit while I was stopped on my lit up bike by one of these people. ....
Anyone else see anything wrong with this statement?

Some one without lights run in to you LIT up bike?

Dude, you need to really lit up your bike :wink:

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:00 pm

People with lights can be hit by people without lights for the same reason that people can be hit in broad daylight.

mode-of-operation

Post by mode-of-operation » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Well I can say this. The only time I even came close to being hit was when I was on foot. I had a light around my neck and it was red. The idot on the mutant golf cart was hauling ass across the playa screaming at everyone telling them to get a light, including myself. So It wasn't me that was the problem it was the moron on the mutant vehicle going 20 mph.

Also when your car/bike is lit up like a Christmas tree, it reduces your night vision which will effect your ability to see beyond the light your car/bike produces. So you have difficulty seeing people because of your own lights. And when your staring at the naked chick/dude don't get pissed at me cause you didn't see me.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:24 pm

mode-of-operation wrote: And when your staring at the naked chick/dude don't get pissed at me cause you didn't see me.
I'm only watching them to find out if they are doing the Douglas Adams or am I going to have to wipe the bar stool with clorox, when they sit down.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:16 am

Rudest little city in the world... no shortage of people telling you what to do.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

dewnorth

RED lights rock

Post by dewnorth » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:22 am

I could see so much better using my red lights rather than my white lights. White just gave me tunnel vision. The moon helped a lot, which can't be depended on year to year depending on it's phase during BM.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 am

Bob wrote:Rudest little city in the world... no shortage of people telling you what to do.
Right, I should have gone around yelling; "LIVE DANGEROUSLY! EMBRACE THE WIND!"

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:35 pm

If you get run over by some fucktard in a golfcart the fucktard is at fault. Unfortunately you are the one who is injured. When you are out and about at night get lit up the kneecap you save may be your own.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm

Our bikes at night this year:

gyre

THERE WILL BE GLARE

Post by gyre » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:10 am

Feel free to chant "I had the right of way" as they cart you to reno on a board, if you go out there with poor lighting.

Traffic includes art cars with high glare lighting and law enforcement going 50 mph wearing sunglasses.
The windshield will be dusty on both sides.
The sunglasses, regular glasses and dust goggles will all be dusty on both sides.

If you don't stand out against the glare of elwire bikes and other car headlights through the dust, make sure you have good insurance coverage.

Chemical glowsticks are totally laughable for visibility.

I wear multiple LED glowsticks when I'm off the bike plus the headlamp.
I just upgraded from the 3 watt headlamp to a 9 watt with the newer luxeons, so six times brighter.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 am

Hey! Watch where the fuck you are going!

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Hey! Watch where the fuck you are going!
:lol: :lol: :lol: That was it! Most of the darkwads (I love that term!) were flying through not paying attention to much. At least with the glare, others that were lit up were easy to see coming at you, you could get out of the way. Yada,yada,yada, there was a full moon. I still couldn't see squat out there at night with all the other distractions and glare (mostly from dust in and outside of the goggles). If your going to stop and grab your $80 Wally bike, at least spend anther 5 bucks to buy a headlamp! Geesh!

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 pm

How about the lines of people stretched across the entire street, dressed in brown and ambling slowly and darkly, who were always shocked when you suddenly saw them and desperately wove around them to avoid hitting anyone?
They thought it was quite rude that anyone else would try to use the street.

Water and shelter is required.
Can't we require people to bring something visible or send them back to the empire store to buy one?
Or do I have to use that 9-watts in the city just to avoid flipping a bike over some fool with a glowstick around his neck?

Two feet of visual warning isn't that useful.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 pm

The speed limit is 5 mph, asshole.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Who are you referring to?

phil

Post by phil » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

The idot on the mutant golf cart was hauling ass across the playa screaming at everyone telling them to get a light, including myself. So It wasn't me that was the problem it was the moron on the mutant vehicle going 20 mph.
Musta been DPW. :->

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 am

phil wrote:
The idot on the mutant golf cart was hauling ass across the playa screaming at everyone telling them to get a light, including myself. So It wasn't me that was the problem it was the moron on the mutant vehicle going 20 mph.
Don't they mutate golf carts by taking the doors off and letting it go at that?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:36 am

gyre wrote:
phil wrote:
Don't they mutate golf carts by taking the doors off and letting it go at that?
This is the place where someone might suggest that some members of DPW might well not be shy about using another's golf cart. Then we get into the inevitable discussion about the character of DPW members and substance usage and all sorts of ugliness, so maybe we should just let this thread die here.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:10 am

Psychic thread drift?

phil

Post by phil » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:25 am

> maybe we should just let this thread die here.

What happens on the Playa stays on ePlaya forever.

Return to “Power & Electronics”