For your camera

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

For your camera

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:22 pm

I just found these at REI and they look pretty useful - sealable bags that claim to be clear enough to shoot photos thru and tightly sealed enough to be waterproof. They have lots of sizes. Could be good for a number of things. I bought one that I'll try for my camera. Amazon has 'em. Try google 'Dry Pak' (trade name).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... _120&fsc=5

Ke'Chara

Post by Ke'Chara » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:05 pm

That's a really good idea. I'm a bargain Burner and will probably just use a ziplock. :)
"One does not grow old. When one stops growing, one becomes old." ~anonymous~

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 pm

They're not too bad, but like everything on the playa, the dust rulz! It WILL get in that bag...I speak from experience. With reasonable precautions, it should work OK...just don't expect 100% dustfree.

I originally got the bag for sea kayaking in salt water...but the salt air just waits for the moment you take that sucker outta the bag...then POUNCES...as will the dust! Also, the camera controls and knobs are a little hard to adjust in the bag.

Lots of the pro photogs here go for the really expensive covers, others just use their old backup cameras, which is what I do. I've been using the same camera on the playa for 5 years and it still works fine...except the zoom feature...but that malfunction was caused by salt water.

Take your camera to REI if feasible, and try it out. For kayaking I now use a waterproof/dustproof camera. I take my older camera to the playa:

1. If it gets dusty...I don't care
2. If it breaks...no big loss

Everyone's mileage differs on this.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

kickstart

Post by kickstart » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Indeed you can shoot through these. Great for the smaller P&S cameras with the retractable lenses.

http://www.rei.com/product/752384

mode-of-operation

Post by mode-of-operation » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 am

I had one of those things and they suck. The plastic can distort your picture or prevent your camera from focusing on your subject. And the plastic is so thick you cannot use most of the controls on your camera. Either buy a cheap camera that you don't mind what happens to it, use an old camera or use the cheap disposable cameras.

Some cameras have expensive hard molded plastic that is made for your specific model. Although expensive, around $200.00 for some, they will completely prevent all dust unless you open it. You can use most of the controls and you'll have no worries. Other than cost, the only down side is how bulky you camera will be.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:30 am

I had one of those things and they suck
Dang. Oh well, I bought the thing so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:32 am

I shot this video on my Cannon P&S in Iguazu using Dry Pak from REI.

[youtube][/youtube]

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:49 am

REI = Return Every Item
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 am

dragonpilot wrote:REI = Return Every Item
Never had any issues with gear I've purchased from there.

psychoalpha
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Anita

Post by psychoalpha » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm

I figure I'd put this question here:

I'm not a serious photographer by any stretch, so I'm wondering what kind of camera I should take. I'm pretty into outdoor sports, so I have an Olympus Tough - shockproof, freezeproof, waterproof, etc.

Should I take it? Or will I be okay with just taking disposable cameras which is what I'd prefer (I think). Anyone taken an Olympus Tough before?

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:42 pm

psychoalpha wrote:I figure I'd put this question here:

I'm not a serious photographer by any stretch, so I'm wondering what kind of camera I should take. I'm pretty into outdoor sports, so I have an Olympus Tough - shockproof, freezeproof, waterproof, etc.

Should I take it? Or will I be okay with just taking disposable cameras which is what I'd prefer (I think). Anyone taken an Olympus Tough before?
I took mine (stylus tough) last year and it worked great. No problems at all. Don't try and take flash photos though, they'll look awful with all the dust in the air. :)

kman

Post by kman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 pm

psychoalpha wrote:I figure I'd put this question here:

I've not been impressed with the quality of the photos the camera takes, from a pure technical standpoint, but clearly that's not your concern.

Other than that, they're nearly the perfect playa camera.

Return to “Power & Electronics”